500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facepalm...

So urban residential is bad, except when you tear down a century-old building.  Good values to have...

I am guessing they will be tearing down this concrete structure strong enough to store cars on upper levels in the 1920s on multiple levels for a forgettable stucco with soft pine 2x4 structure.   

Facepalm...

So urban residential is bad, except when you tear down a century-old building.  Good values to have...

I am guessing they will be tearing down this concrete structure strong enough to store cars on upper levels in the 1920s on multiple levels for a forgettable stucco with soft pine 2x4 structure.   

This building has sat vacant and falling apart for however long...it's not a particularly nice looking building, nor does it really create any sense of "history" in the area. Can't tell you how many people (general public people, not urbanites like us) comment on how ugly this building is, with or without the scaffolding. This is not really one I am sad to see go. And for the record I never said urban residential is bad, just have an issue with mid-rise complexes going in super valuable spaces. I wouldn't particularly call this spot too valuable that it can't have residential and ground floor retail.

While I will certainly admit, the history and sheer structural force of this building is pretty awesome, and if they repurpose all the better...just won't be super sad about this one coming down.

Edited by Jayvee

This building has sat vacant and falling apart for however long...it's not a particularly nice looking building, nor does it really create any sense of "history" in the area. Can't tell you how many people (general public people, not urbanites like us) comment on how ugly this building is, with or without the scaffolding. This is not really one I am sad to see go. And for the record I never said urban residential is bad, just have an issue with mid-rise complexes going in super valuable spaces. I wouldn't particularly call this spot too valuable that it can't have residential and ground floor retail.

While I will certainly admit, the history and sheer structural force of this building is pretty awesome, and if they repurpose all the better...just won't be super sad about this one coming down.

It would be nice if they renovated the building, with a brand new facade, and built development on the surrounding parking lot. The building may not be a looker, but it's hard to stomach another century old building coming down.

It would be nice if they renovated the building, with a brand new facade, and built development on the surrounding parking lot. The building may not be a looker, but it's hard to stomach another century old building coming down.

I actually didn't even think of the possibility of them renovating it because of how lazy developers are, how quick they are to not spend on something if they don't have to and because well....Charlotte. But yes that would be REALLY sweet if they renovated, and judging on the use of 6 stories + ground floor retail, that may be the case.

• Like 1

The building used to be great. The State of North Carolina ruined it when it was re-purposed as an office building. Check the base sometime when you walk past. They painted over granite. Yeah, they painted freaking granite!

Don't worry I sent Jayvee this picture... dafed94d70f86daed44d75334f2c5360.jpg

At the rate the developers are going lately, there won't be much land to develop on in center city... Personally, I'd hate to lose this building as well. One of the last buildings from the previous century still around. The problem in Charlotte has always been... well it's over older than my dad, so lets tear it down. 

Here's a building in Downtown DC, although slightly taller, that looks very similar to the Polk building, and what the Polk building could look like if rehabbed properly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.897345,-77.026798,3a,75y,23.02h,106.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTLkakQhKQRhzO0ToNSi-OA!2e0

Assuming it is capable from a structural standpoint of being fixed, any developer who would be willing to tear down such a treasure and replace it with some POS stick-built apartment building...Well, let's just say there are visions of torches and pitch forks in my head.  This type of development is exactly what we do not need.  I hope there is something that can stop this development if the intent is to tear it down. 

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3

Here's a building in Downtown DC, although slightly taller, that looks very similar to the Polk building, and what the Polk building could look like if rehabbed properly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.897345,-77.026798,3a,75y,23.02h,106.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTLkakQhKQRhzO0ToNSi-OA!2e0

Assuming it is capable from a structural standpoint of being fixed, any developer who would be willing to tear down such a treasure and replace it with some POS stick-built apartment building...Well, let's just say there are visions of torches and pitch forks in my head.  This type of development is exactly what we do not need.  I hope there is something that can stop this development if the intent is to tear it down. 

As dubone pointed out, the building is built like a brick sh*t house.  It used to be an car dealership--its floors are designed to handle substantial weight.  Her brick facade is just that--a facade.  Behind that brick and granite is solid reinforced concrete and steel rebar.  

• Like 1

Yeah, if you look closely when you walk by, you see that the State PAINTED over granite at the base.   The structure is stronger than the structure they will be building.  Why can't they build their 6-story apartments on the other 3/4 of the block and retain this.   Even if they pulled all the brick and just put beige stucco, that stucco would be on a concrete base versus the plastic insulation base of what they're surely planning.  

