A scary morning on Tilch for me

rbdetsport

Man arrested in assault on cop

Police say suspect went to officer's home to kill him

March 2, 2005

BY CHRISTY ARBOSCELLO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detectives think they have the man in custody who shot an off-duty Detroit police officer in his Macomb Township home.

Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith said Ronnie L. Anderson, 43, has been charged with shooting Officer Carl Mack on Monday. The warrant lists Anderson's place of residence as Highland Park, but the Sheriff's Office said he lives in Detroit.

"It appears to be a strong case," Smith said, adding most of the evidence is circumstantial.

Smith said there's proof a call was placed from Anderson's cell phone at 6:59 a.m. Monday in Macomb Township, around the time Mack was shot. A ski mask like the one the shooter wore was also found in Anderson's washing machine during a raid on his home, Smith said.

Police focused the investigation on the suspect based on witness accounts. Deputies visited him at work Monday evening in Detroit, raided his home and SUV and found inconsistencies with his statements, Sheriff Mark Hackel said Tuesday.

"We do believe this was the actual person who committed the act," Hackel said.

Detectives are still trying to find out why the man lurked outside Mack's upscale Macomb Township home near 22 Mile and Tilch roads on Monday morning. The incident was not thought to be an attempted robbery.

When Mack opened his garage door around 7 a.m., the shooter fired three bullets with a semiautomatic at close range, hitting Mack's hand and leg and grazing his head. The gunman then ran from the garage.

Mack was in good condition Tuesday after surgery at St. Joseph's Mercy-West Hospital in Clinton Township, authorities said.

"We think these individuals knew each other," Hackel said. "I can only tell you that I don't believe it to be anything" related to Mack's police work.

"I don't believe he went there to scare him. We do believe he was there trying to take this individual's life," he said.

The Sheriff's Office has provided security for Mack at the hospital and is expected to guard his home once he's released.

The warrant is to cite four charges -- attempted murder, home invasion, assault with intent to commit great bodily harm less than murder and felony firearm use. The charges carry a total penalty of life imprisonment upon conviction. An arraignment is set for 8:30 a.m. today in 41A District Court in Shelby Township.

Mack is a six-year employee of the Detroit Police Department. He works in the 9th (Gratiot) Precinct.

Contact CHRISTY OYAMA-ARBOSCELLO at 586-469-8085 or [email protected].

Is 8 mile moving north?????

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This incident is unfortunate. However, the idea that Detroit is causing crime way out on 22 Mile is ludicrous. Detroit's crime rate has nothing to do with the crime rate in the suburbs. People seem to think that crime in the suburbs is caused by the city. I am reminded of an article a couple of months ago where a woman from Sterling Heights thought that the crime has followed her right out of the city. :lol: Crime happens in the suburbs too, even though some of Detroit's suburbs are considered to be among the safest cities in the country.

Archived