Possible Move to KC

thewack

Hi. I'm new to these forums, and I thought this might be a good way to get some insider information on KC. I am most likely going to be working in downtown KCM over the summer for an internship. The company I would work for would probably put me on the Kansas side. Anyway, I was wondering what all there is to do in KC?

I've been there twice. One time I drove through on I-70, and the other time I went up to Liberty, MO and then took a trip into KC and visited an area with a canal. I think it was called The Plaza. I could be mistaken there.

I read something that KC is awful for singles, which I don't know if I would put much stock into that, but would still like an opinion. I will turn 22 over the summer, so knowing what is fun for people my age would be ideal. Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wack,

Congratulations on your internship. Most of downtown KC does a whiff of urbanity about it, albeit there are too many parking lots. But the remaining structures that haven't been demolished downtown are quite nice and picturesque. There are also some good bars and restaurants to be found downtown as well.

Currently, there is a massive infill project going in a particular swath of downtown, which should serve as a veritable entertainment district when completed. It won't be up and running until sometime in 2006, however.

It was indeed the Country Club Plaza that you visited, which is the most well-known district in Kansas City-- in it's core festooned with pleasant pseudo-Spanish/Moorish architecture, but also serves as a second hub of commerce and density, as many companies locate their offices there as well.

For nightlife and bars, Westport has a reputation for pleasing. There are also many charming pre-war urban apartment buildings in the general vicinity of Westport/Midtown/West Plaza. I would steer you towards settling in this area, as it is within walking distance of the Plaza and Westport, as well as along multiple bus lines. I cannot overstate how upset I am to hear that our companies are still steering people towards the Kansas suburbs. Almost everything on the Kansas side of the KC metro, with the exception of inner KCK, is a suburban craphole comprised of strip mall gulags, parking lagoons, and big box retail-- in short, nothing worth caring about.

Not to mention that an apartment in the Westport/Midtown area would probably come cheaper than some suburban piece of crap next to the Interstate in Johnson County Kansas (the Kansas suburban enclave of KC). Additionally, settling inside KCMO proper would give you a much more pleasant urban experience, certainly moreso than commuting in from the hellhole suburbs everyday.

Tossspot,

Thank you for the information. I am very excited to work in KC this summer. I would much prefer living in an urban environment rather than the suburbs. I grew up in a suburb, and frankly they bore me to tears. The company I'm working for is paying for my housing this summer, so I really can't complain where it is located. I don't know the exact location yet because I just accepted the offer, but I was told it is 10 minutes from downtown, Westport, and the Plaza off I-35 on the Kansas side.

If I enjoy my experience with this company and get an offer, I would live in the city somewhere. First I have to get through the summer and see how that goes. I'm looking forward to going to Royals games since there was no MLB team in Portland, OR where I grew up. I know they are a pretty bad team, but still it should be a good time.

Is there anything to do in KCK? Is there a viable downtown there, or is it more of an extension of KCMO?

Thanks again for the information.

KCK serves mostly as the more homely and less popular sister of Kansas City Missouri. It does have a central business district, but again not completely on par with KCMO. I happen to currently live in the Argentine area of KCK, which is a mix of gritty old commercial buildings in it's heart, surrounded by smallish single family bungalows.

The urbanistas of KC, myself included, were hoping for a new downtown ballpark for the Royals, but the cheap ass Royals owner and the suburban minded nincompoops won this round, as all momentum for a downtown ballpark at present seems halted. Our current stadium would be fine if not for it's abysmal location, right next to Interstate 70, a massive parking lagoon, a hotel, and a Taco Bell. So in effect, you get no urban experience with baseball in KC, unfortunately.

I place the blame for this squarely with the ever-prevalent Kansas City idiocracy that only asks one question: "But where will everyone park?" Idiots. Maybe they can fudgeing park in the 100,000 existing parking spaces downtown! Not to mention the hordes of other cities, that are no less car-dependant that KC, with downtown ballparks-- cities that haven't made special concessions to the nitwits whose chief concern is ease of parking automobiles. *end of rant*

I hear that. Parking is a common concern since our nation is so auto dependent. Isn't Kauffman a fairly old ballpark? Eventually KC will probably get an urban ballpark, but it will take time. Hopefully planners integrate it in well with the urban fabric of the city. The worst thing planners can do is to build a stand alone ballpark that just sits there dead unless there is a ballgame going on.

