Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

• 4 weeks later...

Photos of Friendly through the years

friendlyphotos1.jpg

friendlyphotos2.jpg

friendlyphotos3.jpg

friendlyphotos4.jpg

This was the forum 6 mall. It was a mall within a mall so to speak and it was also built in the same year Carolina Circle mall and Four Seasons mall were built. in 1976 Greensboro had 3 enclosed malls.

friendlyphotos5.jpg

friendlyphotos6.jpg

friendlyphotos7.jpg

friendlyphotos8.jpg

friendlyphotos9.jpg

an interesting story to go along

50 YEARS OF FRIENDLY CENTET

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/70818026

Edited by cityboi

I loved Forum VI!

I wonder what the implications today would be if funding was available to enclose the Friendly Center. Some of the largest malls in the US were once open air shopping centers and were then enclosed in the 70s. Green Acres Mall and Garden State Plaza in the NYC metro, as well as Lennox Square in Buckhead were.

Photos of Friendly through the years

friendlyphotos1.jpg

friendlyphotos2.jpg

friendlyphotos3.jpg

friendlyphotos4.jpg

This was the forum 6 mall. It was a mall within a mall so to speak and it was also built in the same year Carolina Circle mall and Four Seasons mall were built. in 1976 Greensboro had 3 enclosed malls.

friendlyphotos5.jpg

friendlyphotos6.jpg

friendlyphotos7.jpg

friendlyphotos8.jpg

friendlyphotos9.jpg

an interesting story to go along

50 YEARS OF FRIENDLY CENTET

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/70818026

The lifestyle centers are just a trend just as enclosed malls were back in the late 60's to mid 90's. The fact that Friendly is outdoor is what sets it apart from all the other malls in the Triad while also making it one of the most popular. When my friends and I sometimes go to REI before going backpacking or canoeing we're always impressed with the crowds that would much rather shop outdoors than in.

The date on that third photo is a little off. Thalhimers, from my best research, opened in 1967, so the Macy's site still being an empty field in 1969 seems a little unlikely, though I've been wrong before.

It wouldn't make sense to enclose the place. The parking lots in the middle would have to be bridged to make a corridor, or most of the existing mall would have to be torn down. It'd be more expensive than building a new mall, and loads more disruptive.

The lifestyle centers are just a trend just as enclosed malls were back in the late 60's to mid 90's. The fact that Friendly is outdoor is what sets it apart from all the other malls in the Triad while also making it one of the most popular. When my friends and I sometimes go to REI before going backpacking or canoeing we're always impressed with the crowds that would much rather shop outdoors than in.
I found a quote on another message board that shows that there is at least some 'lifestyle' backlash. This is about St. Louis, but it could just as easily be Greensboro or anywhere:

Is it just me though, or is anyone else really annoyed by the trend toward open-air shopping centers and lifestyle centers? I'd love to have something like Kansas City's Country Club Plaza locally, but we all know that even the best lifestyle center cannot compare to the Plaza.

Lifestyle centers are essentially glorified strip malls. Mix some fountains, benches, plant a few more trees in the massive SUV-clogged parking lot fronting the stores, and add a few of the overpriced and overrated stores you'll find in the average mall, and voila! You have a lifestyle center! Rolling Eyes

Malls may have contributed to the decline of downtowns in cities large and small as shopping destinations, and it was a terrible idea to try the suburban format in our downtown (St. Louis Centre), but as a child I learned to appreciate the mall atmosphere at least on some level. I've been to lifestyle centers good and bad, yet I fail to see even the slightest attraction to these places. I guess some people are fascinated with the recreated Main Streets they abandoned years ago...and they're too damn lazy to walk from one store to the next. Of course, I'd much rather do as much of my shopping in downtown and the city's unique neighborhoods as possible, but I'll take a decent mall over a lifestyle center any day. source

Edited by StevenRocks

I found a quote on another message board that shows that there is at least some 'lifestyle' backlash. This is about St. Louis, but it could just as easily be Greensboro or anywhere:

Is it just me though, or is anyone else really annoyed by the trend toward open-air shopping centers and lifestyle centers? I'd love to have something like Kansas City's Country Club Plaza locally, but we all know that even the best lifestyle center cannot compare to the Plaza.

