Taylors' Incorporation could be immenient

vicupstate

The new law took affect July 1. Taylors submitted its petitions before then. James Island did not begin seeking signatures unitil July 1, so that the incorporation would be covered by the new law. The changes in the law were necessary for James Island to legally (so it thinks) incorporate.

Does anyone in the forum live in Taylors? Does anyone have a "feel" for how the vote is going to go? I may sit in on the meeting on Monday to hear the sheriff's input.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Taylors, and I am against the incorporation. It all about underqualified people who don't like paying taxes and who want to be in charge. Thats kind of like me being elected mayor of Atlanta. In no way am I qualified to be a mayor of any city, with the only exception maybe Greer, because I have a hunch that I am slighty less corrupt than the current administration.

I don't live in Taylors, But I live Greenville. My question is this. Was talk of incorporation ever talked about before the greer thing came up. Because IMO

I see it as a way for the fire and sewer districts to stay in charge. The same

thing came a year or so ago with the Wade Hampton and Parker Districts and

Greenvlle. But the issue that time was water instead of sewage. AND BTW how

did that turn out. What was the judgemment? It had to come out in greer's

favor. To tell you the truth some of these districts have out lived their useful-

ness. Because they were for people who live in the,back then, country. But

know that the cities are growing into these areas and they, the people in those

district, start enjoying the perks of those cities. Why shouldn't they be in them.

No matter if it is Greenville, Greer, or where ever.

Watching this "movement" for suburban incorporation in SC with James Island, Taylors, and now Boiling Springs, as well as in Fulton County GA where I live (Sandy Springs and maybe two more to come), I am really rather amazed by it all. The suburbs are so anti-tax and anti-government in theory, yet they are voting a new layer of government into existence with inevitably higher taxes and duplication of governmental administrative structures (as opposed to annexing into an existing city). It is really weird to me. This is where NC cities are so lucky with the state's supportive annexation laws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to the meeting tonight on Taylors' incorporation to guage sentiment, and the same thing struck me. Taylors is anti-tax, but when given plenty of information that taxes could rise significantly with incorporation, the attitude seems to be "taxes always go up anyway". The majority of the folks in attendance seem to favor it. The crowd was overflowing. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think it will pass, but I certainly hope not.

I was at the meeting tonight, and besides those on the Greer payroll, there seems to be a lot of support in favor of incorporation.

I think there's a very good chance it will pass tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

welcome to the forum! Though it may be a bit late for this- what is your opinion of the incorporation?

Taylors defeats incorporation by 2-1

Congratulations to Taylors for seeing through this. There was a "false emergency" created that the PSD was in danger of being totally annexed. Greer has only annexed commercial property that sought it.

The yes votes were about half of the total number of signatures obtained on the petitions. Obviously many signers either changed their minds or signed merely to have the matter brought forward. All future incorporations will come under the recent revisions to the state law.

Another vote can't be taken for two years, so it will be interesting to see if Greer continues to annex commercial property during that time. I expect there will continue to be some vacant commercial property annexed, but not a large amount. Even so, Greer will probably let things "cool-off" a bit for the moment.

It is very unforutanate Taylors fell to its fears than rise to its hopes.

Even though this was the first time incorporation was voted on, the next two years should really be vital to the future of Taylors. A more realistic budget should be unveiled months in advance and which services to provide.

As for Greer, they are not limited to annexing westward to Taylors. There is growth on the Spartanburg County side down SC 101. I do not know how far theri city limits go, but I assume it is not past SC 80 yet.

What I don't understand about the service districts is why do we need them still. Our sewage still goes to the same place, our water comes from the same place, and we all breathe the same air. The only thing that I see different iis the fact that each district is in a different zip code. Isn't Greenville County EMS non-district? It's countywide. It's what I never understood was that growing up I lived across from Eastside Fire Dept, but in the county. The few times there was an emergency, it literally took 10 -15 minutes because of bickering between city and Wade Hampton and Taylors. And all three have shown up when a relative had a heart attack. I guess what I am getting at is lets eliminate PSD's, and make it Greenville County Fire Resuce, tying in EMS and Dept of Public Safety. Then we can try and get the message out to the common people that it would be good for the City of Greenville to annex them. The only downfall would be that PSD fire chief's and others that are in charge would no longer be in charge. Now that I think about it, that really wouldn't be a downfall.

What I don't understand about the service districts is why do we need them still. Our sewage still goes to the same place, our water comes from the same place, and we all breathe the same air. The only thing that I see different iis the fact that each district is in a different zip code. Isn't Greenville County EMS non-district? It's countywide. It's what I never understood was that growing up I lived across from Eastside Fire Dept, but in the county. The few times there was an emergency, it literally took 10 -15 minutes because of bickering between city and Wade Hampton and Taylors. And all three have shown up when a relative had a heart attack. I guess what I am getting at is lets eliminate PSD's, and make it Greenville County Fire Resuce, tying in EMS and Dept of Public Safety. Then we can try and get the message out to the common people that it would be good for the City of Greenville to annex them. The only downfall would be that PSD fire chief's and others that are in charge would no longer be in charge. Now that I think about it, that really wouldn't be a downfall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that is what I have been saying. :thumbsup:

With water and sewer you have districts set up like that for taxing and rates. While you do get the water form the same place, it doesn't go to the same place.

For example, people the Spartanburg Water System (SWS) supplies water to most of Spartanburg County, but the people in the Spartanburg water district pay a different rate than those in the Startex-Jackson-Wellford-Duncan Water District, even though the source is the same (Lake Bowen and Lake Blalock).

It is a very similar set up with the sewer system.

They amount to what is sesentially a service-providing local taxing body, so the incorporation is just one step further, allowing them to use other tax money that would otherwise go to Greenville County and keep it in the area.

I can understand that the PSD's want more money, and they want their money to stay in their respective districts, but the true purpose of government is for the people, by the people, not a few good old boys with hard ons for power. Again, I'd like to see the consolidation of Greenville County government, with a central fire district, etc. I think that by doing that, just like Greenville County School District, it brings bigger bargaining power and clout to the table when it comes to funding, budget, cuts, and it will overall be better for the people of Greenville county.

My question. Is SC the only state that has this system? And is it the best way to do business? This maybe a subject for another thread. Just my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No and No. I recently read that SC was second in the country in the number of PSDs.

Archived