Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

Y'know, Coplon's closing i think is a good indication that an upscale dept. store won't be eyeing Greensboro anytime soon.

There is definitely a market for upscale clothing in Greensboro. But Coplon's only sold women's clothes and I heard time and time again that the sales staff was rude and snobbish. Also, I don't think many people even knew what store Coplon's was. I just happened to have a lot of friends from the irving park crowd (of which I am not, thank goodness) whose parents shopped there.

I think Greensboro could support a Nordstroms, but there is nowhere for it to go (at friendly, which would be the most logical place to put it; i.e. location and highest revenue per sq foot in the Triad).

I am perfectly happy the way Friendly Center is growing. And as more stores like Apple and Anthropologie set up shop there, higher-end department stores may begin to take notice.

Also, it appears that Carlyle & Co. has left Friendly Center for a newly renovated McMansion on Battleground (where Coplon's used to be).
If Carlyle & Co. at Friendly closed for this store (figured it would), then Carlyle & Co. at Four Seasons probably did too.

Y'know, Coplon's closing i think is a good indication that an upscale dept. store won't be eyeing Greensboro anytime soon.
I agree. Coplon's sold a lot of the same brands a Nordstrom (or whatever) would sell in the Triad market. This does not bode well, but there's more to shopping than updated designer sportswear.

And as more stores like Apple and Anthropologie set up shop there, higher-end department stores may begin to take notice.

agreed. Friendly Center is beginning to build a reputation of being an upscale shopping destination. Usually it takes smaller upscale stores like Brooks Brothers, Apple, ect before a major upscale department store comes. Its all about demographics and clearly that part of Greensboro has the demographics to support such retail. And the thing is these stores are nowhere near the interstate highways for easy access and they are successful.

Edited by cityboi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

beyonce245, those are advertising signs. The one I saw that was fully operational had no center maps, but should have.

There are a lot more of these now, with full center maps.

Also, Friendly Center has apparently been invaded by a clan of children's stores. Justice and Osh Kosh have both opened stores at friendly. Osh Kosh is somewhat intriguing because the only stores I've ever seen have been at outlet malls.

Whatever, at least they put it beside Carter's so I can just avoid the little section all together.

Custom Jewelry whatever has apparently closed. I thought that store was strange anyway.

Portrait innovations is opening soon. Whoopdy...fill in the blank

I'm not sure then why wouldn't they just say Anthropologie instead of Urban Outfitters. You might be right but I think they are still coming, in addition to Anthroplogie as the two would complement each other. And yes, there is still space at Friendly Center

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that Trader Joes is actively looking in Greensboro and wants to be in the Friendly submarket as well...but Harris -Teeter got Starmount to sign a lease with a no-compete clause when they moved to their new "largest in the world" facility a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure then why wouldn't they just say Anthropologie instead of Urban Outfitters. You might be right but I think they are still coming, in addition to Anthroplogie as the two would complement each other. And yes, there is still space at Friendly Center

Urban Outfitters is actually searching for management postions for Friendly. On all the job sites I've seen say the store will open around Winter 2009.

Urban Outfitters is actually searching for management postions for Friendly. On all the job sites I've seen say the store will open around Winter 2009.

As I have said but will do so again, the postings you're reading online are for the Anthropologie store that indeed opened in Winter 2009, also known as this past January. If you read more than just the blurb that pops up on google, you'll notice that it says prospective employees need "an understanding of the Anthropologie aesthetic."

Here's a link to the parent company's website.

Thanks for the photos Jersey!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In & Out is addictive. Too bad that they aren't planning to expand East.

NC has no idea what it's missing.

Perhaps I went in with too great of expectations, but I thought In & Out was just okay. Granted, I didn't get mine animal style or anything (maybe a double-double next time, 'cause the single left me cold). Five Guys, however was everything I'd heard. Anyone know what part of Friendly they're going in?