Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The demolition has begun. I just saw the side facing highway 29. The demolition is from the main entrance to Montgomery Ward. Tomorow i'm taking my video camera out to ccm and videotape it before the whole mall is gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

awwww yeah take lots of vid and pics... if i was there i would

So we can no longer start threads that begin with "Carolina Circle Mall" because it will no longer be there now that they've started demolition. The area will never be the same. The 70's nostalgia was just great!!! Just some food for thought; I offered some executive of Pyramids Village $1000 for the giant CCM sign at the entrance and he turned it down. Guess it will just go to the dump...now there's a waste! It would have looked great in my yard.

So we can no longer start threads that begin with "Carolina Circle Mall" because it will no longer be there now that they've started demolition.  The area will never be the same.  The 70's nostalgia was just great!!!  Just some food for thought; I offered some executive of Pyramids Village $1000 for the giant CCM sign at the entrance and he turned it down.  Guess it will just go to the dump...now there's a waste!  It would have looked great in my yard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow.. thats too bad about the sign

I think, at least for another generation or so, that area will still be identified as 'Carolina Circle,' so I'd start threads on it based on that. It's certainly more original and less general than 'Northeast Greensboro.'

I feel mediamongrel's pain on that sign. Years ago when the old Sears in Roanoke was being gutted, I asked the building owner several times for the '50s era 'ESCALATOR' sign that was being removed. He never turned me down, but I never got that sign.

Oh well, the funk of Carolina Circle Mall will live on in our collective memories. :)

Did get an old orange shopping cart with the signature giraffes on it (circa 70's-80's) from the old Toys 'R' Us that used to be across from the Carolina Circle Mall. I wonder whats in the Montgomery Ward auto center across Ring Rd? I wonder if it still has working hydraulic lifts and all that type of stuff? Interesting...

I think, at least for another generation or so, that area will still be identified as 'Carolina Circle,' so I'd start threads on it based on that.  It's certainly more original and less general than 'Northeast Greensboro.'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In one of my movie scripts, feel free to read, we go to the year 2023. In 2023, I created my vision of what I'd like to see 20 years from now. Carolina Circle Dimension Centre. The Carolina Circle Dimension Centre includes the Wal-Mart, an Underground Museum, Hard Rock Cafe, House of Blues, a pond, and of course, a mall called The New Carolina Circle Mall complete with 3 stories of stores, a carousel, ice rink, and the same style Carolina Circle Mall had after it's face lift in the late 80's. To understand that script, you'll have to read part one. The ccdc is in part II.

Did get an old orange shopping cart with the signature giraffes on it (circa 70's-80's) from the old Toys 'R' Us that used to be across from the Carolina Circle Mall.  I wonder whats in the Montgomery Ward auto center across Ring Rd?  I wonder if it still has working hydraulic lifts and all that type of stuff?  Interesting...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbsup:

I wonder whats in the Montgomery Ward auto center across Ring Rd?  I wonder if it still has working hydraulic lifts and all that type of stuff?  Interesting...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably got most of the stuff that couldn't be moved easily still in there, so a hydraulic lift wouldn't be too far out of the range of possibility.

I wonder if they might leave the Auto Center part standing since it is across the road and because it could probably be easily converted into an auto lube place of some kind once the Wal Mart and everything is up. It would be sort of cool to still have one surviving pice of Montgomery Ward in operation!

By the way, does anyone know if they plan to demolish the part of the mall that is underground? The mall sits on two different elevations. The land slopes down at a pretty steep angle when going from the front of the mall to the back. I wonder if Wal-Mart plans to keep the inside lower level of the mall as a basement or something. It would be eerie if you could go down into the Wal Mart basement twenty years from now and still see the old storefronts underground. Haven't heard much about what they are actually demolishing.

I wonder if they might leave the Auto Center part standing since it is across the road and because it could probably be easily converted into an auto lube place of some kind once the Wal Mart and everything is up.  It would be sort of cool to still have one surviving pice of Montgomery Ward in operation!

By the way, does anyone know if they plan to demolish the part of the mall that is underground?  The mall sits on two different elevations.  The land slopes down at a pretty steep angle when going from the front of the mall to the back.  I wonder if Wal-Mart plans to keep the inside lower level of the mall as a basement or something.  It would be eerie if you could go down into the Wal Mart basement twenty years from now and still see the old storefronts underground.  Haven't heard much about what they are actually demolishing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be cool if they could do that with the auto center but i'm sure Wal Mart will start from scratch.. and as for the land, it'll probably be leveled

This is an interesting quote from Orson Scott Card of The Rhino Times:

I can't be the only citizen of Greensboro who recognized that, as mall architecture goes, the Carolina Circle mall was much better designed and more attractive than Four Seasons. Its only insuperable problem was its location, at the far edge of a city that is cursed with a tedious and impenetrable system of streets.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everyth...004-04-18.shtml

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't completely agree with him, but he's got a point.

^ It's true after the '88 renovations, Carolina Circle was a s full as it ever was going to get, but it didn't last long.

For one thing the department stores did not renovate their interiors, leaving this fresh new '80s interior with a very, very '70s counterpoint. Montgomery Ward did the most to update, but that was mostly painting their walls white and closing off parts of the store. Belk did some token updating, but Ivey's still was rocking the shag carpeting.

I don't remember the bridge, but I do remember the fountain. My movies that I made have spin-off "television series" and in one episode, we went inside ccm in 2005 and discovered an underground museum that the last owner built. It could be accessed through the water feature.

Carolina Circle use to be a popular mall in the 80s, just as popular as Four Seasons. Carolina Circle remodeled after Four Seasons open up its hidden 3rd floor for retail back in 1986. I remember the fountains in Carolina Circle. There were like 3 of them with bridges over them. The Ice Skating rink was replace with a food court and merry-go-round (big mistake). The new decor in the mall consisted of mirrors on the columns with pink, green and purple neon (very 1980s). The mall started to die when they removed the ice rink. It was the only ice skating rink in Greensboro at the time and it was a big attraction the attracted people to the mall from everywhere. It was so stupid to remove it. We have an ice rink now but its in an isolated building in the midst of big box suburnban sprawl.

Crime also ran cutomers away. There were a couple of shoot outs in the mall. And teens walking in large groups scared alot of the elderly away.

The new decor in the mall consisted of mirrors on the columns with neon (very 1980s).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The most '70s mall in America remodeled into the most '80s mall in America :lol:

Hard to believe it's all going to be gone really soon. It seems unreal.

Archived