Sprawl, sprawl... I WANT MORE

JunktionFET

Lowes Foods targets an I-485 interchange

J. Lee Howard

Senior staff writer

The Interstate 485 outerbelt is again demonstrating its ability to attract development, with JDH Capital planning to build an $18.5 million retail center at the Idlewild Road interchange.

The 123,000-square-foot development, called Idlewild Market, will be anchored by a Lowes Foods supermarket and Eckerd pharmacy. Construction is scheduled to start in January.

Lowes Foods Stores Inc. is planning a 51,000-square-foot store, and the Eckerd store will probably measure about 14,000 square feet, says Dave Hill, a partner in JDH with Jim hagen and Gary Davies.

In addition to the anchors, the center will include space for a range of retail shops and restaurants, along with two outparcels suitable for a bank or other free-standing use, Hill says.

He declines to identify potential tenants.

Space is being made available for lease in units of 1,200 to 30,000 square feet. Lease rates have not determined.

The two outparcels, each measuring 1.3 acres, are being marketed for sale. JDH is seeking $850,000 for one and $650,000 for the other.

Hill expects the development will prove appealing for a mix of businesses such as office-supply stores, toy retailers, furniture stores, apparel and gift shops, as well as restaurants and gourmet coffeehouses.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../20/story2.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$40M center planned on Monroe Bypass

Ken Elkins

Staff writer

A Charlotte developer is planning a $40 million retail and office complex that will be one of the first developments on the long-proposed new Monroe Bypass.

US Land Investments, developer of the Stonebridge Golf Course near Mineral Springs and several other Carolinas commercial and residential projects, wants to complete the first phase of the 200,000-square-foot center by April.

That's well before most work on the $560 million bypass is scheduled to begin.

But Stephen Rosenburgh, US Land president, says it isn't too soon to plan for development on a highway that's expected to become a busy route for Charlotteans heading to the Carolinas' beaches.

"Once construction starts, we would probably say, 'Why didn't we do this last summer?' " he says. "This makes it the first and only major development for a while along that road."

The development, dubbed Union Commons, is slated to eventually feature a 120-room hotel, a supermarket and perhaps a big-box, home-improvement center.

Other components at the 30-acre site are to include offices and highway-commercial development, such as a gasoline station.

Gaspar Convenient Store, a convenience store and car wash, will be the first tenant. Plans call for that business to open in the spring.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../20/story1.html

Damn, this mornings biz journal (print edition) reports that 2 14 story towers are proposed for BALLANTYNE, ugghhh!!! They're mixed use with ground level retail, parking, office, condos on top. They want to sell 800 sq ft condos way out there for 350,000!!!!

The problem with Ballantyne is the way in which it was developed--it embodies the latest and greatest in sprawl technologies of the late 80s through the 90s.

But really, it is a very attractive area... Very few, if any, exposed power lines, nicely trimmed grass/trees/shrubs, even the shopping centers are very neat and clean. The office buildings present in that area look nice. Though there are some "normal" neighborhoods in that area, there are also some very upscale looking places...

Driving around there late at night (as I have done) is actually pleasant since traffic is greatly reduced during those hours.

Too bad Charlotte adopted its R4 zoning after much of Ballantyne had been built.

Really? Well then, they know how to leave a signature, don't they? :D

I agree it is very office park-ish, and it would not be a place where I would want to live. If I were to buy a house in Charlotte, I would save my capital for a place in Elizabeth, Chantilly, or perhaps a step up to Myers Park or Dilworth (gasp).

There's something about those old homes, the grid layout of the streets, the smells from the old trees in summer, the proximity of everything including Uptown... It's just great! If I needed to visit a mall, South Park Mall isn't too far away from those places.

I'd hate the drive down to Carolina Place. I wish the LRT would go there, like it was originally planned. I would have gladly parked at the nearest station (or perhaps walked there if I lived close enough), and just taken the train down to that mall if I just had to go there, especially during the peak of holiday traffic.

Maybe Eastland will be redeveloped into something really nice, I could handle that trip by car, and certainly by train/streetcar.

Archived