Taylors' Incorporation could be immenient

vicupstate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not too hard to see all of these cities with 40-60,000 population around 2020:

Greenville

Spartanburg

Anderson

Greer

Taylors

Easley

plus possibly:

Mauldin

Simpsonville

and if it incorporated:

Berea

Boiling Springs??

Piedmont??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are some population stats from the Census 2000, and where I predict they will be by 2020 in parenthesis. I broke them into tiers that stood out to me. Notice the cluser of Greenville suburbs

Greenville 56,002 (58,000)

Spartanburg 39,673 (41,000)

Anderson 25,514 (28,000)

Greenwood 22,071 (24,000)

Easley 17,754 (21,500)

Greer 16,843 (22,000)

Mauldin 15,224 (18,000)

Simpsonville 14,352 (19,000)

Gaffney 12,968 (13,300)

Union 8,793 (8,500)

Fountain Inn 6,017 (9,100)

(CDP=Census Defined Place- not restriced by corporate limits)

Taylors CDP 20,125 (25,000)

Berea CDP 14,158 (18,000)

Boiling Springs CDP 4,544 (8,000)

Piedmont CDP 4,684 (8000)

Here is a map of all the cities and CDP's in the GSA area:

Upstate_Cities_L.png

Grey is urban area. Colors are cities and CDP's.

It could get cluttered if too many incorporated ;)

Thanks for posting the map, it's helpful.

I agree with your first four estimates, but the next four seem low to me. Greer was the fastest growing city in the last census estimate I believe (or maybe it was the previous year). Easley and Greer are annexing pretty steady. Greer has annexed a lot of vacant land that will develope in the next 15 years. It's population should rise pretty consistently, even if it's slows or stops annexing.

Also, I thought that I read that Taylors PSD was about 30,000 currently.

Thanks for posting the map, it's helpful.

Also, I thought that I read that Taylors PSD was about 30,000 currently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem. If anyone has any other map requests just let me know.

Taylors PSD may well ahve that many. The CDP obvioulsy doesn't conform to the PSD lines.

The city of Greer thinks that the last census numbers are off.  They think that there are over 20,000 already.  The thought is that the census came up low because there are thousands of illegals in Greer.  Greer will be much larger than 22,000 by 2020.

Click Here for Official Numbers and estimates from the Greer Development Corp.

population.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are thousands of illegals in every city. :)

How about maps of the Sumter and Rock Hill city limits?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I see that I have been beaten to the task though. I won't have access to my GIS this weekend, so anything I do will have to wait until next week.

Thanks Teshadoh!

It looks like Rock Hill has expanded it's city limits quite a bit in the last few years. And they don't even have the Local Option Sales Tax to make annexation easier. I also count about 11 donut holes. Not as many as Charleston, but still quite a few.

Rock Hill is right up there with Greer as far as being oddly shaped, donut-holed, and octopus-like in the shape of its city limits.

Does anyone know the population of the Sumter Urban Area?

Not to be rude - but seriously, you can find the urban area population by googling 'census urban area' & maybe add 'Sumter'.

I remember Rock Hill's first big donut hole (which was much wider then) was created in the mid 80's when the city annexed land along Herlong Rd in anticipation of future development . This connected Ebenezer to Hwy 5 near Northwestern Hi. So the city later tried to annex the rest of the land along with everything south of Celenese but that was killed. But it does look like the city has annexed at least half of the remaining land in that donut hole.

But now the city has a massive donut hole to the southeast - which I don't know much about except their is a new high school & a business park the city built.

This is what I found- it sounds right to me, but I have the definitive numbers on my computer, which I don't have access too at the moment. If this isn't right I will make a note of it.

Sumter UA (2000) 85,708

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The County population is about 102,000, so that number seems high. From one thing I saw, it appeared to be in the 55,000-60,000 range.

I think 85k sounds very reasonable - what else is there in Sumter County?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing. In Sumter, most of the people live in and around the city. The County's population is sparse at best. This is why they have a school district for the city, and another that is shaped like a donut around the city. Its an unusual place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Taylors wants quick vote on incorporation

Having used the James Island budget (where the L.O.S.T. is already in place)as a template for the Taylors budget, shows that the group pushing this is pretty naive. Hopefully the lack of clarity on the impact of incorporatoin (ie taxes) will help defeat the effort to incorporate.

Taylors wants quick vote on incorporation

Having used the James Island budget (where the L.O.S.T. is already in place)as a template for the Taylors budget, shows that the group pushing this is pretty naive.  Hopefully the lack of clarity on the impact of incorporatoin (ie taxes) will help defeat the effort to incorporate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be very unfortunate should Taylors's vote for incorporation becomes unsuccessful. Keep in mind this is not like James Island. This is Taylors we are speaking of. Most of the residents here are highly optimistic and supportive of Taylors incorporating itself. Yes, taxes may be an issue, but it is best to keep those tax dollars inside Taylors than sending it over to the Cities of Greenville and/or Greer.

Greenville is really an extreme case of a drastically suppressed municipal boundary, even for SC. In some ways, I agree with the city's recent focus on revitalizing and building up the existing city proper rather than trying to expand. But I do wonder if the city really does need to expand its boundary at some point. Charleston has seemingly done both during Mayor Riley's tenure. It has revitalized a great part of the upper peninsula and annexed aggressively. While Columbia and Charleston are both two small in terms of their city propers as well, they at least are now both over the 100,000 mark and will probably remain so. Greenville should have that large a city population too. I also am curious why you do not hear serious talk of city-county consolidation in Greenville. I know it has been seriously proposed with Columbia/Richland County and Charleston/Charleston County. I recently realized that Greenville NC (home of Eastern Carolina University) has a larger municipal population now than Greenville SC (even though Greenville SC's UA population is around four times as large as Greenville NC's UA population). I think the difference in the two cities is something like 67,000 for the NC city and 56,000 for the SC city. While I do not want to make too much of municipal boundaries, it does matter in that a larger city has more resources to make improvements, control the area's planning and development, etc. I think Greenville needs to at some point figure out a way to grow its city proper, and the incorporation of Taylors does NOT help.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Taylors, and I think that this is a very bad idea. It seems to be a real knee-jerk reaction to Greer's annexation of commercial properties.

Greer has no real need to annex existing residential properties, because they cost more to service than the tax revenues bring in. The only reason Greer is annexing anything residential is because it is required for sewer service by the CPW.

If the incorporation does happen, I might just have a home for sale.

• 1 month later...

Taylors votes on Tuesday.

• "Boundaries of the city would follow those of the Taylors Sewer and Fire District. Those eligible to vote are those who pay taxes to the district for sewer and fire services."

• "The Taylors incorporation movement would be grandfathered into a previous law that doesn't mandate a list of city services..."

This means that Taylors is somehow exempt from the law that James Island (in Charleston) is being put to. That just doesn't makes sense to me. Taylors should fall in the same category as James Island, and it should be subject to the same requirements. However, I think that this town is more justified that James Island since it wont be "gerrymandered" so to speak, into existance.

Here is the source article.

Archived