Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got to go in there and check it out. My parents went there and said they had everything. I think we'll be seeing more of these super grocery stores around the country. Its sort of like other retailers such as Walmart. They started out with smaller stores. Now they are like twice the size.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder how long SEARS has before Starmount Corp. terminates their lease?

That is a huge piece of real estate right between the new and old section on Friendly center and SEARS

has been a ghost town for the last 15 years.

I personally think Sears is in its dieing days in Greensboro. When ever it does close down, you can bet retail chains will be looking at the property. I think if Nordstroms ever comes to Friendly Center, the Sears location would be a good site. They would have to tear the existing building down becasue its out of date and then build a much fancier building.

Sears isn't quite dead at Friendly Center. It still does decent business. I think as long as there's a Sears chain, there will be a Sears there or somewhere nearby.

I also don't think Nordstrom is ready for Greensboro yet. I'd like to see one come to Friendly, and they probably will eventually, but I think that'll be a few years out. They've got a full opening schecdule through 2010, and it's gong to be hard to get rid of Sears, since they own their building and parking lot.

I didn't know that SEARS owned the building & parking lot. I think that if starmount corp. wants to get rid of them they can. I know that they pushed out the terrace theatre, I believe they owned the building also.

Sears isn't quite dead at Friendly Center. It still does decent business. I think as long as there's a Sears chain, there will be a Sears there or somewhere nearby.

I also don't think Nordstrom is ready for Greensboro yet. I'd like to see one come to Friendly, and they probably will eventually, but I think that'll be a few years out. They've got a full opening schecdule through 2010, and it's gong to be hard to get rid of Sears, since they own their building and parking lot.

HA! :rofl: There is nothing 'grand' about SEARS. Unless you are shopping for old lady nightgowns, boy's Toughskin pants or Jolaps (aka bobos) shoes.

I think if anything should happen, logically Sears would leave Friendly Center and then move into the current Super K-mart and turn it into a "Sears Grand" store. That's my prediction (which I seem to be good at predicting haha) ;)!

HA! :rofl: There is nothing 'grand' about SEARS. Unless you are shopping for old lady nightgowns, boy's Toughskin pants or Jolaps (aka bobos) shoes.

Most people I know only go there to buy tools or appliances anyway. That building does look outdated compared to the rest of Friendly Center, with the exception of the Post Office.

• 2 months later...

100 condos are being planned for the upscale Shops at Friendly Center. Starting at $400,000 to $1,000,000 condos. The condos will be in a 5-story building with units ranging from 2,000 to 4,000 square feet. some units may be corporate apartments. Its already a pretty wealthy area of town. Brooks Brothers will be opening there this year too. It will be the Triad's first upscale national clothing chain store.

There is also another retail construction phase on the north end of the property. This is truely a unique shopping center for the Triad. When combining the retail sqaure footage of Friendly Center and the Shops at Friendly, its larger than Four Seasons Town Centre. Indoor malls could become a thing of the past and outdoor lifestly malls will be popping up all over the country. Friendly Center was way ahead of its time. It opened in 1957 and that kind of shopping experience is just now catching on.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70303003

385504760_1cb72d9c54.jpg

here are the stores and restaurants at the Shops at Friendly Center

CLOTHING

- White House/Black Market

- Talbots Petites

- Talbots

- Soma by Chico's

- Pendleton

- Lane Bryant

- Foot Locker

- Lady Foot Locker

- Brooks Brothers (coming soon)

- Johnston & Murphy

- Soho Shoes

- Ann Taylor

- J. Jill

- J. Crew

- Francesca's Collections

- Coldwater Creek

- Chico's

- Cacique

- Acorn

HAIR AND BEAUTY

- Jade Aveda Salon

- Luxury Nails & Spa

- The Jewel Box

SPORTS AND OUTDOORS

- REI

RESTAURANTS

- Ben & Jerry's

- Bravo! Cucina Italiana

- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine

- Jason's Deli

- Mimi's Cafe

- P.F. Chang's China Bistro

MISC

- Swoozie's

- Cingular Wireless

Edited by cityboi

This is the type of development that Billy Prim has proposed for and around the baseball stadium in Winston. At least in Winston it is going to be located in the Center City. It is suppose to be patterened after Birkdale Villiage in Lake Norman which is similiar to The Shoppes at Friendly, except the Shoppes at Friendly do not have residental above. Sounds nice for Greensboro, but another blow for downtown development and revitilizaiton when downtown is trying to attract more retail and residential. Just another example of how Greensboro has no vision for downtown. They build skyscrapers in the suburbs and now residential in suburban shopping centers. DGI should be working to attract this type of development near and around downtown. It's places like Friendly Center that drew people away from downtown originally.

