Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte is the only other city in the state that has Anthropologie. Friendly is really turning into a major upscale retail destination.

I'd say mid-to-upscale perhaps, but I think the first thing Greensboro would need to turn into a "major" upscale destination would be a Nordstrom.

But you know what, that still wouldn't make it upscale per se. Look at Triangle Town Center in Raleigh, they have a Saks but I would not label that mall as "upscale."

Edited by DigitalSky

Anthropologie is cheeky and lame. Its definitely not upscale. Basically cityboi, it comes with the Urban Outfitters, which is owned by Anthropologie. Here is a list of upscale stores at Friendly Center, William Sonoma, and thats arguable. You have some midtier stores, like Talbots, J Crew, Ann Taylor/ AT Loft, Chicos, Brooks Brothers and soon Apple Store. Upscale is Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Burberry, Gucci, Prada, French Connection, Tiffani & Co., Cartier, maybe even Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, St Johns, Kate Spade, Michael Kohrs, Kenneth Cole, etc. I don't think Greensboro is at the point yet of having a upscale destination, but don't worry it will come someday, after the recession ends.

Greensboro won't pull upscale retailers anytime soon. All US cities who have these upscale retailers (boutiques, if you will) also boast huge metro populations >2.5 million, major US media/economic significance (pro sports teams, Fortune 500 companies, etc), thus $$$$$$$.

Bottom line: not enough millionares live in this metro area to regularly spend $200 on jeans, $1000 on leather coats, etc.

If anything, Greensboro or W-S will get a Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, bloomingdales, Saks, or Neiman... more likely one of the the former 2 than the latter 3 once the economic crisis resolves.

I like the S at F for the shopping options they have. Hell, you can find Lacoste at Macys!

Greensboro won't pull upscale retailers anytime soon. All US cities who have these upscale retailers (boutiques, if you will) also boast huge metro populations >2.5 million, major US media/economic significance (pro sports teams, Fortune 500 companies, etc), thus $$$$$$$.

Bottom line: not enough millionares live in this metro area to regularly spend $200 on jeans, $1000 on leather coats, etc.

If anything, Greensboro or W-S will get a Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, bloomingdales, Saks, or Neiman... more likely one of the the former 2 than the latter 3 once the economic crisis resolves.

I like the S at F for the shopping options they have. Hell, you can find Lacoste at Macys!

Lord And Taylor won't re-expand to the south again. Bloomingdale's -- Charlotte will see this before Greensboro ever does, and Raleigh will see a Neiman Marcus before Greensboro ever does, so the most plausible scenario for an upscale dept store one day will be a Nordstrom IMO.

Thanks for the map!

Does anyone know what is going in where Acorn used to be at the Shops portion of the complex? I believe it was unit 31 or 32. The last time I drove by, the store windows were covered up, but unlike other units that are available for lease, this one wasn't being advertised as available.

I would imagine it's one of the more desirable locales in the Shops, since it has visibility from Friendly Ave.

Edited by beyonce245

My guess is that it wont be long before Sears goes out of business. Everytime I drive by there, I hardly ever see any cars there. If they do go out of business, I hope they bulldoze it because its an ugly bland building anyway. But that would open up ALOT land for a possible extension of the shops at Friendly instead of having a big ugly building with an empty sea of parking. The site is big enough for a collection of village style retail. Maybe the site could one day have a Cheesecake Factory or in the more distant future a Saks 5th Ave. I do know that Sears takes up ALOT of land at Friendly Center with most of it being parking and just think how many retail stores could be built if Sears were no longer there. Another idea with using that land is to turn it into more of an entertainment and restauraunt development. With exception to the Grande theater, there is not alot of entertainment at Friendly Center. The Sears site could have a series of restaurants and entertainment venues. Maybe build a dinner theater and a comedy club. Throw in a community rec center with a pool since Friendly Center will soon have a 5-story 100 unit condo complex. When you add the entertainment and recreational element, which is lacking at Friendly Center, it truly becomes a "lifestyle center" as oppose to just being a shopping center. Demolishing the Sears building really would give the owners of Friendly Center a chance to redesign a section of the old part of Friendly Center.

Im looking forward to the 100 unit condo project at Friendly (Somerset). It just goes to show just how wealthy this part of town is to be able to construct a 100-unit complex with prices starting at $412,000. Thats usually the max in most condo projects in the city and to have 100 unit complex ranging from $400,000 and higher is a pretty big feat for Greensboro.

