The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica? Yawn.

I don't even buy tommy or nautica.....i didnt mean it that way.......i just meant that JCPenney doesn't even carry the recognizable brands........what would you rather buy........polo jeans or arizona jeans? JCPenney just needs to get with the program...their style was outdated 15 years ago....it seems that every time they get with the program its always too late and then something new gets in style.....I dont even shop in Columbia actually.....i go to SouthPark in Charlotte thanks ;)

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geesh, JCPenney's wasn't meant to cater to a St. John demographic. And there are some cool Arizona pieces you can wear--as a matter of fact, one of my co-workers said she liked a pair of Arizona jeans I bought about 5 or 6 years ago (and they still fit ;) ). They have a rinse/finish to them that I haven't really seen elsewhere. And you can never go wrong with Levi's--it's a classic. I especially like the Silvertab brand. And I think I should know a little something about what's "in style" and what's not; even though, the older you get, the less you actually care about that type of stuff.

Hope you're having fun throwing your money away in Nordstrom when you can get the same items in Belk for half the price. :thumbsup:

Geesh, JCPenney's wasn't meant to cater to a St. John demographic. And there are some cool Arizona pieces you can wear--as a matter of fact, one of my co-workers said she liked a pair of Arizona jeans I bought about 5 or 6 years ago (and they still fit ;) ). They have a rinse/finish to them that I haven't really seen elsewhere. And you can never go wrong with Levi's--it's a classic. I especially like the Silvertab brand. And I think I should know a little something about what's "in style" and what's not; even though, the older you get, the less you actually care about that type of stuff.

Hope you're having fun throwing your money away in Nordstrom when you can get the same items in Belk for half the price. :thumbsup:

I was with you until the last snetence, krazeeboi. I personally love Nordstrom. I'm no fool; I don't blindly buy everything there, but it's a hell of a store. So are Saks and Neiman Marcus.

As far as Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica, I'm a fan but I'm so bored with them. They were huge for so long, and now everyone and his uncle has the stuff, so it's not that cool anymore. All the major department stores are dropping either Hilfiger or Nautica and embracing other brands that are fresher, and that's a good thing.

I'm glad JCPenney does its own thing as well. They provide good value for the money, and though I don't shop there as much as I once did, they're a good store.

Nordstrom doesn't really appeal to me. Some other people say good things about it, but I guess I just don't get it. Then again, I'm no slave to fashion (but I'm not a sloppy dresser either). But I guess since my everyday style is more "urban" (Akademics, Phat Farm, Enyce, Sean John, etc.), it really shouldn't appeal to me. But for my more "buttoned-up" occasions, I like the good brands such as Kenneth Cole, Liz Claiborne, etc. I just don't see the point in paying $85 for a Reaction tie when I can get the same one (or a similar one) in K&G, Ross, or TJ Maxx for $15. But hey, if having those type of upscale stores makes a city more "authentic" in one's eyes, more power to him.

Nordstrom doesn't really appeal to me. Some other people say good things about it, but I guess I just don't get it. Then again, I'm no slave to fashion (but I'm not a sloppy dresser either). But I guess since my everyday style is more "urban" (Akademics, Phat Farm, Enyce, Sean John, etc.), it really shouldn't appeal to me. But for my more "buttoned-up" occasions, I like the good brands such as Kenneth Cole, Liz Claiborne, etc. I just don't see the point in paying $85 for a Reaction tie when I can get the same one (or a similar one) in K&G, Ross, or TJ Maxx for $15. But hey, if having those type of upscale stores makes a city more "authentic" in one's eyes, more power to him.

I've made a commitment to shop in as many locally owned stores as possible. Our little state is one of the poorest in the country and I hate to see so much of our money go elsewhere.

I've made a commitment to shop in as many locally owned stores as possible. Our little state is one of the poorest in the country and I hate to see so much of our money go elsewhere.

South Carolina has a wealth of very nice menswear stores, especially in the major metro areas. They don't really carry the Akademics or Phat Farm that krazeeboi prefers, but they are excellent merchants and should be supported.

Supposedly the JCPenney at the Village at Sandhill won't be "your mother's JCPenney." "The one-level store has more than 98,000 square feet of wider aisles, brighter lighting, a redesigned hair salon, updated accessories and apparel, shopping carts, in-store shopping bags and expanded check-out areas."

Some residents, however, feel that this is an example of retail exiting downtown/midtown areas out into the 'burbs, leaving the in-town residents with fewer local shopping destinations.

The most interesting excerpt:

Columbia resident Tandra Wallace said she wished the company would have opened a second store in Columbia instead of closing the old one.

