City Nicknames

Spartan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised those that have listed names for Jacksonville have forgotten the original town name: Cowford.

St. Augustine:

- The Nation's Old City

Jacksonville:

- East area of Jax, just before the beaches: The ICW (intercoastal West)

- Florida

I can tell youv'e listened to a few radio stations while in Columbia. Not very many people outside the area know that it's called that.

By the way my birthplace is know as "Brick City", Newark, New Jersey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sandlapper, I forgot you were a Jersey native. I think i was mentioned a long time ago. Same here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, It says City of Excellence, but I think that's just the city government promoting itself. While we're on SoFla...

Wilton Mannors -- The Gay Ghetto

Pompano Beach (Centering at the intersection of Sample and Federal Hwy and extending through Deerfield Beach and into Boca) -- Little Brazil

Though the last one is my own invention...I was thinking Little BH or Little Minas for Pompano because of the shear overproportion of Brazilians from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil...but then what would Deerfield be...Probably Little Rio or something like that. Pompano could just as easily be Little Cap Haitien or Petit Port-au-Prince...the South Florida govts should consider promoting ethnic stuff like that...similar to how big cities like New York, SF, LA, Chicago have Chinatown, Japantown, Little Italy, Little Poland, etc.

Also, I hear people in Miami and FTL always refer to Overtown (the "bad" part of Miami) as O'town...most often used in sentences such as "Let's go down to O'town to score some rock"...but then I know no one from Orlando.

While I'm here, I might as well add some Arizona Nicknames since I lived there for quite a while, too.

Tucson: The Old Pueblo

Phoenix: The Valley of the Sun

Scottsdale: Snobsdale, Snotsdale

Paradise Valley: P.V.

Nogales (as much AZ as Mex): Noggie

Flagstaff: Flag

Arizona itself: Zona

Has anyone ever heard of Mesa being refered to as Mormonville or Mormontown?

Though the last one is my own invention...I was thinking Little BH or Little Minas for Pompano because of the shear overproportion of Brazilians from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil...but then what would Deerfield be...Probably Little Rio or something like that. Pompano could just as easily be Little Cap Haitien or Petit Port-au-Prince...the South Florida govts should consider promoting ethnic stuff like that...similar to how big cities like New York, SF, LA, Chicago have Chinatown, Japantown, Little Italy, Little Poland, etc.

I'm impressed by the numbers of Brazilians that have moved into northern Broward. I'm curious what attracted them there. There are some really good churrascarias (Brazilian steakhouses) in Pompano Beach that are worth visiting.

Here are some common nicknames that I have heard...

Orlando

O-town

Tallahassee

Tally

Tally-ho

Tallywhacker

Gainesville

Hogtown (this is the most common nickname I've heard for Gainesville)

G-Ville

Pensacola

P-cola (sung like the Ricola commercial)

Jacksonville

JAX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Jacksonville, you haven't heard of it being called J'ville, which is it most popular nickname?

While I'm here, I might as well add some Arizona Nicknames since I lived there for quite a while, too.

Tucson: The Old Pueblo

Phoenix: The Valley of the Sun

Scottsdale: Snobsdale, Snotsdale

Paradise Valley: P.V.

Nogales (as much AZ as Mex): Noggie

Flagstaff: Flag

Arizona itself: Zona

Has anyone ever heard of Mesa being refered to as Mormonville or Mormontown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I have heard people out here refer to Mesa as Mormonville. I have a couple of nicknames that I have made up for the Phoenix metro area:

Phoenix: P-City or Red-Rock rock (because of the all of the red rocks that you see out here)

Scottsdale: Skanksdale (at least from what I have seen)

Chandler: Couples City or Everyone driving around in this city has an SUV with shiny rims

Tempe: Skank City (Too many college girls)

Mesa: Freak City

Gilbert: High homeprice city

These are what I would call the "tuckys"

Glendale: Glendaletucky

Goodyear: Goodtucky

Chandler: Chandtucky

Winston-Salem...tre-4, city of the arts, twin city, gotham city

Greensboro...g-boro, the boro, GSO, gate city

High Point... High Peezie

Kernersville...K-vegas

Burlington...B-town

Charlotte...Crunk City, Queen city, Metrolina