The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that is a huge retail development, that makes Greenville's SHops at Greenridge look small. they are only spending $64,000,000 and will only be 600,000 sf. I am counting at least 871,000 sf from that article.

Does anyone have any master plan or site plan images they can link or upload for us to see?

Wow that is a huge retail development, that makes Greenville's SHops at Greenridge look small.  they are only spending $64,000,000 and will only be 600,000 sf.  I am counting at least 871,000 sf from that article.

Does anyone have any master plan or site plan images they can link or upload for us to see?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a post on this site that refers to the Village at Sandhill.

Village at Sandhill Post

Why do they want to put a JC Penny as an anchor store? There is already a JC Penny at Columbia Mall which is a 20 minute or less drive. Since this village is being built in a middle to upper class neighborhood, why not put a Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales as an anchor store.

But then again, who knows, they did say there were going to be four anchor stores so maybe they will put something there that Columbia hasn't seen before.

Sandhill is too far out in the burbs for a Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales. They would be bettersuited for Richland Mall IMO. They would be central to most of the metro there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are so right about them being better suited for Richland Mall. Why didn't the manager there put retail stores in the mall that people have actually heard of. I don't mean to get on another subject, but personally, I think Richland Mall has one more strike before they're out.

Why do they want to put a JC Penny as an anchor store? There is already a JC Penny at Columbia Mall which is a 20 minute or less drive. Since this village is being built in a middle to upper class neighborhood, why not put a Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales as an anchor store.

But then again, who knows, they did say there were going to be four anchor stores so maybe they will put something there that Columbia hasn't seen before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Richland Mall had a Bonwit Teller store in 1989 and 1990. The Bonwit Teller chain was owned by the mall owner (L.J. Hooker) and they insisted on putting the retailer in the mall. Columbia just wasn't ready for such high end product - and I'm not sure that we are today.

You are so right about them being better suited for Richland Mall. Why didn't the manager there put retail stores in the mall that people have actually heard of. I don't mean to get on another subject, but personally, I think Richland Mall has one more strike before they're out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tend to agree with this. If they strike out, then what will go in its place? That is a busy intersection. Its location is good in terms of traffic, but bad in that it isn't in the suburbs where malls tend to be the most successful. What does everyone else think?

Actually, Richland Mall had a Bonwit Teller store in 1989 and 1990. The Bonwit Teller chain was owned by the mall owner (L.J. Hooker) and they insisted on putting the retailer in the mall. Columbia just wasn't ready for such high end product - and I'm not sure that we are today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a good point. Columbia needs a population about like Charlotte is now (1.2million) before it could more easily sustain some of these higher end stores.

I tend to agree with this. If they strike out, then what will go in its place? That is a busy intersection. Its location is good in terms of traffic, but bad in that it isn't in the suburbs where malls tend to be the most successful. What does everyone else think?

The mall is under contract, and the new owner has some good ideas. He realizes that he can't go head to head with the owners of Columbia Place and Columbiana. Those owners operate multiple malls and have significant clout with the national and regional retailers. The new owner of Richland Mall is committed to "repositioning" the mall to coexist with the other malls.

The anchor tenants were reportedly very happy with the past Christmas season - which is good. Converting a portion of the mall to the Verizon call center was smart, although the 700+ Verizon employees aren't spending their lunch or breaks in the mall.

Hopefully the new owner will pull off the repositioning.

Sorry, no harm intended.  Posting a link is easier anyway :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not a problem at all. Post something that would encourage people to read the article. Maybe a clip or the important paragraphs from it. The goal is to have the important info and/or your thoughts about it up front and if people want more background info then they consult the link.

Ok, you can see the map here. What was all that space before? It seems to me that it was a parking deck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The space where the call center is, used to be the best food court (aestetically) that I have ever seen, but there were never more than 4 or 5 restaurants in it. It had a huge window about 200 feet long, with mobiles, a stage and cool artwork. It was a little out of the way of regular foot traffic in the mall, though, so they turned it into a call center and built a much smaller food court. I still like Richland Mall, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to shop at Bonwits and the business there wasn't bad. The chain went bankrupt, however, and the Richland Mall store closed, along with all the rest of their stores.

I noticed that "the village" is putting in a bonefish restaraunt. I don't know how many of you have eaten there but it's excellent! I ate at one in Tampa a couple of years back.

Also is it me or does this place look like it is shaping out just like a "broadway at the beach, or barefoot landing" type of establishment in Myrtle? I have to do a double take and make sure burroughs & chapin aren't behind this project. ;)

BILO Super Center!?!

They've gone and done it, BILO has officially stepped to the next level, whether its good or bad remains to be seen. They will open a 61,000 sq ft 24 hr "Super BILO" Wednesday morning, the only one of its kind in existance in the "Village at Sandhill". It will have 125 employees and will include:

Archived