Grand Central At Kennedy 68% Full

bobliocatt

By JANIS D. FROELICH

[email protected]

TAMPA - When developer Ken Stoltenberg and his partner, Frank Bombeeck of Mercury Advisors, began calling retailers to measure interest in their Channel District project, their calls weren't returned.

Now, almost two years later, Stoltenberg said retailers are calling them about leasing space at Grand Central at Kennedy.

``Retailers aren't pioneers,'' he said. ``But now that downtown Tampa and the Channel District are on everybody's radar screen with weekly announcements of new residential projects, their ears are perking up.''

Within the next six weeks, Stoltenberg plans to announce a grocery store coming to his 393-unit Grand Central at Kennedy, between Kennedy Boulevard and Madison Street.

He and his partner have sold 266 units since converting reservations to contracts. The units range from 600 to 2,200 square feet and cost between the high $100,000s to $500,000. Most are less than $300,000.

The midrise office, retail and housing community will have two buildings, one at 14 stories, the other at 12 stories. Roof decks have swimming pools, running tracks and private terraces and cabanas.

Stoltenberg said the 20,000- square-foot office and 125,000- square-foot retail will serve the community, as well as tenants. He's working to sign restaurants, a dry cleaner, coffee shop, plus a drugstore.

The groundbreaking should be within the next two months.

Stoltenberg said the majority of his buyers are 28 to 32. ``I was really surprised those interested were a little bit younger than I first thought,'' he said. ``We even have some under age 25.''

Grand Central at Kennedy is one of the first larger projects to go into the Channel District.

Stoltenberg said the sales center at 1208 E. Kennedy Blvd. will remain open through construction of the 4.35-acre property.

Information is available at www.notthesuburbs.com.

Reporter Janis D. Froelich can be reached at (813) 259-7143.

This story can be found at: http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGB2XD84B5E.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By JANIS D. FROELICH

[email protected]

TAMPA - When developer Ken Stoltenberg and his partner, Frank Bombeeck of Mercury Advisors, began calling retailers to measure interest in their Channel District project, their calls weren't returned.

Now, almost two years later, Stoltenberg said retailers are calling them about leasing space at Grand Central at Kennedy.

``Retailers aren't pioneers,'' he said. ``But now that downtown Tampa and the Channel District are on everybody's radar screen with weekly announcements of new residential projects, their ears are perking up.''

Within the next six weeks, Stoltenberg plans to announce a grocery store coming to his 393-unit Grand Central at Kennedy, between Kennedy Boulevard and Madison Street.

He and his partner have sold 266 units since converting reservations to contracts. The units range from 600 to 2,200 square feet and cost between the high $100,000s to $500,000. Most are less than $300,000.

The midrise office, retail and housing community will have two buildings, one at 14 stories, the other at 12 stories. Roof decks have swimming pools, running tracks and private terraces and cabanas.

Stoltenberg said the 20,000- square-foot office and 125,000- square-foot retail will serve the community, as well as tenants. He's working to sign restaurants, a dry cleaner, coffee shop, plus a drugstore.

The groundbreaking should be within the next two months.

Stoltenberg said the majority of his buyers are 28 to 32. ``I was really surprised those interested were a little bit younger than I first thought,'' he said. ``We even have some under age 25.''

Grand Central at Kennedy is one of the first larger projects to go into the Channel District.

Stoltenberg said the sales center at 1208 E. Kennedy Blvd. will remain open through construction of the 4.35-acre property.

Information is available at www.notthesuburbs.com.

Reporter Janis D. Froelich can be reached at (813) 259-7143.

This story can be found at: http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGB2XD84B5E.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This should help balance out the downtown area as this project is on the eastern edge of downtown. Should be a nice addition. I was down there this weekend and I can't believe all the projects that have recently broken ground.

Yeah, I've got to get back down there, sometime this summer to check everything out.  Two years from now, Tampa's going to have a completely different skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am very happy that Tampa's skyline is changing. I think it is for the better. Many of the people I talk to who enjoy the suburb life do not like the idea of residences in the downtown area. I always hear the negative stuff, i.e. traffic, too many people, too many buildings. In the essence, these are the things that attract me to downtown. But I do hear the positive feedbacks mostly from young professionals or young couples who enjoy the city life but also enjoy the weather, beaches and laid-back lifestyle that Tampa offers. My house in New Tampa is under contract and looking forward on moving into Parkcrest Harbour Island in April (will be overlooking Bayshore Blvd and Tampa Convention/Downtown area). I, too, have a reserved contract in Grand Central and can't wait for that to finish.

Kudos to Lakelander. Lots of great info.

Marc

Archived