City Nicknames

Spartan

Athens has somewhere around four colleges.

Athens Tech

Gainesville College

Piedmont College

(all pretty tiny)

and UGA(freakin' huge)

A ton of Greek looking things...

And we've got a statue of Athena, albeit much smaller, and with less gold. Ours looks a lot like Athena though. That thing looks more like Shiva. What are the things on its head?

i just think nashville should be the nashville of the south and let athens be the athens of the south. 'Sides, UGA was the first public college in the country(that's what they say anyways), so you guys just ripped us off. Maybe you guys do have more Universities though, but athens has gotten many titles for best college town.

I'm biased though, go figure.

I would post a photo or two of the Greek looking buildings, but I'm too lazy.

here's a link... first baptist church is a neat one... its huge up close. http://www.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/ga/clarke...pcs-clarke.html

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Sides, UGA was the first public college in the country(that's what they say anyways), so you guys just ripped us off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so all cities with public colleges ripped off athens? and actually, most of the colleges in nashville are private.

Athens has somewhere around four colleges.

Athens Tech

Gainesville College

Piedmont College

(all pretty tiny)

and UGA(freakin' huge)

A ton of Greek looking things...

And we've got a statue of Athena, albeit much smaller, and with less gold. Ours looks a lot like Athena though. That thing looks more like Shiva. What are the things on its head?

i just think nashville should be the nashville of the south and let athens be the athens of the south. 'Sides, UGA was the first public college in the country(that's what they say anyways), so you guys just ripped us off. Maybe you guys do have more Universities though, but athens has gotten many titles for best college town.

I'm biased though, go figure.

I would post a photo or two of the Greek looking buildings, but I'm too lazy.

here's a link... first baptist church is a neat one... its huge up close. http://www.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/ga/clarke...pcs-clarke.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nashville has more colleges and Universities than Athens, GA and more Greek revival architecture. We went on to build the world's only full-scale replica of the Parthenon and created the Western World's largest indoor sculpture to go in it...built accoring to reports of the statue of Athena in the original Parthenon. Nashville also has a sizable Greek Population that celebrates Greek Fest each summer. The nickname is 2nd only to Music City and by the way Nashville has capitalized on it, they won't be giving it up anytime soon.

A related question, what's the oddest name in general? This made me think of the town of Maxey's which is the only place I've ever heard of with an apostrophe as part of it's name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh, it's gotta be bucksnort, tn. but you're right, that apostrophe is pretty odd in a city name.

Orlando is called O-town (hence my name), but it is also the City Beautiful

This is not a city, but Magic Kingdom is called "the greatest place on Earth"

Has anyone from Houston heard it called the Big House? my wife is from there and told me that, but i dont believe her :P

Archived