Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be plopped with a Super Wal-Mart and Lowe's

oh wait... that's already happening.

I know the area's demographics have changed a lot and if it were to reopen as a mall it would be very much undersupported.. but I don't want to see Wal-Mart and Lowe's there. The Northeast side of town is starting to grow ever-so-slowly. They could always apply "smart growth" to the mall property and turn it into a lifestyle center but honestly the place is so isolated on the exit... i mean Cone Blvd just dead ends. On the other hand, a Wal-Mart could benifit the community.. I could imagine a Lowe's and Best Buy and other power-center type stores because Greensboro only has these stores on the gridlock that is Wendover and if stores build here it might alleviate some of that.. i really don't know.. i might come up with another idea later, lol

"We should not have to drive 20 miles across town to go to a grocery store."

also that, from this article: http://www.news-record.com/news/local/gso/...ncil_060805.htm

Is the mall still standing or has it been torn down already?

I remember my mom and I driving past the mall when I was in elementary school, probably in the late '80's and we drove by the mall on that highway....ugh I can't remember the highway name but I remember looking over, seeing the mall and saying something like "I didn't know there was another mall in Greensboro"...and my mom said something like "yeah but that's not a very good mall"...For some reason I specifically recall seeing Belks from the highway....funny the things one remembers from years ago. I'd love to get the chance to drive up to it once more if it's still standing, before they replace it with the big boxes...

Yea Carolina Circle Mall sits right off of US 29. Years ago it was very competitive with Four Seasons. About the time Four Seasons expanded to 3 levels, Carolina Circle began to decline.

Dr. Linder, the owner of the property, is trying to redevelop the mall property into a shopping center with free-standing bix box stores including Wal-mart. At this time, I believe the old mall building is still standing however its days are surely numbered. Even though a shopping center development including a Wal-mart is planned, it is still not certain whether that plan will work. There have been some recent complications which could jeopardize the deal.

Personally, I do not want to see another massive big-box retail shopping center. Unfortunately that is probably the best we can hope for and this area does despartly need better shopping options.

at last check, still standing.  I know Steven has pictures of it on his live malls site and yahoo photos i think

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do have some photos and thoughts on Carolina Circle online:

Carolina Circle Mall at Yahoo! Photos

steve's blog {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} carolina circle

steve's blog {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Carolina Circle Mall (Greensboro, NC) photos now online

LiveMalls {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} former Montgomery Ward, Carolina Circle Mall, Greensboro, North Carolina

i remember ice skating at carolina circle when i was a kid. and then around 2000 i went with some friends who were selling a bunch of stuff they inherrited from a family member at the flea market that they used to have there on the weekends.

i remember ice skating at carolina circle when i was a kid. and then around 2000 i went with some friends who were selling a bunch of stuff they inherrited from a family member at the flea market that they used to have there on the weekends.

Yeah, I remember the flea market they had going on for awhile. It was pretty eerie, the doors were locked, but you could still see the inside of the mall through the windows. It was actually pretty sad seeing the mall like that. I'd really like to see someone go through and bring it it back to life, though I don't think it's very likely now.

If I'm not mistaken, officials just voted to reject the $300K incentives package meant to lure Wal-Mart to the Circle Mall partly because of all the "thumbs-downs" it got from the blogging community. I actually remember going there when I was a kid (late 80's-early 90's) as well. I can't remember what was there besides the Toys-R-Us.

It's a decent use of funds in this situation and the sales tax revenue from Wal-Mart and Lowe's would cover the costs of the incentive package pretty quickly.

I think that's a bit of the point. Wal-Mart is one of the most profitable and largest companies in the world, I don't think they need incentives to move into a growing area. I think any "incentives" that they ask for is basically just trying to milk the local government for whatever they can get.

If I'm not mistaken, officials just voted to reject the $300K incentives package meant to lure Wal-Mart to the Circle Mall partly because of all the "thumbs-downs" it got from the blogging community.  I actually remember going there when I was a kid (late 80's-early 90's) as well.  I can't remember what was there besides the Toys-R-Us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Dr. Linder withdrew his request for the incentives noting that it did not have enough support from the city council to pass. I am glad he withdrew it because I felt like the incentive request was a bad idea. I think there are less controversial ways the city can support redevelopment on that property like helping with infrastructure.

Actually Dr. Linder withdrew his request for the incentives noting that it did not have enough support from the city council to pass.  I am glad he withdrew it because I felt like the incentive request was a bad idea.  I think there are less controversial ways the city can support redevelopment on that property like helping with infrastructure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well whatever happens I just hope something moves forwards soon because it's been vacant for too long now.

Actually Dr. Linder withdrew his request for the incentives noting that it did not have enough support from the city council to pass.  I am glad he withdrew it because I felt like the incentive request was a bad idea.  I think there are less controversial ways the city can support redevelopment on that property like helping with infrastructure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's what happened...my mistake.

Yea, I thinck a new wal-mart or a super target would go great there. I know many of you don't like them, but Greensboro actually needs another wal-mart as the 1 on wendover is real overcrowed. I see that area becoming a large suburban like shopping center. Similar to hanes mall or the freidly center shopping areas on a smaller level.

Yea, I thinck a new wal-mart or a super target would go great there. I know many of you don't like them, but Greensboro actually needs another wal-mart as the 1 on wendover is real overcrowed. I see that area becoming a large suburban like shopping center. Similar to hanes mall or the freidly center shopping areas on a smaller level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true - the Wal-Mart on Wendover is HELL on Earth.

a Belk, u think? I don't know how keen they'd be on returning.. lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One reason Belk left Carolina Circle is because the store was too big for the business they were doing. A 125,000 square foot Belk like they used to have is way to big for out there right now. A 40,000-60,000 square foot Belk however would work a little better.

Archived