500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Finkle said:

The plans are stamped by the city March 2017, I'd say they are current.

They aren't current. Trust me. They were basically keeping an old proposal current in the planning department, for posterity. There will be a very drastic RTAP at some point. This will ulitimately end up at least 17 floors, the question is, does Polk stay, or does polk go. Based on a number of seemingly insurmountable factors it'll likely be gone, but there is a group of people that want to save it for a museum, but I don't think they are that well funded, so I doubt it'll happen. Hopefully I have some time to write today, so at least it'll be public one of these days.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

^Interesting. If you have a minute could you give a brief overview of why that is done? I assume it streamlines the process of getting approval for the final plan somehow?

Honestly, I'm going to have to guess here, as I don't have a 100% answer, I'll try to get one in case I'm incorrect tho. I'd imagine that the system gets archived every 10 years. Lets say the original proposal was from 2008, it'd be getting archived in 2018. In the case that it gets archived you might have to reapply for the same thing all over again. So basically they are keeping their project active so that it doesn't get taken down.

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Honestly, I'm going to have to guess here, as I don't have a 100% answer, I'll try to get one in case I'm incorrect tho. I'd imagine that the system gets archived every 10 years.

I think it is a little more strict then that...

" Beginning January 1, 2009, projects that have had no activity (drawings resubmitted or permit taken out) for 120 calendar days will be considered abandoned. Once the project is determined to be abandoned, drawings will be destroyed and fees retained. "

https://www.mecknc.gov/LUESA/CodeEnforcement/PlanReview/Pages/Abandoned-Plans-Policy.aspx

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I think it is a little more strict then that...

" Beginning January 1, 2009, projects that have had no activity (drawings resubmitted or permit taken out) for 120 calendar days will be considered abandoned. Once the project is determined to be abandoned, drawings will be destroyed and fees retained. "

https://www.mecknc.gov/LUESA/CodeEnforcement/PlanReview/Pages/Abandoned-Plans-Policy.aspx

Then there you go. Thanks for taking the time to look it up! I probably should have done that, I just emailed a contact that hasn't responded yet.

Edited by Guest

On 10/4/2017 at 12:02 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They aren't current. Trust me. They were basically keeping an old proposal current in the planning department, for posterity. There will be a very drastic RTAP at some point. This will ulitimately end up at least 17 floors, the question is, does Polk stay, or does polk go. Based on a number of seemingly insurmountable factors it'll likely be gone, but there is a group of people that want to save it for a museum, but I don't think they are that well funded, so I doubt it'll happen. Hopefully I have some time to write today, so at least it'll be public one of these days.

I'm assuming it's still Northwood Ravin.  I'd venture to say at roughly 17 stories this will be similar in design to their Stonewall project, correct?  Or should we expect something different?

I'm assuming it's still Northwood Ravin.  I'd venture to say at roughly 17 stories this will be similar in design to their Stonewall project, correct?  Or should we expect something different?

Really depends on the group that wants to save it. If they are successful, then NR would have to develop even taller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I really wish this building could be saved somehow.  Today. 

IMG_3428.JPG

There is a group that RDF has alluded to looking to save it.  They haven't gone public with their plans but from what I understand they've generated a fair amount of interest from businesses looking to help their cause.    If you want it saved, I would encourage you to be ready to donate to them when they go public.  I already have a figure in mind that I plan to donate to the group.  I don't want say too much right now but the cause is definitely worth it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

There is a group that RDF has alluded to looking to save it.  They haven't gone public with their plans but from what I understand they've generated a fair amount of interest from businesses looking to help their cause.    If you want it saved, I would encourage you to be ready to donate to them when they go public.  I already have a figure in mind that I plan to donate to the group.  I don't want say too much right now but the cause is definitely worth it.

https://www.ncmvhof.org/

I'll take a risk and label the group. Please don't share this outside of urban planet. I'd have written an article by now but I've been blindsided with work lol. This is the group.

• 2 months later...

Well another historic building lost in uptown.  That will be 2 lost this year with the Query Spivey building (600 S College) and now this the Polk Building.  I sure hope we can save the old Hall House on N Tryon.  It is always cheaper to tear down then renovate but still sad.  

• Like 1

I really hope the commitment to retail facing Trade St is there (in the rendering the largest space on the secondary building reads “Leasing”). Once the Gold Line is built out, Trade St will be our most important east-west route Uptown, and I hope is eventually as active for retail as Tryon St.

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, QCT1401 said:

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.  This architectural style has become so boring.   Every new building looks identical.  Hopefully the retail component is engaging

I think pretty much all the buildings have had a unique look so far.

Museum Tower, “Novel,” Ascent, Market Tower, Belk Theater Tower, 300 South Tryon, Kimpton, hotel beside Carillon, new courthouse, Legacy, Ally, Portman, etc all look distinct to me. Sky house as twin towers also is unique uptown. 

there are some similarities to this and the Stonewall project. But I think they’re more flashy buildings for Charlotte. A little more Miami or warm weather destination than CLT.