Proposed ICC?

DCjedi7

Do you all agree with the Inter County Connector? basically I think it's going to be a new outter Beltway, I mean they already started building a (county connector) in Fairfax county in Va all they have to do is line it up with 301 and make 301 the outter beltway and bridge it across the Southern Potomac to meet with Fairfax county and then upper Potomac river to I-370 in Gaithersburg MD. take a look at the sites

http://www.iccstudy.org/

http://www.nbc4.com/news/4245871/detail.html

Montgomery Council Approves ICC

Governor Wants Construction To Start Next Year

POSTED: 10:13 am EST March 2, 2005

UPDATED: 11:52 am EST March 2, 2005

In a 6-3 vote, the Montgomery County Council has approved the proposed east-west intercounty connector Tuesday.

However the 40-year debate on the 18-mile highway is far from over.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued a letter last week objecting to the road's impact on streams, wetlands and forests.

The EPA said other routes that the council has already rejected would cause less damage.

Council members told The Washington Post that they weren't fazed by the EPA's resistance. But environmental advocates say the EPA's objections could make it harder for Gov. Robert Ehrlich to obtain the necessary federal permits to begin construction.

The governor has promised to begin building the highway next year.

• 6 months later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you all agree with the Inter County Connector?

I live in Rockville now, and YES, I agree the ICC is way overdue. I had to commute from Olney for a while, and it was absolute hell with all those one lane roads and people taking shortcuts through residential communities. Yes, a few people are going to lose their homes in the process of building the road, but it's not like they couldn't see it coming.

The environmentalists in Maryland are always the ones holding up major road projects like this, and that's one reason we have such terrible traffic problems here. I am so glad Erlich is governor because he sees the need and will not allow a few activists to derail the ICC for another decade. Not that I have any feelings about it. :)

Next up, new road and bridge connecting Montgomery Co. to Tysons.

• 1 month later...

Archived