Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

This is the listing for the traffic engineer:

Traffic Engineering

60 Ernest St. 02905

Phone: (401) 781-4044 or 421-7740 ext.319, 320

According to Article IX 2-159 printed copies of the regulations are to be made available to the public. I don't know if they actually have them or not but that can be a start.

Thanks so much chaz, I am going to see if I can't get a copy of the regulation and see if any of us are getting ticketed unjustly. I'll report back when I get a copy of the reg.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The overnight-parking ban was the one thing about Providence that really struck us as weird, when we came to scout the town last summer. ("We" meaning the Mrs. and I, that is.) I went to college in Worcester, and they had a parking ban, but it only applied to one side of the street, and only from November 1 to April 1, or something like that. When I lived in Jamaica Plain, they had "resident" parking, by virtue of residents staking out their parking spaces with chairs and other solid objects (rumor had it that if you moved someone's chairs and parked in their space, you'd find your tires slashed in the morning, but I never tried it). A total ban on overnight parking is overkill -- whose idea was that?

Urb

another reason that we need a new generation in city hall.

as of now, pilot program's scheduled to get off the ground in south prov by start of feb. keeps getting pushed back, but looks like everything's in order now. (and you may have noticed that the signs have started going up.)

low fee; prov registration required; have to be up-to-date on taxes/tickets; renters and prop owners are all eligible.

the phx article from a couple of months ago had it down pretty well.

• 3 months later...

it'll sustain itself -- $25/person/year.

i was actually initially pushing for a higher fee than we're ending up with.

how does it work for renters? does a landlord get a certain number of permits per year? Because i seem to remember that one of the beefs was that landlords could pack more people into apartments and have an unlimited number of tenants or does it follow the zoning math of 1.5 per?

how does it work for renters? does a landlord get a certain number of permits per year? Because i seem to remember that one of the beefs was that landlords could pack more people into apartments and have an unlimited number of tenants or does it follow the zoning math of 1.5 per?

We're starting with allowing up to 2 permits/unit, as I remember. Public feedback's going to be really important -- we'll get some stuff right, and other stuff wrong, which is why we're starting in a neighborhood that's almost wholly supportive, before we move on to other parts of town.

The overnight parking pilot is finally finally starting. There's going to be a meeting on the South Side this week, with the program getting underway in very early April. I'll post the detailed info after the flyers go out to the neighborhood.

Pardon the language, but halle-fudgein-luja! And this took how many years!?!

Any idea how & when this might come to ather areas of the city (say, Federall Hill)?

Also, David, what's the deal with enforcement? How are the cops going to work this out?

Where I used to live, it was the residents' responsibility to get the permit for thier own car- and had to pay an extra nominal fee for more than one vehicle. I think you could have no more than 2 permits per address (apartments were individual addresses). Also, each residence got one visitor pass, which could only be used in a two-block radius of the residence it was associated with. This all worked because it was pretty consistenly enforced. Any idea how these issues are going to be worked out?

I just discovered that UP doesn't let you use the F-word. Seems to me there should be an exception when the topic is parking in Providence.

Pardon the language, but halle-fudgein-luja! And this took how many years!?!

Any idea how & when this might come to ather areas of the city (say, Federall Hill)?

Also, David, what's the deal with enforcement? How are the cops going to work this out?

Where I used to live, it was the residents' responsibility to get the permit for thier own car- and had to pay an extra nominal fee for more than one vehicle. I think you could have no more than 2 permits per address (apartments were individual addresses). Also, each residence got one visitor pass, which could only be used in a two-block radius of the residence it was associated with. This all worked because it was pretty consistenly enforced. Any idea how these issues are going to be worked out?

I just discovered that UP doesn't let you use the F-word. Seems to me there should be an exception when the topic is parking in Providence.

i have friends that live in somerville. i think all residents are allowed to get a parking permit, so long as their name is on the lease. and they get 2 visitor's passes per unit (or maybe it's 1 visitor's pass per permit, which could also be why they have 2 visitor's passes since only 2 live there). i like that way of working it.

I'm about to get my refresher on all this (it's been a few months since I looked at the regs). But because the pilot area is pretty compact, a parking pass will be valid for anywhere within that area.

We haven't devised a formal mechanism for expansion yet, but my hope is that it'll be done democratically -- neighborhoods that want it will be able to petition the city for it.

The neighborhood needs streets wider than 10 feet in order to park cars on it! :silly:

Yeah, but that's for parking at any time of night or day. If a street's too narrow to park at all, I don't imagine this parking program would change anything. Seems to me that most Federal Hill streets are actually pretty wide.

About the program expanding "democratically"- I imagine it will become way more appealing city-wide when people start choosing to live in areas where they a)don't have to pay monthly rental to park , b)can actually park in front of thier residence, and c) can have yards with trees and grass instead of asphalt and cars.

Also, imagine what lot owners will think when they discover that it's more profitable to develop a vacant lot than try to rent it to people who no longer need off-street parking!

Yeah, but that's for parking at any time of night or day. If a street's too narrow to park at all, I don't imagine this parking program would change anything. Seems to me that most Federal Hill streets are actually pretty wide.

About the program expanding "democratically"- I imagine it will become way more appealing city-wide when people start choosing to live in areas where they a)don't have to pay monthly rental to park , b)can actually park in front of thier residence, and c) can have yards with trees and grass instead of asphalt and cars.

Also, imagine what lot owners will think when they discover that it's more profitable to develop a vacant lot than try to rent it to people who no longer need off-street parking!

i agree to a point... but it's still safer to have a driveway or lot to park in than the street.

they need to change certain neighborhoods to permit-only parking all day long, not just overnight. and they could just make it a standard providence resident permit, not one per neighborhood. it'd suck for those who don't live in the city coming to visit, but areas like downtown would allow anyone to park and certain parts of the east side (like on and around thayer and wickenden) and other areas where there's a lot of retail. of course, they could require permits downtown and force everyone else to park in the metered spaces (like on empire) or the garages and lots.

one thing i think would be nice is if they allowed people with permits to park in metered spaces without paying the meters. :)

We're starting with allowing up to 2 permits/unit, as I remember. Public feedback's going to be really important -- we'll get some stuff right, and other stuff wrong, which is why we're starting in a neighborhood that's almost wholly supportive, before we move on to other parts of town.

As a landlord with a driveway thats only 1 car wide, I would be SUPER excited for this to come into being in the Armory. Please oh please oh please.

I am so tired of shuffling cars in and out all the time.

As a landlord with a driveway thats only 1 car wide, I would be SUPER excited for this to come into being in the Armory. Please oh please oh please.

I am so tired of shuffling cars in and out all the time.

I don't want to speak for people on that side of town, but my understanding is that Lombardi's expressed a willingness to give it a go, and the WBNA and local police were interested too.

I don't want to speak for people on that side of town, but my understanding is that Lombardi's expressed a willingness to give it a go, and the WBNA and local police were interested too.

This would be just fantastic. After 10+ years in providence I would love to just once be able to fall alseep on the couch and not have to go downstairs to pull the damn car in before I goto bed :D

Archived