There are plenty of places in Columbia to buy name brands, Penney's just doesn't prescribe to that market. Frankly, I can't stand Charlotte. If I'm going to look for something I can't find in Columbia I'll buy it online or whenever I'm in New York.

I really like Charlotte. For a big city, it seems to have a pretty high level of income.

Your commitment to Columbia is very admirable. It's Columbia or bust. I personally don't mind throwing financial support to other Carolina cities once in awhile - even ones often considered to be regional competitors. :)

I really like Charlotte. For a big city, it seems to have a pretty high level of income.

Your commitment to Columbia is very admirable. It's Columbia or bust. I personally don't mind throwing financial support to other Carolina cities once in awhile - even ones often considered to be regional competitors. :)

I will spend money elsewhere in South Carolina, but I won't go out of my way to spend it out of state. By that, I mean I shop at chain stores only when necessary. Because we live in such a poor state I prefer to spend my money with locally owned businesses whenever possible, so that the money stays at home.

One of the reasons I liked Columbia was that its extremely inconvenient walkmarts helped to wane me from them. I used to make the 20 minute trips out to West Cola, Ft Jackson, or Harbison to go to them, but that got old in a hurry. I now live 5 or 6 minutes from one and I have only been once. Its great :)

Imagine if the billions of dollars South Carolinians spent at companies owned out of state was cut in half and that half was spent at locally owned businesses. In 10 years we would go from the 2nd poorest state to somewhere in the middle.

Maybe alot of people don't like the things that locally owned businesses have......Although i must admit Luna in 5 points is very impressive, and Cobalt on main st. Luna is Columbia based and has stores in Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Bethesda, MD.....

Imagine if the billions of dollars South Carolinians spent at companies owned out of state was cut in half and that half was spent at locally owned businesses. In 10 years we would go from the 2nd poorest state to somewhere in the middle.

That's a wonderful dream! I have not been in a Wal-Mart in over a year, and not bought anything there beyond that. Up here, I've noticed that the poorer people are most of the ones you see shopping there anymore.

That's a wonderful dream! I have not been in a Wal-Mart in over a year, and not bought anything there beyond that. Up here, I've noticed that the poorer people are most of the ones you see shopping there anymore.

I think columbia needs to step there fashion game up a little, to be the biggest metropolitian area in south carolina, i don't understand how were always the last to get something, as far a fashion. charleston has had a gucci store for years and other fashionable stores. columbia depends on other cities too much. don't get me wrong it's nothing wrong with going to Charlotte to shop, cause it's only a 1hr and 15mins at the most. but at some point s.c. as a whole need to stop putting ourselfs last.the problem at hand is the money is not really being generated as other national exposed cities, the reason they can afford so many high scale stores, because of the foot ball, and basket ball franchise teams in these areas. Because if no one else in charlotte can afford upscale stores prices the, the players on these teams can. but when the people of columbia do get high fashion stores, for some odd reason we don't won't to shop there , prime example of Oxford in Richland Fashion Mall. I think the village was a perfect ideal, but it doesn't need a JC Penny's, i know they were probally trying to fill in the vacancy. But i personally think that the North East side can afford a high fashionable store.

I think columbia needs to step there fashion game up a little, to be the biggest metropolitian area in south carolina, i don't understand how were always the last to get something, as far a fashion. charleston has had a gucci store for years and other fashionable stores. columbia depends on other cities too much. don't get me wrong it's nothing wrong with going to Charlotte to shop, cause it's only a 1hr and 15mins at the most. but at some point s.c. as a whole need to stop putting ourselfs last.the problem at hand is the money is not really being generated as other national exposed cities, the reason they can afford so many high scale stores, because of the foot ball, and basket ball franchise teams in these areas. Because if no one else in charlotte can afford upscale stores prices the, the players on these teams can. but when the people of columbia do get high fashion stores, for some odd reason we don't won't to shop there , prime example of Oxford in Richland Fashion Mall. I think the village was a perfect ideal, but it doesn't need a JC Penny's, i know they were probally trying to fill in the vacancy. But i personally think that the North East side can afford a high fashionable store.

AMEN TO THAT! :thumbsup:

(Some examples of stores that Greenville and/or Charleston has had before Columbia got them)>>Abercrombie & Fitch, Charlotte Russe, Hollister, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Chico's, Williams-Sonoma, Starbucks........Stores & restaurants that Greenville and/or Charleston have that Columbia still doesn't have: Bebe, Steve Madden, Guess, Nine West, Aeropostale, Wet Seal, Lacoste, On the Border, Costco, Border's Books, Sharper Image, Saks, Gucci, Urban Outfitters, Puma, the list just goes on and on....Columbia come on, get with the program!

Archived