PHOTOS: Some photos of the Cranston St Armory

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at these before I left work this afternoon and didn't get a chance to comment, they look awesome. I'll add them to the Photo Thread list.

I actually voted against the Armory bond question. I feel a better use can be found than what was proposed. It's not going to get torn down (he said with fingers crossed whilst knocking on wood), so I'd rather wait for something better to come around. If there's not a better proposal by the 2006 elections and the same question was back on the ballot, I'd probably vote for it.

Liam, you can actually post your images directly in the thread if you like (there's a limit of 30 images per post). With the .Mac albums you are using, you need to to choose the thumb. When the thumb opens, click it again and that brings up the source of the image, you can then choose View/Address Bar in Safari to get it to show you the URL. Then copy the URL into your post and put 'IMG' tags around it like so:

[img=http://homepage.mac.com/liamlunchtray/.Pictures/armory%20update/P8090018.jpg]

Then you get:

P8090018.jpg

If your images are sequentially numbered you don't have to go through all those steps each time, just edit the URL for each image.

I was looking at these before I left work this afternoon and didn't get a chance to comment, they look awesome. I'll add them to the Photo Thread list.

I actually voted against the Armory bond question. I feel a better use can be found than what was proposed. It's not going to get torn down (he said with fingers crossed whilst knocking on wood), so I'd rather wait for something better to come around. If there's not a better proposal by the 2006 elections and the same question was back on the ballot, I'd probably vote for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was very strongly in favor of the bond. While there are other used that probably would have gotten me fired up more, I thought this plan was well thought out and would be good for the neighborhood. Bringing in Office workers would mean a lot more bodies around to support small businesses, and would hopefully allow some small Cafe/restaurants to open and be successful. It also would have saved the state a lot of money over the years and proven that creative reuse is possible and financially sound. Beyond that it would have taken the state archives out of their current location which is a leased building in a flood plain. I know the building certainly isnt in any danger of being torn down, but it IS in danger of be vandalized or torched. There are so many windows that anyone who wants in can do so easily. While we were touring it there was evidence of homeless folks sleeping there. We live very close to the building and every time the fire alarm goes off (usually being shorted out by water leaks) I get a sick feeling that someone has finally torched the place.

I also always find it bizzare when we have a cold snap and they are saying that all the homeless shelters are overflowing that there is this HUGE heated building right there that litterally has hundreds of mattresses inside it (URI Storage) that people are not allowed to sleep on. Kinda sad.

Liam

I think in 15 years eveyone's going to totally forget about the East Side because the Armory area is going to be Providence's top neighbourhood, OK maybe 20 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may be correct in your assumption. While the area fell far from grace at one time; today you can see that the area is picking itself up by its own boot straps. In some ways it reminds me of Adams Morgan in Washington, D.C. That neighborhood has made a complete turn around (heck, they even have trolleys similar to the ones in Providence plying U Street now) and the Armory seems like it's on the same path.

The first two are of one of my very favorite houses in Providence. I would do anything to own this place and restore it.

broadway.jpg

broadway2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, The Barnaby Castle...my house is very close to here, albeit about an eighth its size! It really is one of the most beautiful houses in Providence. Unfortunately, I hear a real jerk has owned it for years and years and has constantly rebuffed all efforts to restore it or allow it to be used for anything. I'd likewise KILL to get ahold of that house!

BTW Liam, I'm friends with Mike B. and Josie, you too eh? I think I met you at a party at their old apartment on Wood St. a year and half ago or so...

Ah, The Barnaby Castle...my house is very close to here, albeit about an eighth its size! It really is one of the most beautiful houses in Providence. Unfortunately, I hear a real jerk has owned it for years and years and has constantly rebuffed all efforts to restore it or allow it to be used for anything. I'd likewise KILL to get ahold of that house!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I'm thinking of the right house, it's near Julian's on Broadway, correct? I took my folks for brunch there one Sunday when they were visiting, and their jaws dropped when they saw that house. What a shame the owners don't want to do anything with it... Great photos! Thanks for sharing...

- Garris

BTW Liam, I'm friends with Mike B. and Josie, you too eh? I think I met you at a party at their old apartment on Wood St. a year and half ago or so...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rhode Island is so damn small :-) I've known Mike for a good 18 years or so and then met Josie through him... We prolly did meet over there - I am just horrible at names and faces though...

Liam

• 3 months later...

I think in 15 years eveyone's going to totally forget about the East Side because the Armory area is going to be Providence's top neighbourhood, OK maybe 20 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of mine has been saying that for the last 10 years! I always told him that he's nuts but now I'm not so sure!

The State should put out an RFP and sell the Armory. Cianci did it some years ago but manuvered the deal around so Corrente could get it for a sound stage that never happened. They trashed a bunch of other legit appliciants for him.

RFP and sell it. Done.

The State should put out an RFP and sell the Armory. Cianci did it some years ago but manuvered the deal around so Corrente could get it for a sound stage that never happened. They trashed a bunch of other legit appliciants for him.

RFP and sell it. Done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it wasen't Cianci, but former Gov. Lincoln Almond who awarded the right to develop a sound stage there to Corrente. The state owns this property, not the city. Corrente was picked over a Hollywood Co. I can remember the woman who leads the WBNA (Lang ?) being very vocal on the selection process. Almond made the wrong choice after taking forever to make his mind up. Corrente couldn't find financing. So there sits the building, unused. The state just approved money for the upkeep of the building. Cianci wanted to see something like a military high school there after the Corrente failure.

I was very strongly in favor of the bond. While there are other used that probably would have gotten me fired up more, I thought this plan was well thought out and would be good for the neighborhood. Bringing in Office workers would mean a lot more bodies around to support small businesses, and would hopefully allow some small Cafe/restaurants to open and be successful. It also would have saved the state a lot of money over the years and proven that creative reuse is possible and financially sound. Beyond that it would have taken the state archives out of their current location which is a leased building in a flood plain.  I know the building certainly isnt in any danger of being torn down, but it IS in danger of be vandalized or torched. There are so many windows that anyone who wants in can do so easily. While we were touring it there was evidence of homeless folks sleeping there. We live very close to the building and every time the fire alarm goes off (usually being shorted out by water leaks) I get a sick feeling that someone has finally torched the place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, Liam. I was in favor of it as well. The State Archives are currently renting from Paolino (ugh) in Downcity IN A FLOODPLAIN! The archives would have been much safer in this already state-owned building. No t to mention what you said about encouraging other businesses, or even other uses, for the Armory.

The state found some money to keep the building from crumbling, but I dont know how long they will continue to support it if they feel only a small portion of the public cares about it.

• 11 months later...

Archived