Edited by triadguy37

This is the type of development that Billy Prim has proposed for and around the baseball stadium in Winston. At least in Winston it is going to be located in the Center City. It is suppose to be patterened after Birkdale Villiage in Lake Norman which is similiar to The Shoppes at Friendly, except the Shoppes at Friendly do not have residental above. Sounds nice for Greensboro, but another blow for downtown development and revitilizaiton when downtown is trying to attract more retail and residential. Just another example of how Greensboro has no vision for downtown. They build skyscrapers in the suburbs and now residential in suburban shopping centers. DGI should be working to attract this type of development near and around downtown. It's places like Friendly Center that drew people away from downtown originally.

unfortunately, high end stores such as Brooks Brothers are not going to locate downtown in any Triad city. They are going to locate near very wealthy neighborhoods. Its not that Greensboro has no vision, its the developer's choice to build where he or she pleases. DGI and other organizations cant force Starmount or any other developer to build downtown. I dont think its going to hurt downtown because there is a different retail market downtown anyway. The retail tends to be locally owned small, unique boutiques which adds to the uniqueness of downtown.

If anything, this kind of development will attract more residential in the downtown area because Friendly Center is only about 2 miles from downtown. When developers build residential projects the look to see whats in a 2 or 3 mile radius of the development site. Sometomes retail may not want to be in downtown but they want to take advantage of the downtown market. Office Depot is a good example. A new one was built barely a mile north of downtown off of Wendover Ave.

I expect Billy prims development is going to be a success but you arent going to see stores there like Brooks Brothers, Pendleton, Ann Taylor, Macy's, Foot Locker and other stores found in most malls. The demographics arent there yet in downtown Winston or even downtown Greensboro for that matter. Thats the difference between the Shops at Friendly and Bill Prim's baseball stadium development.

One good thing about the shops at Friendly residential development is that its focusing on inner city infill development. At least these 100 condos arent 100 suburban homes adding to urban sprawl.

Edited by cityboi

I expect Billy prims development is going to be a success but you arent going to see stores there like Brooks Brothers, Pendleton, Ann Taylor, Macy's, Foot Locker and other stores found in most malls. The demographics arent there yet in downtown Winston or even downtown Greensboro for that matter. Thats the difference between the Shops at Friendly and Bill Prim's baseball stadium development.

I will have to disagree. With all of the high end to $1,000,000 condos proposed in dt Winston and around the Old Salem, Gateway, College Park, West End Village and the existing West End, I think the demographic will be there for high end retail in this development. Plus those folks who work downtown would be more likely to shop in these retail stores more often during weekly business days as porposed to driving to Hanes Mall.

Foot Locker is considered upscale? :lol:

Trust me, there will be some high-end retail in the new baseball development if Billy really pushes it and follows up on it. The ballpark is located in a not-so-nice area but is located less than 2 miles away from one of the wealthiest (if not the) neighborhoods in the Triad and the middle class neighborhoods of West End and Ardmore where many young professionals, doctors, and lawyers live.

so are you saying the retail around Winston's ballpark will include a Macys? Brooks Brothers? Belks? Ann Taylor? Lane Bryant? Bananna Republic? Coldwater Creek? Johnston & Murphy? REI? Uptown Charlotte doesnt even have those stores yet.

Edited by cityboi

so are you saying the retail around Winston's ballpark will include a Macys? Brooks Brothers? Belks? Ann Taylor? Lane Bryant? Bananna Republic? Coldwater Creek? Johnston & Murphy

? REI? Uptown Charlotte doesnt even have those stores yet.

