Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kgbnsf

Urban steam districts

kgbnsf    0

The local gas and electric utility in Rochester, NY used to run a small power generating plant downtown that not only generated electric but also provided steam for the downtown buildings, newer highrises included. This is presumably for heat. I believe it's since been sold to a consortium of business interests. I remember as a kid always seeing the steam rising up through the manhole covers.

Is this fairly common that there's one common provider of steam for a downtown district, rather than each building creating their own steam? Perhaps, just in the older cities of the Northeast?

Cotuit    0

Rhode Island School of Design in Providence has a central system that produces steam for numerous buildigns across the East Side. There was a burst pipe under a park late last year, it was pretty neat seeing the garden beds steaming.

Allan    0

Detroit still has an extensive steam heat system under downtown and midtown. 252 buildings are heated by the system, which is currently receiving major upgrades to make it more efficient.

nashvol85    0

Nashville had one right downtown...but a 3 alarm blaze fixed that. I believe that the system has been replaced since then. The odd thing is that the city was planning to demolish the old facility anyways.