UrbanCharlotte

500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

So anyways, is this thread going to have a title change or will the new development be in a new thread

"The Charlotte skyline will be redefined by 500 West Trade, an unmatched lifestyle destination to create the ultimate living experience."  -- Redefined skyline?  That's the overstatement of the 21st century...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The Charlotte skyline will be redefined by 500 West Trade, an unmatched lifestyle destination to create the ultimate living experience."  -- Redefined skyline?  That's the overstatement of the 21st century...

I didn’t write that did I? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

David has a lot of great points but I still just disagree. Shouldn’t have been removed from this earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

So, I surmise that they delayed demolition until they were certain they were ready to build ? 

I suppose that’s something.

45 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Any chance our photoshop wizards could take a crack at presenting those renderings with the Polk Building facade intergrated? 

Well speaking that the facade will be sitting literally 12 feet closer to the street than the current building, might look a little strange haha.

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Just a conceptual piece of what mighta coulda shoulda woulda been :( 

I'll see if I can work it in with photoshopping this duke tower into the skyline haha.

• Like 2

I would have preferred a Polk Hotel & Residences (Ivey Hotel type renovation), then scrap the mid-rise portion of the this new project and just double the height of the proposed tower to 30 stories. It's a double edged sword...hate that Polk building is being torn down, however, I'm glad to see some action along Trade/streetcar/Gatway corridor. If the streetcar is legit, coupled with the potential of gateway station, trade st is a sleeping giant. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 8:54 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

I fear unless we have a grassroots effort to force Levine's hand, ^this will eventually be the red Treolar house in First Ward. 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, CLT2014 said:

We lack a champion with enough passion to organize people for a grassroots movement. This forum has some of the most passionate people about urban development in the city, yet none of us (myself included) tried to organize anything other than talking about it online [which a developer could care less about]. Unfortunately until somebody comes forward to organize a grassroots movement (like NYC had with Amazon), developers will do as they please in Charlotte without public backlash. 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I wrote an article that got 20,000 views about Polk and trying to save it.  That said, it's a little hard to save something from 600 miles away. There actually was someone trying to buy it for a veterans museum and rehabilitation center.

Seems like there's enough interest on UP to lead one. Probably wouldn't take much leadership to get the community at large on board since everyone complains about this stuff all the time.

6 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

It wouldn’t be so bad if it was being built in a surface lot somewhere. What’s bad is that they tore down one of the 7 remaining pre-Depression era buildings in Uptown for it. I guess that number is officially 6 now. I am a pretty forward looking person myself and I think Charlotte shares that spirit, but I also have a strong appreciation for the past and if we are not careful there will be no sign that Charlotte even existed before the ‘80s.

I agree.  It is a shame

• Like 3