Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

Friendly is doing a lot of damage to Four Seasons with its expansion. Through some sources, I found out a lot of stores are leaving the mall. Ann Taylor, JCrew, Kirklands, Bombay, Talbots, and The Limited are all closing at Four Season to move to Friendly. Bombay, Limited, and Kirklands already have stores at Friendly, and the others are pulling out when the new stores open. It doesn't bode well for Four Seasons to have that much empty square footage, but they are trying to bring in new tenants. Charlotte Russe is apparently taking The Limited space, Bath & Body Works is taking over Bombay, and other new stores are moving in. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out for both shopping centers.

Friendly is doing a lot of damage to Four Seasons with its expansion. Through some sources, I found out a lot of stores are leaving the mall. Ann Taylor, JCrew, Kirklands, Bombay, Talbots, and The Limited are all closing at Four Season to move to Friendly. Bombay, Limited, and Kirklands already have stores at Friendly, and the others are pulling out when the new stores open. It doesn't bode well for Four Seasons to have that much empty square footage, but they are trying to bring in new tenants. Charlotte Russe is apparently taking The Limited space, Bath & Body Works is taking over Bombay, and other new stores are moving in. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out for both shopping centers.
Kirkland's and Bombay have been gone from Four Seasons for a while. Limited is scaling back to only the Friendly store because it's a brand without a market (squeezed out on both ends of the age and size range). In fact, whenever the Friendly stores closes, I won't be suprised.

Talbots isn't exactly a shocker either. They're not typically mall stores, and J. Crew and Ann Taylor are moving in the same direstion from a real estate standpoint.

Considering that the primary market for Four Seasons is teens and twentysomethings, Charlotte Russe and an expanded Bath & Body Works are great choices. They fit the deomgraphics, just like Miller & Rhoads and Lillie Rubin did back in the day. The mall changes, and as good a location as Four Seasons has, that empty space will get filled.

Edited by StevenRocks

• 2 weeks later...

that's what i'm wondering. where are they gonna put residential? also, the "villaige" type development on the corner of north elm and pisgah church road is gonna have some residential too i think. these projects remind me of some of the newer stuff down in ballantyne.

Edited by ezcheese

The new mall maps show two unbuilt clusters of stores: one is at the rear of the property next to Harris Teeter, the other is on the site of the old HT. Neither proposed building looks large enough to be a department store, but of course, the images were speculative.

I got a chance to go over there tonight. The new shop cluster is very pretty, but somewhat empty-feeling. I think that the shops are leaning too strongly to a stereotypical "middle-aged lady" demographic as well.

The highlight was REI, and the restaurants and Ann Taylor were well done also, but I'm left a bit cold by the total package. There's not a lot to see, and enhancements could have been made on the existing FC property to accomplish the same thing.

Edited by StevenRocks

yeah, i was there this afternoon and went into the rei. it's pretty cool but it does feel kind of empty. i hope the traffic flow will improve once the HT, brooks brothers and other stores are open, but i can't imagine how the traffic will get better when there are more stores open. it felt a little cramped driving through there though. maybe it's just the grand opening traffic.

• 3 weeks later...