Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

^ More than likely Carolina Circle will be a discount shopping center. The demographics lean to a more discount-oriented development, and a lot of the fancier stores that used to be at the old Carolina Circle in the '70s and '80s won't be back anytime soon.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the demographics, at least in the short-term, lend itself more toward economical stores such as Wal-mart. However with the Reedy Fork ranch development coming along (approx. 6,000 homes being built just to the north), the area could become more attractive again for higher quality retailers.

This actually would be Greensboro's fourth Walmart. Wendover, Battleground and a third is being built at S. Elm St./Painter Blvd. However none of these are close to the Carolina Circle Mall area so the need still persists.

My guess is that Wal-mart will come initially, followed by a strip shopping center including a grocery store and smaller retailers. Probally a free-standing drug-store like Eckerd's or CVS also. Then after that, as Reedy Fork continues to grow and developers see the area doing well, more retailers will move in. Total build out of the property probably will not happen right away. That is just my guess.

Anyway, nothing very exciting, but the area does need more retail and overall this is not a bad reuse.

Okay my opinion. Remember I'm a newbie. I have used the term "roadgeek" for anything that I like. For instance, I have a roadgeek desktop computer and a roadgeek laptop computer. I like Carolina Circle Mall so much that it's my roadgeek mall. Anyway back to the topic I would like to see the mall reopen and return to it's 1990's form. It is more unlikely than buying ocean front property in Nevada, but I dream. But since it closed, I've wanted something there. A Wal-mart would be nice and I would like a place to hang out. I even heard that they're putting an 8 hole mini golf course there as well. But I am heartbroken to see the mall be destroyed. It has been a big part of my life.

Okay my opinion...I like Carolina Circle Mall so much that it's my roadgeek mall. Anyway back to the topic I would like to see the mall reopen and return to it's 1990's form. It is more unlikely than buying ocean front property in Nevada, but I dream. But since it closed, I've wanted something there. A Wal-mart would be nice and I would like a place to hang out. I even heard that they're putting an 8 hole mini golf course there as well. But I am heartbroken to see the mall be destroyed. It has been a big part of my life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome roadgeek! Carolina Circle is one of my "roadgeek" malls as well, to borrow your expression. I've only been there a dozen times or so, but it left a strong imperssion.

^i think that could work

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would supplement what's already at that shopping center and it would erase the memory of the dead Kmart across from the dead mall.

I went by the old Kmart in Charlotte on South Boulevard near Tyvola Road today and noticed the space was finally full again! They had a new A.J. Wright store and a CitiTrends. While neither of these is my usual taste in retailers, they did help add some life to what was previously a very dead strip and they were a pretty popular destination for a lot of people on a Sunday afternoon.

If something at least that good happend in the old Kmart strip or at Carolina Circle, that woud make a big impact.

I would like a place to hang out. I even heard that they're putting an 8 hole mini golf course there as well. But I am heartbroken to see the mall be destroyed. It has been a big part of my life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A place to hang out would be great -- Especially for us college students who get tired of 'Greensboring' easily. Greensboro REALLY needs better minature golf, yeah we've got Celebration Station but that's all. And I would love it if we had much better Laser Tag than that half-assed rip off place on Wendover :) I can sympathize about being heartbroken about the mall...

A place to hang out would be great -- Especially for us college students who get tired of 'Greensboring' easily.  Greensboro REALLY needs better minature golf, yeah we've got Celebration Station but that's all.  And I would love it if we had much better Laser Tag than that half-assed rip off place on Wendover :)  I can sympathize about being heartbroken about the mall...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ Putt-Putt used to have pretty decent minature golf before they went out of business.  They're long gone now; all you see are weeds and concrete animals when you pass by the place on High Point Road these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh, my GF and i went to that putt-putt last year not knowing they were out of business. we drove up and were like WTF!? i never noticed it was closed.

heh, my GF and i went to that putt-putt last year not knowing they were out of business. we drove up and were like WTF!? i never noticed it was closed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, they just kinda closed down one day without warning. The one next to Hanes Mall looks particurally creepy at nght because no one has cleared the concrete animals or the dead vegetation. At least in Greensboro they did clean it up somewhat.

In Greensboro, the furniture store in the old Hechinger, across the street from Putt-Putt, snagged the old giraffe and the elephant. But that place looks as dead as Putt-Putt, only cleaner.

Yeah, they just kinda closed down one day without warning.  The one next to Hanes Mall looks particurally creepy at nght because no one has cleared the concrete animals or the dead vegetation.  At least in Greensboro they did clean it up somewhat. 

In Greensboro, the furniture store in the old Hechinger, across the street from Putt-Putt, snagged the old giraffe and the elephant.  But that place looks as dead as Putt-Putt, only cleaner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when we discovered that the putt-putt had been closed down, we also noticed the animals that had migrated across the street. :lol:

That brings up an interesting point (not the concrete animals, per se :) ):

We all know the Carolina Circle Mall area is in need of a major boost, but the High Point Road corridor is in pretty sad shape as well. thins seemed to go pretty well out there before Wendover exploded, and nowadays there's a lot of empty and blighted buildings. What gives? Is anyone paying attention to that area going downhill? What needs to be done?

I may have to start another thread on this:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12516

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody seems to remember the water slide park that used to be on the other side of Carolina Circle. I think you could park in the mall lots and walk to the entrance.

It was the main reason I remember asking my mother to go shop there. This must have been around 1981. I think the park was called "Oasis". It had a few palm trees planted around it it, which the NC winters killed off after a few seasons. :P That started giving the park a neglected look...

A few years later, the bigger water park off Holden road got built. (I'd guess this would be around 1985) The one near the mall closed and filled up with weeds, and I suppose got dismantled.

Everything connected with CCM seems to close up shop... ;)

I don't remember the water park or skateboard park at all. I guess I wasn't paying attention or something. We only went out to Carolina Circle once or twice a year (at best) when I was younger.

One thing I do remember is there was a nightclub in the old Shoney's on Cone Boulevard in front of the mall. I don't know if its gone, but considering the neighborhood business track record, I'd say it was.

Now that Wal-Mart is buying the land, I wonder if Lowe's is still coming too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, more than likely. Lowe's and Wal-Mart tend to open stores near each other.

There hasn't been a Lowe's on that side of town since the one on Yanceyville Street at Cone Blvd. closed and moved to Battleground Avenue in the '90s.

Archived