Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, in our driveway. I was exrtremely surprised to hear HP described the way you described it.

Where in HP do you live? South side, north side? I have lived in three houses in HP, and all have had driveways and garages. Almost every single house has a driveway in HP.

I live in a building on Raritan Ave. My friends have a house on the south side with rear parking. Another friend has a shared rear driveway with some other houses on Raritan Ave near Edison. Is that not the norm? I'll have to take a walk through the residential parts of town and investigate.

the nice thing about this is that it'll be relatively easy to figure out if people are into the program or not -- if nobody wants it, nobody will sign up for permits.

if there is, as i believe, a silent (and sometimes vocal) majority of people that thinks this is a good idea, then we'll know it when 400 of them apply for permits in a week or two.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any updates on this? I just had to pay a ticket because I forgot to pull my car in. Grrr.

THe city says the current pilot in Washington Park is going to run until June, 2007 (!!). Then, it will be analyzed and decided if/how/where it will be applied in the rest of the city. I con't believe this stupid thing require this much process. It's f'ing outrageous.

Here's the city website's page about it: http://www.providenceri.com/rpp/faq.php

THe city says the current pilot in Washington Park is going to run until June, 2007 (!!). Then, it will be analyzed and decided if/how/where it will be applied in the rest of the city. I con't believe this stupid thing require this much process. It's f'ing outrageous.

Here's the city website's page about it: http://www.providenceri.com/rpp/faq.php

that is a long time. when did it start? my guess is they want to see how it works during every season... like winter especially.

my guess is they want to see how it works during every season... like winter especially.

That was my thought, how do people respond to a snow induced parking ban? I know in Portland, Maine they open the parking garages and have various lots (some of which aren't usually parking lots) where they direct residents to park. However, those garages in Portland are municipal garages. Parking bans in Portland are seriously strict, an army of tow trucks goes out and removes all vehicles not in compliance, as a result of strict enforcement and reasonable options of where to park, compliance is very high.

Portland also has a large portion of the city which is very suburban in which, the parking ban isn't really an issue, since no one really parks on the street there. It's basically an issue for the penninsula.

That was my thought, how do people respond to a snow induced parking ban? I know in Portland, Maine they open the parking garages and have various lots (some of which aren't usually parking lots) where they direct residents to park. However, those garages in Portland are municipal garages. Parking bans in Portland are seriously strict, an army of tow trucks goes out and removes all vehicles not in compliance, as a result of strict enforcement and reasonable options of where to park, compliance is very high.

Portland also has a large portion of the city which is very suburban in which, the parking ban isn't really an issue, since no one really parks on the street there. It's basically an issue for the penninsula.

i think they'll end up having to do one side parking or something. the problem is that a lot of the streets are very narrow and even having a car on one side makes it difficult. i know in manchester when they have snow (or maybe year round), you can only park on one side of the street at a time (might change on a daily basis or something).

I believe Boston does rolling parking bans as needed. During a heavy snow, parking is banned on snow emergency routes (which are signed, but not very well), the side streets usually still have cars parked on them. If needed, they will put temporary signs on other streets notifying people of a ban on that street (usually for the next day) then clear the street during that temporary ban.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that the pilot's going pretty well, but there aren't a ton of people signed up. Like maybe 100. The big problem seems to be that people without permits aren't getting tagged enough. We decided to let it run until June so we could sort out the snow issues, and so that it didn't become a hyper-politicized election issue.

It's really important that the pilot succeed, and that any expansion be smooth, as there's a vocal minority of (well-heeled) folks who'd really like to see this fail.

People are so stupid. What is this fear of parking on the street? I live in the same building as a hair salon in Pawtucket, on a street with one side on-street parking, yet everyday when I come home from work, the five space lot next to me (in which I have one designated spot) is jammed with like 7 cars, blocking me out and everyone else in. Yet, there's a whole curb of empty spaces on the street. What do people think is going to happen to their precious cars?

So if people don't even want to park on the street during the daytime, I have a feeling it will be quite a sh!t show trying to allow it overnight.

I've heard that the pilot's going pretty well, but there aren't a ton of people signed up. Like maybe 100. The big problem seems to be that people without permits aren't getting tagged enough. We decided to let it run until June so we could sort out the snow issues, and so that it didn't become a hyper-politicized election issue.