It is my understanding that the people who developed Birkdale Villiage are working to develop the retail portion of the ballpark area. Here is a list of retail currently at Birkdale Villiage and these are the kind of retail shops that I expect to see in the ballpark area. Do you really think the city and county would have put up that much money for anything less.

http://www.birkdalevillage.net/directory.htm

Edited by triadguy37

so are you saying the retail around Winston's ballpark will include a Macys? Brooks Brothers? Belks? Ann Taylor? Lane Bryant? Coldwater Creek? Johnston & Murphy

? REI? Uptown Charlotte doesnt even have those stores yet.

Well first of all I can say Macy*s and Belk won't enter since a department store isn't included in the mix of stores. But, yes we might see upscale retail enter here though upper-middle class retail is much more likely, remember that Nordstrom once considered us for a store of theirs but left due to lack of parking. I think the stores that would be the most prone to end up at the ballpark development would be Talbot's, Chico's, Bombay, Bath and Body Works, Williams Sonoma, Victoria's Secret, and the like. Uptown Charlotte doesn't have those stores yet because 1) they don't have a sustainable population for chain retail that you mentioned 2) they have an upscale neighbor (South Park) 3-4 miles away where all those stores exist and would much rather locate there than in downtown and 3) Uptown is a 9-5 area and many workers would much rather go to Birkdale/Northlake or South Park to get their shopping done.

It is my understanding that the people who developed Birkdale Villiage are working to develop the retail portion of the ballpark area. Here is a list of retail currently at Birkdale Villiage and these are the kind of retail shops that I expect to see in the ballpark area. Do you really think the city and county would have put up that much money for anything less.

http://www.birkdalevillage.net/directory.htm

just because the same developer is involved doesnt mean its going to have those stores. no downtown in NC is going to have them anytime soon. and Charlotte would be the first NC city to get them.

Thats like saying downtown Greensboro is ready for Macys, Banna Republic, ect. Its a little far fetched at this time. and downtown Greensboro area has just as much residential as Winston including the affluent Sunset hills and Irving Park north of downtown.

The county is putting up so much money for the ballpark project because it knows its getting the money back through baseball game ticket sales, ect. Prim said he'd pay the balance if sales come short.

Im not saying there wont be upscale stores in the project. im saying you are not going to see the common upscale stores that you see at friendly and malls across the country. (Brooks Brothers, Banna Republic, Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant, Lerner New York, ect) especially in a pedestrian oriented development.

Edited by cityboi

just because the same developer is involved doesnt mean its going to have those stores. no downtown in NC is going to have them anytime soon. and Charlotte would be the first NC city to get them.

Thats like saying downtown Greensboro is ready for Macys, Banna Republic, ect. Its a little far fetched at this time. and downtown Greensboro area has just as much residential as Winston including the affluent Sunset hills and Irving Park north of Fisher Park.

The county is putting up so much money for the ballpark project because it knows its getting the money back through ticket sales, ect. Im not saying there wont be upscale stores in the project. im saying you are going to see the common upscale stores that you see at friendly and malls across the country. (Brooks Brothers, Banna Republic, Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant, Lerner New York, ect)

You are quite uninformed about this project by your comments. Birkdale Villiage is located at Lake Norman, so yes there is a place in NC that has these shops.

This information came from winstonsalemskyscrapers.com

http://www.winstonsalemskyscrapers.com/for...sc&start=75

Prim brought-in Crosland for their long established relationships with retailers and experience building these villages. I would expect all chains! Crosland will design, build and be in charge of leasing to retail tenants. I think he wants this to be simi-upscale, sort of like Crosland's other village-style developments. Afterall, it is located in an area with large Victorian mansions, expensive condos and this development will also likely have expensive residences. Crosland looks for population and wealth with-in 1-5 miles, easy highway and major road access and areas with a high daytime population for their retail developments. That described downtown very well. I have a strong feeling the tenent mix will be similar to some of their other developments like this one. He also wants this to be a destination. Winston-Salem doesn't really have anything like that when it comes to retail.

http://www.crosland.com/properties_service...se_development/

Edited by triadguy37