Uptown condo parking cost

uptowner

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

230 S Tryon is expensive but you have to factor in 1 space per bedroom. TradeMark gives 2 spaces only for units over 450K. Avenue will probably be 1 per bedroom and I believe the park is the same. I would pay 10 but 20 is pretty rich.... i think the trademark building will have extra spaces in the lot though for guests - the lot will not sell parking for the day.

Courtside?

230 S Tryon is expensive but you have to factor in 1 space per bedroom.  TradeMark gives 2 spaces only for units over 450K.  Avenue will probably be 1 per bedroom and I believe the park is the same.  I would pay 10 but 20 is pretty rich....  i think the trademark building will have extra spaces in the lot though for guests - the lot will not sell parking for the day. 

Courtside?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Courtside is one space per bedroom, and extras were available for $10,000. But, I think there was only a very small supply of extras available.

Isn't the purpose of living downtown to get rid of a car?  (Well at least one of them if you have two.)

I don't think this is really doable for most people in most cities. Very few cities allow for this. I lived in Chicago without a car and got along just fine, however I couldn't do the same in Charlotte, the biggest reason is that I work in the suburbs, haha! If I did work downtown it's possible to get rid of the car I suppose, but then you have to take the bus if you want to go anywhere, and there are some places the bus just doesn't go.

I am experimenting with getting rid of my car...I have riden CATS a number of times in the past few weeks and have found it to be much more effective than I thought it would be. That being said there are still times one needs a car to do things such as a trip to buy bulky objects at Lowe's or Best Buy...for those I can walk 2 blocks down the street and rent a car from Enterprise for the day or weekend.

I am experimenting with getting rid of my car...I have riden CATS a number of times in the past few weeks and have found it to be much more effective than I thought it would be. That being said there are still times one needs a car to do things such as a trip to buy bulky objects at Lowe's or Best Buy...for those I can walk 2 blocks down the street and rent a car from Enterprise for the day or weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately for me, i don't work uptown, but i would love to have a walking commute. We chose to live uptown because we work on opposite sides of town, commutes are reverse of the traffic, the housing/neighborhoods are more interesting, home values have more upside, and weekend activities/nightlife are more accessible. So, in other words, our goals for living uptown were not to give up our car.

I think in a city like charlotte, it would be much easier if there are 2 people in the household to downsize to one car for a two+ person household than zero cars for a one person household. Good luck to you, u/l if you can do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see you've woken up =) A lot of people have this misconception that bus systems are inconvenient, unsafe, dirty, or ineffective, but the truth is that they've only ridden them a couple times - not nearly enough to get the hang of the system. Once you get the hang of it - and it never takes longer than a week or two, you'll be able to do quite well.

I'm a student living and I only live three miles from NCSU's campus, so it's not quite the same as someone who commutes to the suburbs, but I'm living car-free nevertheless. I can't say from experience about Charlotte, but I find that CAT here in Raleigh does a pretty good job on the whole. Of course there are some points that could make my travels more efficient, but doing so would probably have a negative effect on more people, so you have to keep the big picture in mind. With Charlotte being a bigger city than Raleigh, I can imagine that the bus service would be even better.

If I ever need to buy something big (which is once, maybe twice a year) I can always call a friend with an SUV and treat him to lunch for his troubles. Barring that, I can easily rent a truck from U-Haul, which is still way cheaper than having to own a car and pay insurance and fuel.

I live about a quarter mile walk from K-mart. I also have a bicycle, with a luggage rack over the back tire, and a crate strapped on top of it, so I can to the grocery store. I put fenders on it, so I can ride it even when it's wet, and a headlight/taillight so I can use it in the dark. It's a nice setup... some people may say it looks stupid, but who cares about that? "looks stupid" is so arbitrary - beauty is in the eye of the beholder =)

bike.jpg

The practicality of a bicycle as a means of transportation is often overlooked in this country. I grew up in a suburban environment on the side of a mountain in Asheville, so there was no way to actually GO anywhere of use by bike. My bicycle was a toy - I literally had no concept of it as a means of transportation until I studied abroad in Japan. There, everyone has a basket on their bike for running errands, and it seems that more people commute via bike than by automobile - so I got used to riding my bike pretty much everywhere I needed to go. I liked it so much that when I came back to the US, I decided to give it a try. I found that the distances are much longer, drivers pay less attention to you, and there aren't nearly as many bike racks - but even so, it still works surprisingly well for distances of less than 5 miles. My bicycle has become my primary mode of transportation, and I burn enough calories getting around that I don't have to watch what I eat at all. On top of that, it's just plain fun ;)

Archived