Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On second thought, I'll make another yahoo album. I have 3 newspaper clippings. One from 1989 of a theater ad and two from 2 weeks ago from an article about ccm. Those two are pictures of the inside of the mall in 1989. Here's the link: Carolina Circle Mall in the News

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love the photos, roadgeek! Brings back memories. :thumbsup:

I gave you another mention on the blog:

http://stevenswain.blogspot.com/2005/07/ro...arolina_13.html

Wow roadgeek, those are some pretty impresive pictures of CCM! Where did you find them? I never knew CCM had that nice of an interior. It looks kind of odd to me because in one picture there is only 1 escalator.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, in my opinion, the interior of the remodeled ccm was much brighter and more attractive than Four Seasons Mall. Four Seasons has more of a dark and brown interior. Four Seasons speacializes in only one season. Fall.

I never knew CCM had that nice of an interior. It looks kind of odd to me because in one picture there is only 1 escalator.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carolina Circle only had one set of mall escalators that flanked center court and Dillard's. The one shown was facing Belk and the other faced Montgomery Ward.

Yeah, in my opinion, the interior of the remodeled ccm was much brighter and more attractive than Four Seasons Mall. Four Seasons has more of a dark and brown interior. Four Seasons speacializes in only one season. Fall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't go that far. Since 1987, Four Seasons has had a beautiful interior. The 1987-1999 interior was bright and airy, while the curent interior is sophisticated and elegant. Now the exterior is garbage, but most were from the time period (with the notable exception of Hanes Mall, which was badass back then and is still reasonably so, even though the current owners removed all the stone veneer)

Right now, the closest mall around here that's similar to Carolina Circle is Hanes Mall. It has a bright interior and a carousel. However, the Ruby Tuesday that is currently at Four Seasons used to be a Piccadilly just like ccm.

PS: If Carolina Circle never closed and was alive and well today, would it be any different than it was about 10 years ago? I know one change would be Montgomery Ward. Even if the mall did survive, Montgomery Ward would still be gone.

PS: If Carolina Circle never closed and was alive and well today, would it be any different than it was about 10 years ago? I know one change would be Montgomery Ward. Even if the mall did survive, Montgomery Ward would still be gone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know how healthy Carolina Circle would have been if it was still open. Even when they were doing the renovation, there were already some big signs of weakness. The part that was always occupied stretched from Belk to Dillard's, but the Montgomery Ward wing historically had always been pretty dead. The best the mall ever did occupancy-wise was about 85% and that was directly around the renovation and fell quickly aftewards

Dillard's took that location as part of its purchase of Ivey's and I never believed they wanted to be out there. My doubts are with Ivey's as well. When the Four Seasons store was getting a massive remodel in the late '80s, the Carolina Circle store hardly got a dime of improvement money, except for the juniors department downstairs. Belk was the same way. Belk Four Seasons got a multi-million dollar remodel, Belk Carolina Circle never even got new paint.

Another thing that killed the place was the erosion of its key northern markets in Rockingham and Caswell Counties and in Pittsylvania County, Va. Eden got a mall in 1980 and Danville got one in 1984. Each of those malls was smaller than Carolina Circle but they were better located and split the market. Truth be told, nowadays Eden Mall is dying as well and Piedmont Mall is treading water, but they have carved out niches as local malls, something Carolina Circle never did.

wow suprising how nice and relatively modern it appears in those pics...inside it would appear as if the mall would have been quite viable...leaving one to assume the location was really what ultimately killed it....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a beautiful mall in a way, but it was starcrossed form the beginning. Nothing could save it form being in the ghetto in the least accessable part of Greensboro.

Managed to get this sign (with permission) before the demolition began.

mvc001f3th.th.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, so the construction guys there at CCM allowed you to go in there and get that! I should get over there pretty soon so I can get some stuff. could you tell if there was any other stuff there to salvage?

I didn't get this from the construction guys...I doubt they'll let you get anything at this point other than scraps. You would probably have to ask around the "Linder" organization. I got this sign way back in January. I wont mention the guys name, but if call up the old Pyramid's village organization, the guy I spoke with was very nice. Though, I think now it is owned by Wal-Mart, so I don't know if the other people even have access anymore.

Cool! I remember that sign. I've been trying to make a replica of it for my movie, but I didn't remember exactly how it looked. Thanks for the picture. Wasn't that near belk?

PS: Is there a simple way to get something like that sign? That mall is a very big part of my life and I want something to remember it by.

PS Again: I made an iron on t-shirt on the computer and it says "My friend went to Carolina Circle Mall, and all I got was this stupid t-shirt."

Anyone want to make a list of Carolina Circle Mall's former tenants? I'll start.

an asterisk (*) notes additions made after the original post

Belk

Dillard's (Ivey's)

Montgomery Ward

AMC Circle 6 Cinema

Eckerd

Piccadilly Cafeteria

Service Merchandise (Ellman's)

Toys-R-Us

Added Dimensions

Angie's

Camelot Music

CCB

Chick-fil-A

Color Tile

Fifth Avenue Menswear

Finish Line

Foot Locker

Foxy Fashions*

GNC

Jeans West

Lerner

Phil's Shoes

Praygo-Guyse

Radio Shack*

Regis Hairstylists

Saslow's Jewelers

Stuarts

The Shoe Department

Waldenbooks

Your additons are welcome...

the only outparcels were the now demolished Toys R Us and the Montgomery Ward's Auto Center

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CCB, Color Tile, Pearle Vision Center, 1st Home Federal and Service Merchandise were all outparcels, as well as Montgomery Ward's Auto Express and Toys-R-Us.

Archived