500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

HOSTEL!  If the firehouse in uptown is already taken, someone should turn that into Charlotte's first hostel!  

The old firehouse is actually going to be a coffee shop in the near future.

EDIT: Never mind, I read your post wrong!

Edited by ScottCLT

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The I Beams at the Polk Bldg apparently for a more permanent archway over the sidewalk. I asked the construction guys why they didn't just tear it down and they said the would rather, but the city can't decide what to do with the Bldg.

So you're impatient to see a 90yo building torn down vs the 100+ parcels of asphalt and the cars of selfish and cheap commuters?

Better question, why is a steel structure to protect against falling bricks not considered a ridiculous solution rather than just repairing the facade?   Why is there painted stucco that looks terrible not just scraped of the GRANITE facade underneath?

I'm hoping it stays standing long enough for someone to finally have some imagination and incorporate it into a modern project with some tie to the past.   

the cars of selfish and cheap commuters?  

I know this isn't on topic, but I'd really love for you to elaborate on this comment a little. I am a person who works in uptown and drives in from my home, and I park in one of the cheap lots on Graham street. Calling me cheap, I can understand a little I guess. There are decks that are much closer to my office, and even one attached to the building, but they all cost $100 a month or more. The lot I park in now is $50 monthly, which in my opinion is still pretty high, considering that it's full of potholes and fills up like a swimming pool with water when it rains. 

But.. selfish? I would love for you to enlighten me on exactly how this makes me selfish. Is it simply because you don't want to see parking lots from the view of your uptown condo? If that's the case, then I'm sort of wondering who exactly is being selfish here. 

• Like 2

I appreciate your feelings, but it still seems unfair to blame people like me for the situation. If the public transportation system in Charlotte were better, I would gladly stop commuting by car and ride a bus or rail to work each day. And if my only parking options were decks, I would pay for those decks. But the cheap lots are there, and I think it's crazy to pay $100 a month or more just to park my car when I can pay half that much. Just because the demand for cheaper parking exists, doesn't mean that the people who use it asked for a row of historic buildings to be torn down.  

I would love to see the Polk building be re-purposed rather than knocked down. And I'm also all for the preservation of the city's historic character. But don't let that stop you from sweeping me into your broad generalization of commuters as selfish redneck wal-mart shoppers who are too fat to walk. 

Surface parking is -- above all -- a cheap and easy way for hold land for future development.  For the speculator, razing the building immediately lowers the annual property tax bill, and also eliminates maintenance, liability insurance, etc associated with the building.  Management of the lot can easily be outsourced to one of the parking firms operating downtown (incl one owned by our mayor-elect?).  

I was told that until just a couple of years ago city zoning allowed parking as a primary use uptown.  That has changed, but I am sure that the existing surface pay lots are grandfathered-in, and they will probably stay just as they are until the real estate market compels the speculator to sell or develop.  

To blame the existence of those lots on suburban commuters looking to save on parking fees really passes blame unfairly.  The speculator knocked down the historic building, and it's never coming back.  They probably are not overly concerned about making a profit on the parking, and would be happy to just hold the land without significant annual expense.  

The Polk building is dropping bricks, and the state in its total lack of wisdom put stucco over granite making the facade look cheap, and probably did terrible things to the interior as well.  But the building is structurally sound...

Dubone I absolutely agree with your post above and am not challenging it, but I do have a question about the part I quoted and within that quote the part I bolded.  Do you have any proof that the building is structurally sound?   Or does anyone here have proof of that? I ask because I've seen on this board questions/statements of structural issues.   I've also heard from people as well - though my sources are more man on the street kind of thing to be frank; I don't put much stock into them.

Again - I've seen statements that the building is structurally sound and statements that it is not.   Maybe no one here is in a position to actually post anything (publicly) that can move this point beyond speculation but that question does seem to be the heart of the matter. 

For the record I would love to see the building restored.

Edited by Urbanity

Surface parking is -- above all -- a cheap and easy way for hold land for future development.  For the speculator, razing the building immediately lowers the annual property tax bill, and also eliminates maintenance, liability insurance, etc associated with the building.  Management of the lot can easily be outsourced to one of the parking firms operating downtown (incl one owned by our mayor-elect?).  

To blame the existence of those lots on suburban commuters looking to save on parking fees really passes blame unfairly.  The speculator knocked down the historic building, and it's never coming back.  They probably are not overly concerned about making a profit on the parking, and would be happy to just hold the land without significant annual expense.  

I know at the consumer level it is hard to feel in control of the economic system, but without that demand, a lot of those things stop.    It's the same for drugs, processed food, unethically produced clothing, etc.   Obviously this one has FAR less negative social impact compared to those 3 example, but the consumer does implicitly support any number of corrupt systems by rewarding them in the marketplace with their dollars.    If pink slime ammonia nuggets of pulverized chicken nerves and tendons with anti-frothing agents is not a good thing for humans to eat, then stop buying chicken mcnuggets and when enough people stop buying chicken mcnuggets and the company will adjust and realize that this is not a product they can sell.  

If people stopped parking at these surface lots, there would be far fewer reasons for the mayor's and Levine's terrible businesses to continue holding the land away from development.     

What is tough about that is that it takes a culture change where lots and lots of people won't accept something.   It isn't just one dutch person that said stop tearing out blocks of beautiful old buildings for roadway arteries and parking, instead just build a bike path system, it was a lot of dutch people.   So no, it isn't just one person's fault, but it is one person's fault as a part of everyone's fault that we have a culture that accepts vast areas of surface parking.   

I personally do my best to not contribute my consumer dollars to systems that I don't want to exist, even if it means that I spend a bit more.  

• 2 weeks later...

This property is designated as a local historic landmark and receives a 50% property tax abatement annually.  Don't see how they will get permission to demo the second floor, add-on to the building, etc..., as there are interior elements that contribute to its historic significance.   

Looking at the drawings on the site (which are pretty sweet) it seems the leave intact the original building.   I may be wrong, but I don't think local historic landmark designation outright prevents add-ons.

Actually looking at the renderings - I think they do a tremendous job of preserving the original historic building.

Edited by Urbanity

• 1 month later...

^I honestly wonder if that alone may become a sort of reason.  It's a perception issue for the CBD particularly now that it is right by the "family-oriented" minor league ballpark and Romare Bearden Park.  

Could the city use the threat of crime (not actuality of crime, mind you - just the perception of a threat) from an abandoned building as justification to have the building torn down.

I could honestly see that.  I could also honestly see them just turn it into a parking lot too.

^I honestly wonder if that alone may become a sort of reason.  It's a perception issue for the CBD particularly now that it is right by the "family-oriented" minor league ballpark and Romare Bearden Park.  

Could the city use the threat of crime (not actuality of crime, mind you - just the perception of a threat) from an abandoned building as justification to have the building torn down.

I could honestly see that.  I could also honestly see them just turn it into a parking lot too.

Honestly, a lot of people will moan and complain because its "historical" and that nonsense....but the building looks like crap. It's an eyesore and especially with the development of that area once the park is up and running and the apartments in the area the Polk building will just be even worse.

Even if they tear it down for parking (at least be a dang garage) it'll be better than what is there now. The fact that the 'suspect' stole a car in SOUTH charlotte and wound up there....I hardly think it is a coincidence he picks one of the few abandon buildings uptown, crashes into it, and hides out inside. Just seems too coincidental. The building has got to go, or be repurposed......Remind me again, who owns it? and why is it being neglected?