Dubai Metro Network Project

DarkBlueBoss

The Dubai Metro System will be built around top-of-the-class modern trains, fully air-conditioned and customised to meet Dubai specific requirements. Each train will be approximately 75m long, consisting of 5 cars, with numerous double doors allowing fast and smooth flows of passengers in station.

The trains will offer a standard class, affordable to all, a women and children only section as well as an exclusive 1st Class section. All sections will have a high proportion of seats, and be equipped with a state-of-the-art Passenger Information System.

The trains will be driverless, fully automated, offering an extremely safe and reliable service with trains which could run as often as one every minute and a half, with extensive window panels providing stunning views from the elevated sections over the cityscape.

The trains will be fast and will run on tracks, while the electrical traction system is environmentally friendly, in terms of noise and with no gas emissions. No visually intrusive overhead contact lines will be needed, thanks to the "3rd rail" collection system. The trains will use steel wheels or tyres (to be defined later) running on a special double track for full guidance and support.

All station will be equipped with Platform Screen Doors, ensuring optimal safety for passengers and allowing to fully air-condition all stations, whether elevated or underground.

metro-urban-integration.jpg

metro-viaduct.jpg

metro-elevated-metro.jpg

metro-metro-station.jpg

Costs & Revenues

Investment costs for the full Dubai Metro System are assessed at a grand total of about 14.3 billion AED, including civil works, stations, system fixed equipment, trains, engineering and financing.

The operating cost should be approximately 570 million AED per year, including staff, maintenance, and power consumption. This operating cost is planned to be easily met through fare box revenue and additional revenues derived from advertisement space, joint development or other sources which may be assigned by the Dubai Municipality.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

I have just found some info. on the proposed Metro Network in Dubai, which is supposed to be completed by 2009.

Here's what it is supposed to look like:

DubaiMetroRail1.jpg

The Dubai Metro Network will comprise two lines:

The Red Line will initially run from Salahuddin Rd to the American University of Dubai through Burjuman and Sheikh Zayed Rd, and will progressively be extended to Jebel Ali Port in the south and the intersection of Al Nahda and Damascus roads through Al Qiyadah intersection in the north.

The Green Line will initially run from Al Ittihad Square to Rashidiya bus station through Deira City Centre and the Airport Terminals 1 and 3, and will progressively be extended to serve the Deira and Bur Dubai central areas and Souks up to Burjuman and Wafi shopping centres.

The two lines will total nearly 70 km, with 35 stations along the 50-km long Red Line, and 22 along the 20-km long Green Line. The two transfer stations at Al Ittihad Square and Burjuman are common to both lines.

Also, a possible extension of the Green Line from Wafi to the projected Festival City development is under study.

The two lines will run underground in the city centre

The two lines will run elevated on a specially designed viaduct everywhere else. The viaduct design and aesthetics is being developed specifically to actually enhance the urban architecture along its corridor. Also, the tracks will not cross the public highway, which will ensure plenty of safety. The metro project should fit very well into Dubai's urban setting.

Here's a few pics of what it might look like:

DubaiMetroProject3.jpg

DubaiMetroProject2.jpg

DubaiMetroProject1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an update on the Dubai Metro. It's been confirmed that Dubai is likely to get at least seven monorails in addition to the Dubai Light Rail project, with the development of new master-planned neighborhoods.The privately funded and developed monorails will primarily cater to the neighbourhoods and operate as feeder services to the Dubai Light Rail system, which will be completed in two phases by 2012.

Three of them one on The Palm Jumeirah, a second in Dubai International Financial Centre and the third in the City of Arabia at Dubailand, have been confirmed. Four others are being studied. The other four are likely to be built in Dubai Waterfront, the Burj Dubai complex, The Palm Deira and Dubai Festival City.

Dubai Festival City is an upscale mixed-use development in 1,600 acres housing at least five hotels, hundreds of apartments and townhouses, a shopping arcade, schools, hospitals, office towers, a business park, large retail facilities, public places, a golf course and large landscaped areas.

Emaar Properties' Burj Dubai complex, which is expected to house 30,000 families and will be visited by at least 30 million people a year, will require a sound transport system.Nakheel is working on a multi-mode transport mechanism for approximately one million residents at Dubai Waterfront to effectively move people and a number of traffic solutions are being studied.

The Palm Deira, the third palm project, will have a monorail linked to Dubai Light Rail.

The internal monorails will bring residents from various stations across the neighbourhood to Dubai Light Rail stations. An advantage to the monorail is that it will take tourists and visitors on a journey through a pre-historic dinosaur world, one of the attractions and wonders at the City of Arabia at Dubailand.

The transport system will carry tourists in capsules, which will pass through these wonders so that visitors can get a closer look at them.

This is excellent news to hear. Dubai needs to get a mass transit started soon, before all the tourists come and the infastructure isn't keeping up.

Yeah and it will probably be a lot easier to do it now than sometime later in the future, good planning.

Yeah, they need it now. The roads are completly packed because they were only designed for a city right now of 1 Million. You factor in all the tourists that visit Dubai each year which is around 5-7 Million, and the commuters from Abu Dhabi, Sharaj, you've got gridlock. This monorail system should be extremly popular and an asset to the tourist industry there also.

Yeah, they need it now. The roads are completly packed because they were only designed for a city right now of 1 Million. You factor in all the tourists that visit Dubai each year which is around 5-7 Million, and the commuters from Abu Dhabi, Sharaj, you've got gridlock. This monorail system should be extremly popular and an asset to the tourist industry there also.

I was wondering if it was much of a tourist city now. I know I see a lot of future developments but I wasn't sure what was there already built at this moment.

I was wondering if it was much of a tourist city now. I know I see a lot of future developments but I wasn't sure what was there already built at this moment.

Well, Dubai has a lot of tourism with things like waterparks, Burj Al Arab (world's tallest Hotel), the malls.

And once Dubailand, the offshore Developments, and other things are created, it will be the next major tourist city in the world. I'm just waiting for Disney to announce something over there in the next few years.

Well, Dubai has a lot of tourism with things like waterparks, Burj Al Arab (world's tallest Hotel), the malls.

And once Dubailand, the offshore Developments, and other things are created, it will be the next major tourist city in the world. I'm just waiting for Disney to announce something over there in the next few years.

Yeah I bet Disney is taking a good look over there.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a complete List of the Other Monorail Lines that will be conected to the Main Monorail network.

The Blue Line, The Palm Deira Lina, Palm Jebel Ali Line, The Burj Dubai Line, The Plam Jumeirah Line, The Dubai Land Line, The City of Arabia Line, The Dubai Waterfront Line, and the The Dubai Festival City Line.

Archived