Freedom Gondola

rbdetsport

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You actually wanted that eyesore on Hart Plaza? Did you see the rendering with the towers and cars or did you only read about the project? I'm glad that project died like we don't have enough crap taking up space in Hart Plaza. Our riverfornt is too nice to allow something this stupid and gimmicky to built on it; we already have enough eyesores like Ford Audtorium without people trying to add another

Yeah those thirty story towers sure are beautiful. :rolleyes: Those things are as aesthically pleasing as the Washginton Blvd money bars, nobody is going care how modern the terminal is when you have that crap sticking out the ground. Sometimes less is more

COPYRIGHTED PHOTO DELETED

• 1 month later...

Ick..very ugly looking, and not to mention, a waste of money.  An easily accessible ferry terminal would be a far better altenrative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more! That ugly thing is the last thing we on our beautiful new riverwalk. I like the idea of a ferry across the water.

Personally, I don't think that it would destroy the skyline at all, and add a new dimension to the border. I think it's definitely something where the benefits would outweigh any thing negative.

If it's only novelty and wouldn't be used much, then it's probably not the best idea.

• 1 month later...

I dont like the current location they showed in heart plaza. If they were to move it further east and into the Tricentennial park area i would be for that. They could turn those giant supports into an architectural statement if done properly. It could be similar to why we find bridges so nice. Their beauty is found in the contruction and what holds it together. As far as being a waste of money that couldnt be further from the truth. Ive read up alot on this Gondola and it would be all privately financed. All the city would have to do is approve it. The developer also has said that if it was to flop, which he doesnt think it will, that he would pay to have it removed. I dont see how this could be seen as a negative. The developer thinks that this would be a big attraction for the city and could become iconic like the St. Louis arch. I wouldnt go that far but I think this would make Detroit more attractive to tourists.

Archived