The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hanes Mall is in Winston-Salem, right? Is it considered the best in the Triad?

Anyway, The State has an article in today's edition about how traditional malls must adapt when big deapartment store anchors choose to leave for the newer, open-air types. I await Steven's analysis of this article. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Hanes is actually NC's largest mall.. Some people do consider it the Triad's best.

also interesting to note this article supplementary to the one you posted http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/11875229.htm

"Columbia

Reminds me of Hanes Mall's Belk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does for me, too. I think Hanes Mall's belk is a little nicer looking, but the Columbia Place store isn't bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of sales, Hanes Mall is the Triad's best performing malll, but it's also the only regional mall in the city and Forsyth County, whereas Greensboro's Friendly Center and Four Seasons Town Centre and Oak Hollow Mall in High Point split up Guilford County.

I've always given the edge to Four Seasons because its department stores are bigger than Hanes (save for Belk), but Hanes Mall did get a lot of the nicer popular chain stores like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, Ann Taylor, Pottery Barn, Old Navy, and Williams-Sonoma years before Four Seasons did and their Belk is a lot nicer than the Four Seasons location.

Anyway, The State has an article in today's edition about how traditional malls must adapt when big deapartment store anchors choose to leave for the newer, open-air types. I await Steven's analysis of this article. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not going to gloat :P

After reading the articles in The State, one can conclude that Columbia Place is threatened somewhat by The Village at Sandhill, but it's gaining momentum against both its current competition and the notion that enclosed malls are in decline overall. While my views on JCPenney on this thread are well known, by vacating the space at the mall, Columbia Place could see the introduction of a new anchor or cluster of stores that would keep the momentum going better than Penney's would have.

Too bad JCPenney couldn't be a part of the continuing renaissance, but hey, business is business and perception can cloud reality, even for a big company like that. Maybe Columbia Place will get a Target like Citadel Mall and Savannah Mall or a new lifestyle wing like some other malls are getting.

Maybe Columbia Place will get a Target like Citadel Mall and Savannah Mall or a new lifestyle wing like some other malls are getting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm not a big fan of Citadel Mall doing that. When JCPenney left, there should have been a push for more of an upscale store like the one in Columbia Place: Macy's. Parisian is more of an upscale store, and adding a Macy's to Citadel Mall would have increased its prominence for being the premier shopping destination back home. Or they could have done what Florence's Magnolia Mall did: put in a Best Buy! The only Best Buy in Charleston is the one on Rivers Avenue. How cool would it have been to put a Best Buy into the mall, right next to the food court? Target should be more of an open-air type store...I especially like the renovated one on Garner's Ferry at The Woodmill. Very nice development!

^ I think of Best Buy as an open-air type store, too, but I could imagine one in a mall would be cool, especially for the guys (like me) who shop.

Macy's, I think, will come to Charleston by way of acquisition. Parisian is a good candidate to be sold, with its parent company (Saks) going through changes.

Well, I'm not a big fan of Citadel Mall doing that. When JCPenney left, there should have been a push for more of an upscale store like the one in Columbia Place: Macy's. Parisian is more of an upscale store, and adding a Macy's to Citadel Mall would have increased its prominence for being the premier shopping destination back home. Or they could have done what Florence's Magnolia Mall did: put in a Best Buy! The only Best Buy in Charleston is the one on Rivers Avenue. How cool would it have been to put a Best Buy into the mall, right next to the food court? Target should be more of an open-air type store...I especially like the renovated one on Garner's Ferry at The Woodmill. Very nice development!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should be easy for Charleston to get a Macy's being that they already have upscale stores such as Saks and Gucci.

I can't believe Charleston only has one Best Buy. Is Rivers Ave. near Ashley Phosphate, because I know I did see a Best Buy near Northwoods Mall.

Yeah that area near Northwoods is the largest concentration of retail in the state, N.Chas has led in retail sales for like 12 years now. Ashley Phosphate connects Rivers Ave/Dorchester Rd.

Macy's would do well near Daniel Island imo, you would be centrally located to Mount Pleasant and N.Chas along with all the future residents of the quickly growing Daniel Island area.

If you can't believe that Charleston only has one best buy, Cities like Greensboro and Winston-Salem only have one still.. But Best Buy could work in a mall, a lot of malls in the northeast/new england have Best Buy as anchor stores. Also true about Charleston already having mega upscale retailers Saks, Gucci, etc... a Macy*s/Parisian would work too.

Would the luxury retailers work at a mall in Charleston though?  Most of the upsacle stores are in the King Street area downtown. (Shout out to Ben Silver, one of the coolest stores I know in the city B)  )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it would certainly work at Mt Pleasant Town Center (althoug some don't consider that a mall). But also think it could fly at Citadel or Northwoods.

^ I've only been to Citadel.  Are Northwoods and Mt Pleasant Town Center comparable in terms of being upscale?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say Citadel and Northwoods are comparable. They are owned by the same company and Northwoods is currently being "upddated". As far as retailers they are comparable. Mt P Town Center is a little more upscale (having a Starbucks makes you upscale right :) ) But like I said, some don't consider it a "mall". Its has a clustered open air appearance and attempts to mimic and old dowtown shopping ditrict.

You can check it out here

Ok, you can see the map here. What was all that space before? It seems to me that it was a parking deck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Spartan, that space on the map that is now the Verizon call center is actually where the food court used to be. It used to be really nice looking, and there was like an arcade and a record store up there too. It wrapped around to the other side of the mall so you didn't have to walk through Belk. :silly: The food was on the wall that backed up to Belk, and the entire other side of the food court was floor to celing windows, which made for a nice view of the trees & neighborhoods out back behind the mall. For whatever reason the mall wasn't doing very well financially (and still isn't as you know) and so Verizon pretty much saved the mall from going completely kaput.

(off the subject, but...) It's never fully made sense to me why Richland Mall hasn't been as well off as the other malls because there are always hoardes of middle & upper class teenagers that hang out at TGIFridays and the Movie theater. Plus the fact that Forest Acres in general is one of the wealthiest areas in SC, you would think people would be spending their money there. Oh well, whatever. I've seen the designs for the Richland mall re-development, and I'm excited to see what will happen in the years to come.

edit:ok sorry I didn't see that waccamatt already answered this question. I need to read faster!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

JCPenney is not what we wanted to come to Village @ Sandhills, why on earth would anybody want to shop there? They don't even carry Tommy Hilfiger or Nautica! As for Columbia Place....it's sad to see how this mall as changed so much in the past 15 years......it's lost JCPenney, Athlete's Foot, Lenscrafters, GAP, Gadzooks, the candy store that used to be near the food court closed.......and then stores for overweight women, and another dozen batch of shoe stores and urban stores open in the place of the old tenants that were actually worth shopping from.....what i'm seeing is a cousin of Eastland Mall(Charlotte)......

JCPenney is not what we wanted to come to Village @ Sandhills, why on earth would anybody want to shop there? They don't even carry Tommy Hilfiger or Nautica! As for Columbia Place....it's sad to see how this mall as changed so much in the past 15 years......it's lost JCPenney, Athlete's Foot, Lenscrafters, GAP, Gadzooks, the candy store that used to be near the food court closed.......and then stores for overweight women, and another dozen batch of shoe stores and urban stores open in the place of the old tenants that were actually worth shopping from.....what i'm seeing is a cousin of Eastland Mall(Charlotte)......

Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica? Yawn.

Archived