500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

Didn’t they say it was basically falling apart on its own? Smh.

It has sustained extensive water damage since it was last occupied in the early 90s. Basically falling apart... no. The facade was definitely falling off though.

That said... The roof was actually built for people to be able to test drive cars on top of.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

That’s understandable, but the facade wasn’t totally beyond repair was it? I feel like they could have preserved it if they had really wanted to, and using it would have made their apartments more desirable.

Preaching to the choir. Commercial development is a capitalist enterprise, not enough people willing to get hosed just to preserve a building, unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

That’s understandable, but the facade wasn’t totally beyond repair was it? I feel like they could have preserved it if they had really wanted to, and using it would have made their apartments more desirable.

There is always a way when there is a will. Charlotte political/business culture is just not there (unless you are David Furman, as I understand it)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

There is always a way when there is a will. Charlotte political/business culture is just not there (unless you are David Furman, as I understand it)

Not so. Theres plenty of people in Charlotte that I think have the will to save this building. Just sort of hard to compete with the owner, Northwood Ravin, who's parent company holds $5.6B worth of assets.

Edited by Guest

On 2/7/2019 at 7:40 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I know they want to find some way to incorporate some sort of element of the building. At least thats what I was told a year or so ago.

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

A6B16221-AA11-440D-9047-DBD151622FD2.jpeg

The cynic in me says the part they are going to incorporate is only that little cut out that had the year of the building on it LOL....I hope it's more than just that.  I really love the brick work right underneath that top section.

2 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

The cynic in me says the part they are going to incorporate is only that little cut out that had the year of the building on it LOL....I hope it's more than just that.  I really love the brick work right underneath that top section.

Judging by the method in which they are tearing this sucker down, they ain't saving anything of significance, so you are probably correct.

TBH I do believe if this was in better shape it would have been beautiful if it got new windows, a fresh pressure wash, converted the space into creative  office space or lofts, with some nicely placed ground floor retail.

This building below in Charleston is older I believe and saved and converted into the Dewberry Hotel, though I hate how it turned out. Just saying it didn't go to waste. 

Related image

Edited by j-man

26 minutes ago, j-man said:

TBH I do believe if this was in better shape it would have been beautiful if it got new windows, a fresh pressure wash, converted the space into creative  office space or lofts, with some nicely placed ground floor retail.

This building below in Charleston is older I believe and saved and converted into the Dewberry Hotel, though I hate how it turned out. Just saying it didn't go to waste. 

Related image

Well its a pretty freaking great hotel inside, so I don't really know how you can dislike how it turned out.

56 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Well its a pretty freaking great hotel inside, so I don't really know how you can dislike how it turned out.

The inside and addition is great, but  I'm more so talking about the outside. It looks as if they just put a very light coat of white pain on it and not really cover the brick to where you would think .

8 hours ago, j-man said:

The inside and addition is great, but  I'm more so talking about the outside. It looks as if they just put a very light coat of white pain on it and not really cover the brick to where you would think .

You and your white painted brick. SMH :P