Kosice

Wicky

Kosice is the second largest city in Slovakia with the population of cca. 240.000 inhabittants. It stretches near the Hornad river in eastern Slovakia. The city center is well hisorically preserved nad undergone a renovation in the late 90ies. In the near of historical centre is a business, or administrative center, with buildings from the 80ies, but mostly from 90ies. Even if the buildings in modern part are not so tall /the tallest has 18 stories/ they represent quite a compact area, however, not so dense.

Here are the pictures from various places in this city. Enjoy :)

P0009866.jpg

P0009910.jpg

9.jpg

P0002052.jpg

P0002053.jpg

hlavna2-30-05.jpg

hlavna04-11.jpg

alzbetina13-37-21-10.jpg

hlavna12-07.jpg

bacikova09-09-12-22.jpg

vratna14-07.jpg

milosrdenstva30-08-01.jpg

univerzitna%2026-5.jpg

hlavna05-06.jpg

kovacska12-09.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

hlavna04-07-12-25.jpg

furca03%2015-04.jpg

03-dom10-12.jpg18-hlavna17-12.jpg

hlavna24-08.jpg

mlynskaulica15-06-09-40.jpg

P0002801.jpg

sturova30-08.jpg

technika%2026-05.jpg

protifasboj10-10.jpg

sturova1-03-03.jpg

mojmirova11-35-15-02.jpg

sturova03-03.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks pretty dense to me.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, but it depends. The historical centre is quite dense, the more modern centre maybe not so. We will see in the future, the advantage of the Kosice is, that it is the centre of eastern Slovakia and the biggest city of the surrounding area, including neighbouring countries, taking into account cca.200 km, or 130 miles distance from it. In our circumstances this radius is quite big ;)

Awww... how cute. I was looking for cinderalla in the pictures. I think she was in one of the pinkish red buildings. Cute.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. Hmm, wrong guess, she is currently living in the last but one picture :D .

Otherwise thanks for the compliment.

That is a somewhat typical European layout for a city, isn't it? It seems that most European cities have a dense, older section of town, complemented with a larger, modern city center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are probably right. The historical part of the city of course depends on the period it was built. Kosice for example did not experience the large centre rebuilding,which was typical for some large European cities, especially at the end of 19th century, therefore the buildings in the centre, although renovated, are a bit older.

And surely, it depends, in what degree is separated, or joined the historical part with the new, or modern part. Some places, like Vienna, have a modern part a bit further from the historical one, Prague not so far. Of course, Kosice is smaller, but IMO there has been incorporated the modern part with older part so it is quite near the center of the city.

And of course, there are quite a few blocks - so called commieblocks from the previous era, which are a part of the city as well as many family houses. But, aware of this, I must also say, that in recent 15 years has been performed a good job in the old as well as in the modern part regarding the reconstruction and a new construction.

I always enjoy seeing pics of the old world. I look forward to seeing more ;)

Was Kosice at all influenced by the communists?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. ;) I will bring more information about Presov, Bratislava and other cities and town pictures and development. And also the information about Czech republic.

And regarding your second question, yes, in some degree. Not that much in the centre, but in some suburbs. However, the reconstruction of these suburbian areas is gradually changing the old commie architecture. Here are some more pictures from the suburbian Kosice:

P0002220.jpg

P0004523.jpg

P0004875.jpg

komenskeho14-30-21-09.jpg

optima10-46-29-05.jpg

narbanka12-23-06-03.jpg

I took the pictures from the link http://www.cassovia.sk/10pohladov/20poh.php, there are many pictures from the different parts of the city, if clicking n corresponding month (in Slovak are the names of the months almost the same as in English), there can be seen the pictures from the whole city. :)

Archived