Boston & NYC with Acela in between

tocoto

I took a trip on the Acela express, the high speed Amtrack train that travels between Boston and DC. The train is just amazingly comfortable, quiet, and fast. WAY better than a plane, plus it goes through some interesting cities.

I was amazed to go from the Rt 128 station near Boston to downtown Providence in 16 minutes. Makes me believe those two cities really are in the same metro.

I have more shots of NYC, but will put them in another thread as this one was getting long.

Acela at South Station in Boston

acelanyc001.jpg

Some buildings around the station early in the AM

acelanyc1.jpg

acelanyc2.jpg

acelanyc3.jpg

acelanyc4.jpg

acelanyc006.jpg

acelanyc8.jpg

acelanyc007.jpg

Below the highways in Boston

acelanyc010.jpg

Going through the city

acelanyc011.jpg

Downtown Providence

acelanyc021.jpg

Some Providence grit

acelanyc026.jpg

RI/CT coast

acelanyc029.jpg

acelanyc030.jpg

Groton CT where nuclear subs are built

acelanyc037.jpg

New Haven CT

acelanyc043.jpg

Bronx NY

acelanyc045.jpg

Bowels of Manhattan

acelanyc047.jpg

Deliver us from Penn Station

acelanyc049.jpg

Outside Penn Station in NYC

acelanyc051.jpg

I'll post some good shots of NYC in the next few days.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cost was $84 each way for a seat the size of the one in your SUV and a ride as quiet as a Mercedes (well Cadillac anyhow). A hassel free trip, which is a real pleasure for anyone who has traveled from Boston to NY by plane, bus, or car (or stagecoach for that matter).

Everytime I've taken Acela, it's been a disaster (last time it was litterally to escape a disaster, I left NYC on Sept. 13th 2001 to go hide at my parents house in Mass.)

Previous to that, when I lived in Boston I was on business in NYC on two different weekends in the same winter. Happened to be the 2 weekends that NYC was socked by snow. All the airports were shut and I spent 6 or 7 hours in Penn Station waiting, hoping to get a train. That much time in Penn Station does some pretty strange things to a person.

Guest donaltopablo

Very nice pics. I think for my next trip to the NE I'm going to take the train. I love road trips and driving, but that just seems like a great way to get around up there.

I imagine it's much better than arriving by one of the airports!

I dunno, I' haven't "arrived" in Manhattan, but the potential, and likely, aerial views, and then the great view of driving into Midtown from Laguardia's awesome.

-

Guest donaltopablo

I dunno, I' haven't "arrived" in Manhattan, but the potential, and likely, aerial views, and then the great view of driving into Midtown from Laguardia's awesome.

I drove through Manhattan and NYC a couple of times, and was surprised, it wasn't all that special. But then again, that's compared with hitting it at street level which I think is one of the most appealing aspects of hitting NYC. Aerials are pretty cool flying in, no doubt about that. But I think as a change of pace, or as a regular thing, I would think arriving in Manhattan on train would be much preferred IMHO.

The train goes through a tunnel under the East River(?) and arrives in Manhattan underground. Penn Station is functional but nothing fancy. On the train, you can see the city from a distance, and it is impressive. The amazing transition is coming out of the station into the street and seeing the incredible density and size of buildings everywhere along with hordes of people and cars. I can't imagine driving through Manhattan and not considering it unusual unless you live there. The streets are packed with cars and absolutely maniacal taxis. The number of hirises of all kinds is mindblowing, far greater than any other city in the US.

The view of Manhattan from the Hell Gate Bridge and viaduct is one of the most dramatic available. I used to live right near the viaduct (I would wait for the subway everyday under it) it was cool to see the Acela going over it.

Archived