Say goodbye to SouthTrust

Spartan

The blue SouthTrust name will be extinguished in June.

Wachovia Corp., which bought SouthTrust Corp. in June, is closing three Columbia branches. Among the branches to close is the 1201 Main St. office in Capitol Center.

It is unclear whose name might replace SouthTrust on the facade.

Wachovia already has workers in two other downtown buildings, one with the company

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious to know who has been looking and who will replace ST. I guess the name isn't that important, but it is one of the most visible features of that building. Does anyone know what tenants are in ST now and how many floors they take up?

The fact that Wachovia has two other locations downtown indicates to me that they should change up their location and consilidate into one building. Maybe not ST, but it makes no sense to me to have multiple locations. I know this is wishful thinking, but they need to build another office tower :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AT&T used to be the prime tenants for that building, right? Another law firm might decide to take up the majority of space in that tower just like one did down the street in the black tower that used to house NationsBank. I could see a cellular phone company making the ST building their new HQ, as well.

The fact that Wachovia has two other locations downtown indicates to me that they should change up their location and consilidate into one building. Maybe not ST, but it makes no sense to me to have multiple locations. I know this is wishful thinking, but they need to build another office tower :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So now Columbia will have two Wachovia buildings and two Bank of America buildings (I'm speaking of the Wilbur Smith building if I'm correct).

It really doesn't make sense to have two Wachovia buildings within a couple of blocks from each other. Why don't they just build a 40 or 50 story tower?

1987: Opened as the AT&T Building

1997: Renamed for Affinity, a technology company

2001: Renamed for SouthTrust

The State

The Bank of America in the Wilbur Smith Tower as far as I can tell is just another branch office (albiet an extremly nice one). I think that Bank of America Plaza is where their main offices are. I would be interested to know some occupancy info if anyone has access to that.

The other Wachovia buliding is the old First Union buliding (the 10 story blue one). I don't think they actually occupy all of both buildings. They may actually own the Wachovia and First Union buildings. Didn't we have a discussion on this a while back? I'll see if I can dig some stuff up later on.

So now Columbia will have two Wachovia buildings and two Bank of America buildings (I'm speaking of the Wilbur Smith building if I'm correct).

It really doesn't make sense to have two Wachovia buildings within a couple of blocks from each other. Why don't they just build a 40 or 50 story tower?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is my theory on the subject.

Its not really about office space, it would make sense to combine it. It is all about image and advertising. Many people don't know that the banks don't own those buildings (I am generelizing, I don't know who owns those in Columbia), it makes the banks look like they have lots of assests when their names are on buildings all over the place. In turn they are hoping that this turns in to more customers be getting people to think they are more stable or just the plain fact that they are the biggest dog in town.

In many cases that is true. But one exception is First Citizens... they will own their building as I understand it. I have heard that Wachovia acutally owns one of those buildings, but I am not sure which, or even if that is true.

I heard. So in the past I think 12 years it's been AT&T, Affinity, SouthTrust, and now something new. Put something cool up there, something bright as hell, brighter than the old Qwest, I want to see it from space. Oh, and make it boobies, like in Vice City.

Archived