Carolina Circle Mall

StevenRocks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me try again. I was too far away from my wireless modem so I was unable to post my message.

If you look at the opening years for Carolina Circle Mall and Wal-Mart, you'll see they share the last digit of the year they opened. Carolina Circle Mall: 1976 Wal-Mart: 2006. If the Wal-Mart keeps on schedule, this will be a fact. Just another reason why ccm will still be alive in Wal-Mart.

Lowe's and Home Depot do group together so it's not too far fetched a possibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but if anyone thinks that the area we're talking about can support a Lowe's AND a Home Depot you're crazy. There are areas in Charlotte and Raleigh where the Home Depot and Lowe's are across from each other and they still do only mediocre business. Besides Lowe's Home Improvment may not even want that location. There's not exactly a building boom east of Rt. 29.

Yeah, but if anyone thinks that the area we're talking about can support a Lowe's AND a Home Depot you're crazy.  There are areas in Charlotte and Raleigh where the Home Depot and Lowe's are across from each other and they still do only mediocre business.  Besides Lowe's Home Improvment may not even want that location.  There's not exactly a building boom east of Rt. 29.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I dont think it is that far fetched. There are many housing developments (and long existed housing neighborhoods..including the one I grew up in) around in the area where driving there could make good sense. Reedy Fork Ranch has been mentioned many times for one. You also forget there is a good population that exists out in the countryside as you head east out of town through country roads. There was a Lowes on Yanceyville way back when, before the one on Battleground was built....I really would like to see "something" in the KMart part as well as whatever may build in the CCM area. It would be really nice to see a revitilization of that area.

Wal-Mart is famous for tapping underserved markets and causing a sustained and successful retail explosion.

Just the opening of one in my town in 1996 caused a building boom, with a new shopping center anchored by Kroger and Peebles next to Wal-Mart, an Applebee's and a new Lowe's currently under construction, along wit other development.

We wouldn't have had any of that if it wasn't for Wal-Mart's influence. All we had before that was Roses and three small grocery stores, the newest of which opend in 1986.

Aren't there enough threads on here that discuss the relative merits or evils of Wal-Mart? :grin: I propose we move on.

I'm not interested in what Wal-Mart's doing to other communities. All the supposedly more "responsible" retailers aren't in the neighborhood around Carolina Circle and won't come out there because they think it's exclusively a poor black neighborhood with high crime.

I, for one, commend Wal-Mart for at least giving Carolina Circle a chance at survival as a retail site and the people that live out there a decent store to shop in.

There's no way to justify any of Wal-Mart's actions, other than to say that other retailers are just as guilty (but since Wal-Mart's the biggest they get the most grief) and hell, they may decide to pack it in after they come there for a while, but the way it was going there was not much hope for the area as it existed before.

Aren't there enough threads on here that discuss the relative merits or evils of Wal-Mart?  :grin:  I propose we move on.

I'm not interested in what Wal-Mart's doing to other communities.  All the supposedly more "responsible" retailers aren't in the neighborhood around Carolina Circle and won't come out there because they think it's exclusively a poor black neighborhood with high crime. 

I, for one, commend Wal-Mart for at least giving Carolina Circle a chance at survival as a retail site and the people that live out there a decent store to shop in. 

There's no way to justify any of Wal-Mart's actions, other than to say that other retailers are just as guilty (but since Wal-Mart's the biggest they get the most grief) and hell, they may decide to pack it in after they come there for a while, but the way it was going there was not much hope for the area as it existed before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess we can start calling W-M the great American poor area fixer upper. All kidding aside, it has done some wonderful things for people. Wal-Mart's new nick name should be "Ying and Yang."

Oh I didn't know Ivey's closed with the mall! I thought it got converted to another store?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I called it Ivey's out of habit. That anchor was Dillard's for about 8 years before it closed, but it was a outlet for a good portion of that time.

• 3 years later...

Archived