It's really important that the pilot succeed, and that any expansion be smooth, as there's a vocal minority of (well-heeled) folks who'd really like to see this fail.

why isn't this being run along side the police efforts to ticket offenders? that's the only way it will work. if there's no enforcement and people can park overnight for free, why pay the $25 for a permit?

i say have teh police concentrate their street parking ticketing in this area so that it makes people realize taht they need to pay for a permit.

People are so stupid. What is this fear of parking on the street? I live in the same building as a hair salon in Pawtucket, on a street with one side on-street parking, yet everyday when I come home from work, the five space lot next to me (in which I have one designated spot) is jammed with like 7 cars, blocking me out and everyone else in. Yet, there's a whole curb of empty spaces on the street. What do people think is going to happen to their precious cars?

So if people don't even want to park on the street during the daytime, I have a feeling it will be quite a sh!t show trying to allow it overnight.

the idiot that lives below me has rights to our driveway. on occasion, i'll pull into it if i'm loading a lot of stuff into my car and there's a car parked across the street from mine (even though there's a fire hydrant across the street) so i don't have to walk down the street to load up my car. if she comes home she asks me to move it because "i don't have collision and i don't want anything happening to it". my car is always on the street and it's never gotten a single dent from it. whens he does park on the street, she parks half on the sidewalk.

i wish they would lift the ban simply so that i can park on the street overnight and not screw up my suspension and alignment anymore driving up the curb to park on the grassy lot next to my landlady's house.

Cars aren't getting ticketed? I live in Fox Point and no matter what night of the week it is, if we're parked in the road, we get a ticket. God, I hope the overnight ban gets pulled. My neighborhood is a sea of parking lots. In regards to the vocal minority - their objections to lifting the ban are listed on the College Hill Neighborhood Association's website.

my one fear about lifting the parking ban is that it will not result in more green space, it will just result in more cars. I think the lifting of the ban and the issuing of permits should also come with a decree that in order to get a permit or a few permits, that the homeowner has to return a percentage of asphalt back to green. Otherwise we're still goign to have scumbag landlords who have paved their entire lot, fill it with cars and then fill the street with cars as well. There's a house down the street from me that is a three family, three bedrooms each floor but he landlord only provides 3 parking spaces in an adjacent lot. If there was onstreet parking, there could be as many as 6 cars now on that street plus the three in the lot, which would, in effect, park up almost the entire block for one house.

I think that is what people are worried about and I add the green space component. I also think it will make it a little harder for me to get trees in the ground, having to work around cars that aren't moved by 8 am, but certainly not impossible.

I think the impact on the amount of green space will be very slow. It's not like everyone is going to tear up the asphalt the day the ban is lifted, it may be 10-15 years before a really significant difference is seen. But lifting the ban will mean, for example, that a new homeowner could decide to create a yard where before, there was none.

To speed things up, I think the city needs to figure out (and enforce) a carrot/stick system to entice folks to rip up pavement. Maybe a homeowner's tax credit the year the pavement is removed, and/or small grants for planting trees & gardens? Maybe raising the tax rate for properties with less than x percentage of green space? Certainly taxing surface lots at a much higher rate than residential properties, and fining people for creating more pavement.

my one fear about lifting the parking ban is that it will not result in more green space, it will just result in more cars...

If there was onstreet parking, there could be as many as 6 cars now on that street plus the three in the lot, which would, in effect, park up almost the entire block for one house.

I think that is what people are worried about...

That is precisely what I'm worried about, and is one of the reasons I'm ambiguous on this issue. There are neighborhoods in Boston I've seen that don't look much different from Providence neighborhoods (cars jammed in everywhere possible), plus cars on the street.

The situation is now what it is, and unless permit granting is accompanied by some serious requirements regarding green space conversion and lot usage, I don't think we'll see a single thing change except more cars...

- Garris

...I don't think we'll see a single thing change except more cars...

I'm not sure I understand this concern. Where are all of these extra cars now? Or are you saying that people will buy more cars only because they don't have a place to park them now?

- Michael Csollany

I'm not sure I understand this concern. Where are all of these extra cars now? Or are you saying that people will buy more cars only because they don't have a place to park them now?

I'm not sure how big an issue that would be, but Urbie did mention he was selling his truck before moving back east because he would not have a place to park it at his apartment in Providence.

Archived