Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

I agree with what is being said with regard to it being walkable and the overall urban feel of Friendly Center. I believe most of this topic started from a question about people being able to walk to decent paying jobs from Somerset and the answer to that is still yes it is possible and not entirely inconvenient. We will never see the changes mentioned by JerseyBoy and others unless we use what we already have. If we continue to drive instead of walking to (for those that live close enough) and around Friendly or other centers there is no incentive for the city or for property developers to make changes because people have a mentality that driving is the only way. Gotta use what we've been given in order to make it better.

As far as Friendly Centers design (for the new section) the right thing would have been to build it on a parking deck, much like Atlantic Station in Atlanta. That place was designed perfectly although it is on a much larger scale than Friendly. Limited asphalt and yet still with convenient parking because everything was build on top of the parking deck. Expensive but it makes for a great lifestyle center which is entirely walkable. North Hills is also a decent example of this and is a little more spread out like Friendly. The city requires so much parking yet doesn't give incentives to allow for enough parking and a walkable property so developers choose the cheap road everytime.

Here's a few links on Atlantic Station, this should be our city's thinking for future developments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/realesta...amp;oref=slogin

http://www.atlanticstation.com/home.php

coastalmindset, I agree. A parking deck would have been best. There is just too much surface parking lot despite how nice the Shops at Friendly Is. If a large parking deck were built (design to look like a building btw) That would actually allow more room for pedestrian oriented retail. (like a true village). I would love to see a retail village laid out in the form of a grid almost like an actual downtown.

Edited by cityboi

Actually, the parking area in the Shops is aboput right, I think. It provides decent access to shops without overwhelming the structures.

A parking deck really doesn't fit into the way Friendly operates. Forum VI had one by necessity, but it wasn't a popular feature. As people get older (and wealthier) they're more fearful of what lurks in the shadows of parking decks. SouthPark in Charlotte got around this problem by offering valet parking, but it may not be cost-effective to offer this service at Friendly.

Beyond the safety and shopper comfort issues, it's incredibly hard to disguise a parking deck as something else. They're efficient, but they're bulky, which works against the massing of Friendly Center, which is more, well, Friendly.

Actually, the parking area in the Shops is aboput right, I think. It provides decent access to shops without overwhelming the structures.

A parking deck really doesn't fit into the way Friendly operates. Forum VI had one by necessity, but it wasn't a popular feature. As people get older (and wealthier) they're more fearful of what lurks in the shadows of parking decks. SouthPark in Charlotte got around this problem by offering valet parking, but it may not be cost-effective to offer this service at Friendly.

Beyond the safety and shopper comfort issues, it's incredibly hard to disguise a parking deck as something else. They're efficient, but they're bulky, which works against the massing of Friendly Center, which is more, well, Friendly.

you do have a point. But I think the parking layout could have been better designed

Edited by cityboi

I understand the concept that certain older people may not feel safe in a parking deck but it works in cities all over the country. I showed an example of this in my last post (take a look at the first link in my prior post and you can see the 3 level deck under the buildings in the picture). While it is certainly expensive to do a proper parking deck in this manner it is worth while if you want an easily walkable property.

In the Atlantic Station example the parking deck is built underground with the buildings and structures on top of the parking deck. This way you don't have to disguise an above ground deck as anything else because it is below ground. Pedestrian exits are on just about every corner so it is very convenient to get from deck to shops, It's kind of like going into a subway except it's a parking deck, it's the same kind of feel. As far as safety is concerned proper lighting and security cameras will prevent many of the problems people may think of although as with anything in life we are never 100% safe from crime. Yes crime even happens at Friendly Center. If it can work on such a large scale in a town like Atlanta I think we could make it fairly safe here in Greensboro. They also have limited street level parking so those who may be scared of a big wide open parking deck can park on the street. It works, just take a look a North Hills in Raleigh, similar concept and people don't seem too scared to use that place. I see people of all ages using parking decks in downtown and I don't see any problems there. I think if we want big city amenities we need to have a big city mentality.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news! I was wondering when Apple would set up shop here.

It would be my guess that this is where they're locating:

1961015044_91547c0009_b.jpg

If so, it's not the usual exterior of an Apple store but they must be trying to blend in with the rest of the Friendly development. Where did this information regarding Apple in Greensboro come from?

Great news! I was wondering when Apple would set up shop here.

It would be my guess that this is where they're locating:

1961015044_91547c0009_b.jpg

If so, it's not the usual exterior of an Apple store but they must be trying to blend in with the rest of the Friendly development. Where did this information regarding Apple in Greensboro come from?

now we know what that building is.

now we know what that building is.

I think most of that building will be DSW Shoes. Apple could go in the small shop space next door to DSW or in the building next to Francesca's. Actually there about 8 vacant spaces on the back side of the new buildings betweeen REI and Jason's Deli. Apple will be a huge addition to this center.