It isn't even as though it is a masterpiece, but we have so few of these interesting old buildings with stories to tell, I just can't stand when they get replaced with schlock.  

There is little question that they structure itself is strong enough.   The brick façade is weak, but when the bricks are off you can see it is concrete behind it.    Ironically, that is because they put full bricks as the façade rather than brick tile like they do now.  

• Like 1

It would be nice if they already plan to retain it.  But given that most developers in Charlotte do not like the minutest bit of complexity from rehabbing an older structure, and the fact that something is coming through the system as a project in motion, my guess is the fate is already decided by the owners.  (Crosland, or some off-chute).

What is the most effective way to ensure this is not torn down? What options do we have?

I think to start would be to contact Historic Charlotte. 

Also, Mary Newsome is always up for saving historical structures...Contacting her as well might not be a bad idea.

Of course we have Ely and Will.

Finally, contacting the planning department, members of city council, and the county commission may be wise.

Like Dubone says, if a plan is already in motion, it may already have its fate sealed.  Since this site is not technically registered as a historic building, I think maybe the only way for the company to give it up would be to get the company a good dose of negative publicity if their intent is to tear it down and replace it with stick built sh!t.  Some of the stronger historical and housing societies in Charlotte seem to be able to kill projects they deem unworthy just by coming out against them very forcefully and getting some negative press.

BTW...here is the website to the group that submitted the plans http://colejeneststone.com/

Edited by cltbwimob

I picture a renovation like that of the Ivey's building. The condo units inside are actually very "urban chic." Having thick concrete between floors means having exposed ductwork and utilities, which I personally love, and pretty damn good sound insulation between floors. Set this sucker up like the Trust and you'll have some pretty expansive floor plans. Just, please, no Chima twin on the ground floor.

EDIT: when surrounded by buildings on each corner, who is going to notice how ornate the building is?  Keep the building if it is structurally sound inside.  Would it really save the developer money to demolish the building and rebuild?  I'd imagine that re-purposing a building would be much more cost efficient and save time in the process.

Edited by AuLukey
  • Like 1

Can someone give me the rundown of whats happening to the building? It seems like no one knows if it's getting the tear down or re-purpose.

Taking a quick look, it's not a looker, but more than half of that has to do with it's lack of repairs. Re-exposing the granite and making space for retail on the first floor will make this building worth a million bucks alone. I don't understand why they would paint over fine granite.

I'll ask a couple more NGO's if they are interested in historical preservation like Sustain Charlotte.  A coalition would be better than just one.

Come on guys, don't say, "It's a shame." FIGHT!

Can someone give me the rundown of whats happening to the building? It seems like no one knows if it's getting the tear down or re-purpose.

Taking a quick look, it's not a looker, but more than half of that has to do with it's lack of repairs. Re-exposing the granite and making space for retail on the first floor will make this building worth a million bucks alone. I don't understand why they would paint over fine granite.

I'll ask a couple more NGO's if they are interested in historical preservation like Sustain Charlotte.  A coalition would be better than just one.

Come on guys, don't say, "It's a shame." FIGHT!

This is technically a part of Fourth Ward, so Friends of Fourth Ward may also be a good neighborhood association to contact.

***Edit-there's also the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission***

Also, does someone actually know where to go to find a history of the building.  I have done a little research, but I have not found any good resources thus far.

Edited by cltbwimob

Here's another one in Dallas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.779343,-96.807988,3a,75y,304.2h,92.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqZbuXkT8edAOBjP9MO3Lzg!2e0!6m1!1e1

:shok:

Owner is "Trade Street Associates LLC".  The previous owner was Crosland.  Based on that history I I would guess the current owner behind that LLC is Northwood Ravin since they inherited much of Croslands property when they unloaded in the downturn.  If that guess is right, one could also try talking directly to them as well about what their plans are.

There doesn't seem to be anything left of the original proposal. 

600 apartment units, 50k retail. two 27 floor buildings. 

Here is the most recent proposal for this building. 

post-17104-1210336628.jpg

Pretty fun to go back in time and look at what coulda been.

http://localdocs.uncc.edu/CharCenterCity/Reports_Studies/CenterCityDevRept/2008_CCDevRept.pdf

Edited by Guest