Lifestyle centers are essentially glorified strip malls. Mix some fountains, benches, plant a few more trees in the massive SUV-clogged parking lot fronting the stores, and add a few of the overpriced and overrated stores you'll find in the average mall, and voila! You have a lifestyle center! Rolling Eyes

Malls may have contributed to the decline of downtowns in cities large and small as shopping destinations, and it was a terrible idea to try the suburban format in our downtown (St. Louis Centre), but as a child I learned to appreciate the mall atmosphere at least on some level. I've been to lifestyle centers good and bad, yet I fail to see even the slightest attraction to these places. I guess some people are fascinated with the recreated Main Streets they abandoned years ago...and they're too damn lazy to walk from one store to the next. Of course, I'd much rather do as much of my shopping in downtown and the city's unique neighborhoods as possible, but I'll take a decent mall over a lifestyle center any day. source

I am normally not a fan of outdoor malls because they are typically little more than strip centers as mentioned, though I feel differently about Friendly Center, not entirely sure why, it has a more organically grown, aged town square kind of feel to it, and not falsely so. The new "Shoppes" on the other hand, they do have a somewhat Hollywood set kind of feel though the design is more condusive to walkability if it weren't for the extreme traffic created by PF Changs and Flemings, definate mixed review there. Basically though, I would not lump in the original Friendly Center with lifestyle centers, outdoor strip malls or faux town centers, I think it is a great working example of what a "mall" should be.

It looks like they are already starting Phase II at the Shops at Freindly. I noticed some new construction of what appears to be future stores on the far west side of the property.

I don't see where they'd have room for a future department store a la Nordstrom... but the chatter is Phase II will have a Cheesecake Factory.

I don't see where they'd have room for a future department store a la Nordstrom... but the chatter is Phase II will have a Cheesecake Factory.

Cheesecake Factory wouldnt surprise me one bit considering the kind of restaurants and stores the Shops already have. If you are hearing chatter that Cheesecake Factory could be coming here. You are probabally right. We've heard chatter about the other stores and restaurants that came to the shops at Friendly Center as well.

I was amazed when I went in that Harris Teeter. They have a number of food bars and they even serve sushi in there. They have an olive bar that has like 7 different kind of olives. They have a large variety of cheeses. It was just amazing all the choices that store has.

Edited by cityboi

Cheesecake would do well at Friendly. Don't expect to see Nordstrom come to the Triad soon. :(

I see Nordstroms "within" the next 10 years. If its in Greensboro, They'd likely build it somewhere in Friendly Center. If Sears closes down that would be a prime site for a Nordtroms.

Edited by cityboi

Yes, ten years is a good timeframe. Like I've said before, if they do come to the Triad (which they will eventually) they will probably go in a Southpoint like mall that I hear is in the works for the HOT. That way they can feed off of all three major cities. My only doubt is that they would be hesitant about opening a store here because of the proximity of their Durham and Charlotte stores as they are very profitable and I know many Triad residents that make trips to go to them.

Yes, ten years is a good timeframe. Like I've said before, if they do come to the Triad (which they will eventually) they will probably go in a Southpoint like mall that I hear is in the works for the HOT. That way they can feed off of all three major cities. My only doubt is that they would be hesitant about opening a store here because of the proximity of their Durham and Charlotte stores as they are very profitable and I know many Triad residents that make trips to go to them.

There will defiantly be a major shopping destination in the Heart of the Triad and is probabally a great location for a Nordstroms and in the further future Saqs 5th Avenue. The Triad will arrive at some point to get those stores. Its just a matter of when.

I haven't heard the Cheesecake chatter, but it'll probably happen. As I've said before, Sears isn't going anywhere unless the whole Sears chain folds.

true but at the same time it appears as though not many people shop at sears. their parking lot looks so empty everytime I go there. Maybe they should move to the shopping village thats planned in Southeast Greensboro across the street from the new lowes/walmart. Besides, the sears building looks so outdated

Edited by cityboi