Edited by cityboi

My guess is that it wont be long before Sears goes out of business. Everytime I drive by there, I hardly ever see any cars there. If they do go out of business, I hope they bulldoze it because its an ugly bland building anyway. But that would open up ALOT land for a possible extension of the shops at Friendly instead of having a big ugly building with an empty sea of parking. The site is big enough for a collection of village style retail. Maybe the site could one day have a Cheesecake Factory or in the more distant future a Saks 5th Ave. I do know that Sears takes up ALOT of land at Friendly Center with most of it being parking and just think how many retail stores could be built if Sears were no longer there. Another idea with using that land is to turn it into more of an entertainment and restauraunt development. With exception to the Grande theater, there is not alot of entertainment at Friendly Center. The Sears site could have a series of restaurants and entertainment venues. Maybe build a dinner theater and a comedy club. Throw in a community rec center with a pool since Friendly Center will soon have a 5-story 100 unit condo complex. When you add the entertainment and recreational element, which is lacking at Friendly Center, it truly becomes a "lifestyle center" as oppose to just being a shopping center. Demolishing the Sears building really would give the owners of Friendly Center a chance to redesign a section of the old part of Friendly Center.

Im looking forward to the 100 unit condo project at Friendly (Somerset). It just goes to show just how wealthy this part of town is to be able to construct a 100-unit complex with prices starting at $412,000. Thats usually the max in most condo projects in the city and to have 100 unit complex ranging from $400,000 and higher is a pretty big feat for Greensboro.

Again, while you do make some plausible points, I don't see Sears leaving Friendly Center anytime soon. To be honest, I was hoping that where the Harris Teeter used to be that a Nordstrom would move in there, because that would be the most likely upscale department store to come to the Triad, and Friendly Center would be the most likely place for a Nordstrom. Or Perhaps Sears could've moved to that site and then that whole strip where the Sears could've transformed into the .. upscale future site whatever. But realistically speaking, it's just not that easy, and yes---there is a lot of empty parking and a hell of a lot of space that's utilized in a weirdly-shaped manner so I would like to see something done with the space too. :)

post-872-1233891793_thumb.jpg

That Sears has been there for so long that I would not be surprised if the land on which it sits is actually owned by Sears Holdings and not CBL. I could be wrong.

I third and fourth and fifth your call for some sort of reuse of that piece of property. I have actually written CBL and told them what an eye sore the building. A simple coat of paint could do wonders.

If Sears did close (which I don't think will happen anytime soon), I think the building could be saved and reconditioned inside and out for another anchor tenant. I don't know if that would be more or less expensive than doing a complete tear down and rebuild. I think just getting rid of the automotive portion of Sears and adding some development there would be a real improvement.

I'm sure CBL recognizes the value and potential of that land. The question is when and if they will make a move.

One way to tell if Sears owns the property is the parking lot configuration. Freestanding Sears store parking lots tended to have oppressively small parking spaces like the Friendly Center store has. I think Sears owns the land under the store or leased the land and developed it themselves.

Im just surprised that Sears location is still in business. There are hardly any cars there and I've been in there at peak shopping hours and the store is almost empty inside. Everything in there appears to be marked down. Thats not a good sign. With the downturn of the ecomony some major retail companies are surprisingly going under so its not impossible to think this location will close. Sears and its parking lot takes up far more land than any other tenant. CBL may or may not own the parking lot but im sure CBL is thinking of the same things we are talking about. There is alot of money to be made with that much real estate and some may be hoping Sears goes out of business there.

There is no question that Greensboro will eventually get a Nordstroms and a Saks Fifth Ave. We know these stores will be built at Friendly when they do come because of nearby upscale stores like Brooks Brothers. (BTW Brooks Brothers was the first upscale retail chain store to come to the Triad). Typically when upscale stores come to a region, they open up shop nearby other upscale establishments as we are seeing with Friendly. The question is when does it happen? I think Friendly center is the exception. Its becoming a major regional destination thats doing very well and ironically its located a good ways from the interstate highways even though its served by Wendover Ave. It really tells alot about the demographics in the neighborhoods surrounding Friendly Center. I consider Friendly center an urban shopping center because its only about a mile and a half west of downtown and its really more in the core of the city. There are just two urban historic neighborhoods (Westerwood & Sunset Hills) that seperate downtown from Friendly Center. In fact no other city in NC that im aware of has a major retail mall that close to downtown.

FRIENDLYMAP.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Im just surprised that Sears location is still in business. There are hardly any cars there and I've been in there at peak shopping hours and the store is almost empty inside. Everything in there appears to be marked down. Thats not a good sign. With the downturn of the ecomony some major retail companies are surprisingly going under so its not impossible to think this location will close. Sears and its parking lot takes up far more land than any other tenant. CBL may or may not own the parking lot but im sure CBL is thinking of the same things we are talking about. There is alot of money to be made with that much real estate and some may be hoping Sears goes out of business there.

