500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

^^^Those plans came out in June according to Accela, and I presume they are for a full tear down and rebuild.  Any hint of changes recently since there has been some interest in saving the building?

Yup the retail has changed slightly. Currently it's a tear down and despite the fights there's little interest in saving Polk. People need to get louder if they want it saved. 

3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yup the retail has changed slightly. Currently it's a tear down and despite the fights there's little interest in saving Polk. People need to get louder if they want it saved. 

The question is who are we to direct our displeasure toward?  Is it the DOT? Is it the developer?  A few weeks ago, the developer wanted to save it but the DOT was standing in the way-now there is little interest in saving it?  Something just doesn't make sense.  

I think it would be best to start by trying to get the historical society involved.  It is currently on the study list of buildings to potentially be designated as historic landmarks and has been in the list for a couple years now.  This one has such architectural significance that I think it should be moved to the front of the line.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Not sure any renderings have been posted yet - this is from the approved plans in Accela on 4/25/17.

5-31-2017 1-06-48 PM.png

5-31-2017 1-10-56 PM.png

5-31-2017 1-11-37 PM.png

This isn't a current rendering, there will be a RTAP. Should be taller and not so Jetsons.

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

Phew!

yea it says "FOR UMUD REVIEW ONLY" this was their original 2008 proposal for the land that never happened, thankfully. They are just doing their due diligence and getting UMUD approved.

25 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

If they are over 7 stories, they have to use concrete between floors and it won't me a matchstick palace. 

Personally I think the days of sticks being built uptown are numbered, unless there is an accompanying high rise.

Edited by Guest

On 5/31/2017 at 1:26 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This isn't a current rendering, there will be a RTAP. Should be taller and not so Jetsons.

That's mildly disappointing. It looked like it would be vaguely art deco. I hope they do something that isn't the blocky contemporary BS architecture that we always get.

• 3 months later...