I second your rant T-spot.

Wack - Welcome to Kansas City. It may not be the most exciting place in the world, but there is usually more to do than one has time (or money) to follow up on.

Do try to take in a Royals game or two. The product on the field needs a lot of work, and while the stadium isn't state-of-the-art, it is still a great place to take in a game. Because tickets aren't generally in extreme demand, you may be able to buy game-day tickets fairly easily.

Also, if you find yourself moving to KC on a more permanent basis, do try to live downtown at least for a time. When I first moved here from Georgia, I took an apartment at 11th & Broadway in what's known as the Quality Hill area. I've never regretted it. It was a two-block walk to work, there were bars/restaurants I could get to without having to cross one street, and it was convienent to getting anywhere in the city - Northland, Plaza, Westport, Overland Park, etc. Not knowing KC it gave me easy access to the city so I could discover more than my own suburb. Something to think about.

I'd be interested in your impressions of the city once you're here. Maybe you'll start a thread and let us know...

Thanks for the welcome popstar. I like that idea of starting a thread on my impressions of the city. The only time I've ever seen KC was at night and then once when zipped through on I-70 when I drove cross country for school. I've seen some great photos of the area, and can't wait to do some exploring. I'll be moving in early May, and I'll do what I can to post here frequently. KC seems like an up and coming area at least downtown.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I'm new to these forums, and I thought this might be a good way to get some insider information on KC. I am most likely going to be working in downtown KCM over the summer for an internship. The company I would work for would probably put me on the Kansas side. Anyway, I was wondering what all there is to do in KC?

I've been there twice. One time I drove through on I-70, and the other time I went up to Liberty, MO and then took a trip into KC and visited an area with a canal. I think it was called The Plaza. I could be mistaken there.

I read something that KC is awful for singles, which I don't know if I would put much stock into that, but would still like an opinion. I will turn 22 over the summer, so knowing what is fun for people my age would be ideal. Thanks.

I don't think it's bad for singles. With 1.9 million people in the metro surely you could find somebody to date LOL. I think people make that claim about any city.

As for a good place to live in KC, it depends on what your looking for. Urban or Suburban. Over-priced or affordable with room for appreciation in value. If you looking for a suburban setting I strongly recomend Western Kansas City, KS. Namely the Piper area. There is many housing options of all price ranges avaialbe in this area. And since it is a newly developing area the prices havn't gotten out of control yet. You get a lager and nicer house for you money than in most of the other suburban areas of KC and this area is appreciating in value rapidly allowing you to realize equity in you home. Plus there is very little traffic to fight and you can hop on I-70 and be downtown in literally 10 minutes.

I don't think it's bad for singles. With 1.9 million people in the metro surely you could find somebody to date LOL. I think people make that claim about any city.

As for a good place to live in KC, it depends on what your looking for. Urban or Suburban. Over-priced or affordable with room for appreciation in value. If you looking for a suburban setting I strongly recomend Western Kansas City, KS. Namely the Piper area. There is many housing options of all price ranges avaialbe in this area. And since it is a newly developing area the prices havn't gotten out of control yet. You get a lager and nicer house for you money than in most of the other suburban areas of KC and this area is appreciating in value rapidly allowing you to realize equity in you home. Plus there is very little traffic to fight and you can hop on I-70 and be downtown in literally 10 minutes.

if you dont have kids, or have some money put away from private schooling, it's hard to beat the volker neighborhood, with dozens of restaurants an easy stroll away, or the ever improving hyde park neighborhood with westport in your backyard, or, of course the big daddy, downtown. if you have all of your ducks in a row, you can park your car most of the time if you work downtown or elsewhere in the city, and use the max, and ask "what freeway traffic?" :shades:

Archived