Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting...I wonder if Wal Mart has jurisdiction to knock down all of those storefront churches and stuff?? I'm sorta glad they tore the mall down though only because it was getting eerie to drive there and see stores that I actually went into in 1999 and 2000 boarded up. The K-Mart plaza felt even more bizarre...I think that K-Mart still had the classic orange and green K-Mart letter design if I remember. I wonder who's going to buy that plaza?

AFAIK, Wal-Mart owns the entire Carolina Circle Mall property now. Whether they'll tear dowen those churches is anyone's guess, but they are in the way of Wal-Mart's view from US 29 and I'm figuring they're gonna go eventually.

That Kmart on Cone Boulevard had the old Kmart signage, but it was updated to a Big Kmart before it closed.

It really doesn't seem that big, but when you drive in there and look at it, it is pretty huge. You would probably need to rent a flatbed if you were to get the sign. Also, you would need a big backyard...

Too bad I missed the Montgomery Ward demolition..I could have decorated one of my extra bedrooms with the old lime green and orange shag carpeting! (the kind with the soft drink stains from 1978.)

Too bad I missed the Montgomery Ward demolition..I could have decorated one of my extra bedrooms with the old lime green and orange shag carpeting! (the kind with the soft drink stains from 1978.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

Like I said, I'll miss Montgomery Ward the most. They had lime green, kelly green, gold, orange, purple (yeah purple), and brown carpet in there, and that was just upstairs!

Demolition update. The demolition has moved further north and they are now gutting Belk. Also, all of the Montgomery Ward signs on the side facing us 29 and the side facing the auto center are gone. I don't know about the other side.

Demolition update. The demolition has moved further north and they are now gutting Belk. Also, all of the Montgomery Ward signs on the side facing us 29 and the side facing the auto center are gone. I don't know about the other side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that Wards is gone, that's pretty much the end of the place for me. The rest of it wasn't quite as memorable.

Sometime this week, I'll be heading back to ccm to take some more pictures. A lot has happened since I took those last pictures.

PS: Check this out. Montgomery Ward is still alive. They still have a website. But it's still not the same as the good old Carolina Circle Montgomery Ward. Montgomery Ward

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Montgomery Ward's was the best part of the CCM, I think there was only one other one in NC over north of Raleigh.

Montgomery Ward's was the best part of the CCM, I think there was only one other one in NC over north of Raleigh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was one at Tarrytown Mall in Rocky Mount that Hurricane Floyd killed in '99, but there were at least two other Montgomery Wards in the modern suburban era in North Carolina.

One was at South Square Mall in Durham and went out of business in the early '80s. That one turned into Ivey's and then Dillard's before they flattened it in '03. The other was at Asheville Mall and is now the Dillard's men's or home store, I think.

The Rocky Mount store was a decent looking building for the time. The Carolina Circle Wards was at least stylish for 1976, even if it didn't neccessarily age that well. However, Montgomery Ward at South Square Mall was the ugliest part of an exceedingly ugly mall. I never saw it as an MW to my rememberance, but the exterior as Ivey's and Dillard's was awful.

Wow I didn't realize that Montgomery Ward was at South Square Mall in Durham...apparantely for less then 10 yrs. The mall opened in '75....so maybe it made it to the 10 yr point if it lasted until '85....I wonder y it closed so quickly....South Square was a really popular mall up until Southpointe opened....yes the mall was quite ugly.....didn't age well lol

Archived