There is no question that Greensboro will eventually get a Nordstroms and a Saks Fifth Ave. We know these stores will be built at Friendly when they do come because of nearby upscale stores like Brooks Brothers. (BTW Brooks Brothers was the first upscale retail chain store to come to the Triad). Typically when upscale stores come to a region, they open up shop nearby other upscale establishments as we are seeing with Friendly. The question is when does it happen? I think Friendly center is the exception. Its becoming a major regional destination thats doing very well and ironically its located a good ways from the interstate highways even though its served by Wendover Ave. It really tells alot about the demographics in the neighborhoods surrounding Friendly Center. I consider Friendly center an urban shopping center because its only about two miles west of downtown and its really more in the core of the city. There are just two urban historic neighborhoods (Westerwood & Sunset Hills) that seperate downtown from Friendly Center.

There is no question that if Sears left, that property would be put to good use. But I don't know if CBL would be willing to wait for a Nordstroms or other higher-end department store to fill the space. If the cost wouldn't be prohibitive, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sears building bulldozed, along with the automotive portion.

The land is being poorly used and despite the fact that only Sears is occupying that land, I think redevelopment could allow for a lot more tenants, possibly even two department stores.

There is no question that Greensboro will eventually get a Nordstroms and a Saks Fifth Ave. We know these stores will be built at Friendly when they do come because of nearby upscale stores like Brooks Brothers. (BTW Brooks Brothers was the first upscale retail chain store to come to the Triad). Typically when upscale stores come to a region, they open up shop nearby other upscale establishments as we are seeing with Friendly. The question is when does it happen? I think Friendly center is the exception.

Maybe Neiman Marcus and Cartier will be first, or maybe even Harrods, since Friendly is such an "upscale" establishment. ;)

Edited by RALNATIVE

One way to tell if Sears owns the property is the parking lot configuration. Freestanding Sears store parking lots tended to have oppressively small parking spaces like the Friendly Center store has. I think Sears owns the land under the store or leased the land and developed it themselves.

It looks as if Sears sold their parcel and building to CBL & Associates at the beginning of 2008...

There is no question that Greensboro will eventually get a Nordstroms and a Saks Fifth Ave. We know these stores will be built at Friendly when they do come because of nearby upscale stores like Brooks Brothers. (BTW Brooks Brothers was the first upscale retail chain store to come to the Triad). Typically when upscale stores come to a region, they open up shop nearby other upscale establishments as we are seeing with Friendly. The question is when does it happen? I think Friendly center is the exception. Its becoming a major regional destination thats doing very well and ironically its located a good ways from the interstate highways even though its served by Wendover Ave. It really tells alot about the demographics in the neighborhoods surrounding Friendly Center. I consider Friendly center an urban shopping center because its only about a mile and a half west of downtown and its really more in the core of the city. There are just two urban historic neighborhoods (Westerwood & Sunset Hills) that seperate downtown from Friendly Center. In fact no other city in NC that im aware of has a major retail mall that close to downtown.

FRIENDLYMAP.jpg

Charlotte's Midtown Square (arguable though), but you're right and that is a good point about a traditional-anchored mall having such proximity to a city's downtown.

BTW when you say eventually, what time frame are you looking at? Charlotte doesn't even have a Saks yet.

(ps 'alot' isn't a word :whistling:)

There is no question that if Sears left, that property would be put to good use. But I don't know if CBL would be willing to wait for a Nordstroms or other higher-end department store to fill the space. If the cost wouldn't be prohibitive, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sears building bulldozed, along with the automotive portion.

The land is being poorly used and despite the fact that only Sears is occupying that land, I think redevelopment could allow for a lot more tenants, possibly even two department stores.

The question is where would Sears move to? I can't imagine a city the size of Greensboro without a Sears store...

It looks as if Sears sold their parcel and building to CBL & Associates at the beginning of 2008...

The question is where would Sears move to? I can't imagine a city the size of Greensboro without a Sears store...

CBL made a good real estate move in buying the Sears property. That leaves only one small block of buildings in Friendly Center that they don't control (the old Carolina Camera Center building at 2715 Grandview Ave and the Post Office).

As for what this means for Sears...it's anybody's guess. Aesthetic considerations aside, it's an important store and I can't see them moving or closing unless the national Sears operations shuts down. Still, CBL wouldn't sink money into the land if they didn't have something in mind for it.