Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

I've never heard of Brooks Brothers. But it sounds nice.

you've honestly never heard of BB's? It has been a famous clothing store (orginially from across the pond) for many many years. Some argue that the quality hasn't been good since the American's bought it, but I still think that you can't beat a thick oxford button down. Looks good at the office, and even better with the sleeves rolled up out on the town. I highly recommend checking the store out when it gets to the triad.

you've honestly never heard of BB's? It has been a famous clothing store (orginially from across the pond) for many many years. Some argue that the quality hasn't been good since the American's bought it, but I still think that you can't beat a thick oxford button down. Looks good at the office, and even better with the sleeves rolled up out on the town. I highly recommend checking the store out when it gets to the triad.

I think Brooks Brothers was founded in the 1800s. Any way, its a very prestigous store. Many famous people inlcuding preisdents, corporate haunchos and hollywood actors and actress shop there. They showed clips of the Shops at Friendly on FOX 8 last night and its amazing how upscale and ritzy everything looks. They showed the interior of the new Harris Teeter and its nice so far. It will be the nicest Harris Teeter in the city for sure. Brooks Brother will definatly become a sound anchor for the shops at Friendly and will draw people from around the region.

Edited by cityboi

The Shops at Friendly Center in Greensboro is an upscale shopping village that will include a number of high end retails such as SOHO Shoes, Johnston & Murphy & Brooks Brothers. But the development will also include the world's largest Harris Teeter Supermarket at 72,000 sqaure feet. The Shops at Friendly is adjacent to the Freindly Shopping Center open air mall. There is a photo on the linked website below. You can get a glimps of how upscale this development is. These outdoor retail centers are becoming very popular and could one day doom the enclosed mall. The Shops at freindly has already snagged some retailers from Four Seasons. Ann Taylor will be moving from Four Season to the Shops at Friendly. The Shops will include a Ben & Jerry's Ice cream parlor which is the first in Greensboro

"We've had some tenants who we wanted to be here who are still not ready to come to Greensboro," he said. "But they're giving Greensboro a second look." (could this be stores like Nordstrom and Saks 5th Avenue?)

I think this development could make Friendly Center the premier shopping destination of the Triad.

The new Harris Teeter will be the grocer's largest store, featuring:

A hot bar with breakfast, lunch and dinner

An Asian bar, pasta bar, fresh pizza, sushi and a pastry chef

Larger selections, including more seafood and meat

More than 350 specialty cheeses

The GRAND OPENING

Opening events at The Shops at Friendly Center will last four days, starting with a 9:45 a.m. ribbon-cutting Oct. 19. For more details, visit www. theshopsatfriendlycenter.com.

Shoppers can expect:

Three stages of family entertainment from the Community Theatre of Greensboro.

Purchases, including $5 picnic blankets and $2 shopping bags, to benefit Junior Achievement.

Drawings for prizes include picnic backpacks and shopping sprees -- from $200 up to $1,000.

Three concerts: Lisa Dames and the Dallas Reese Band on Thursday, the Vision Band on Friday, and Swing On on Saturday. Shows start at 6 p.m.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/609230306

Edited by cityboi

I'm really disappointed that Ann Taylor and J. Crew are closing at Four Seasons. Johnston & Murphy used to be there, too. But I understand why they're moving. You gotta follow the money.

This is why I think there may not being any enclosed mall under construction in the Triad anytime soon. These outdoor villages that resembles downtown shopping districts are becoming more and more popular. On the southeast side of Greensboro across from Lowes there is an outdoor village mall planned. People like being outdoors I guess. but it isnt convient when its rainy day. One thing is for sure, Greensboro has plenty of shopping and eating options.

Edited by cityboi

is harris teeter international?

Think of it as the "World Series" of grocers...Does one team in Toronto constitute the world? Major League baseball seems to define the "world" that way. Since size seems to matter in the world of grocer enthusiasts, think of it as a means to heighten their sense of validation and swagger, if you will. I can only imagine the giddiness that would erupt if these environs were to score the world's largest WalMart or perhaps a Super "Duper" Target... :D

This is why I think there may not being any enclosed mall under construction in the Triad anytime soon. These outdoor villages that resembles downtown shopping districts are becoming more and more popular. On the southeast side of Greensboro across from Lowes there is an outdoor village mall planned. People like being outdoors I guess. but it isnt convient when its rainy day. One thing is for sure, Greensboro has plenty of shopping and eating options.
We're definately getting more shopping in the Triad, but I think the open-air format is more developer driven than market-driven. It's pretty much the same stores in either style mall, but since big boxes and a lack of free shopping time have taken their toll on enclosed malls, the developers are pushing open-air to keep on building. Thing is, open air malls are pretty much impractical and they aren't very comfortable for browsing 9 months out of the year.

The ideal solution is a hybrid -- like malls used to be back in the day. Some stores face inward, some outward, with a vide variety of price points.

Found the answer to my question. A 3 story BB&T financial center, thoroughfare, and an additional 20,000 square feet of retail space will go where the current HT is.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/512160309

What are they planning on doing with the current Harris Teeter? I didn't realize the 2 shopping centers weren't connected. It makes sense to tie them together somehow, though.

The Shops will include a Ben & Jerry's Ice cream parlor which is the first in Greensboro

Wow, sounds like a really nice shopping center. Its too bad we lost the neat Burlington Industries building for it. I've always preferred Friendly Center over Four Seasons, but it wasn't actually the first Ben and Jerry's. There was once a Ben and Jerry's on Tate St, back in the day. It closed sometime during the mid-90s.

Wow, sounds like a really nice shopping center. Its too bad we lost the neat Burlington Industries building for it. I've always preferred Friendly Center over Four Seasons, but it wasn't actually the first Ben and Jerry's. There was once a Ben and Jerry's on Tate St, back in the day. It closed sometime during the mid-90s.

cool..I didnt know that.