500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

I would not call this location infill. It’s a prime lot that I think with a bit more vision could have been better utilized. It’s just meh, but unfortunately it won’t be as easy to bulldoze this like the Mint or Circa when the time is right so we stuck with this probably for our lifetimes.

• Like 2

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JFerreira91 said:

This is the kind of project that pops up in different parts of non-central London. I really like it and I believe it is a nice infill for Charlotte.

On its own this project is pretty solid. But this is the center of Charlotte rather than somewhere like Southend (where this would be perfect). Uptown should push for better especially if they're going to tear down a historic building to make way for it.

On a more positive note, at least they're going to have 8,500 sq ft of retail.

• Like 4

On its own, I think it is a good project for Uptown. Sure, there are taller, more impressive residential buildings Uptown, but there are also much, much worse residential buildings. This would raise the collective quality and add a good number of bodies Uptown. The tragedy is that a historic building had to be lost for it, and that it can’t overcome. If it was an Ascent height level stunner, I’d be able to forgive it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good point, you all.
I missed the part that they did/are/will tear down a historic building. In that case that's a shame. But still hold the opinion that I like the project.

Over a 100 years old

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dubone said:

There is a part of me that thinks this project is a far cry from the density that this location deserves and ought to wait until a developer is bold enough to do that.  This SAME developer just finished a denser project on the side of a freeway on the edge of downtown., so a lesser building is disappointing.   A lot of infrastructure is going in. and most of this project is barely taller than the building they tore down.   

Any good qualities of the project, and there are some, are vastly outweighed by its lack of scale for its location, lack of scale compared to the century old building built with *stronger materials* that even still stood up as they tore it down around itself.  I'd love to see their chemical infused pine 2x4s try that in a century like the Roaring 20s concrete and steel sure did.  

100% agree...considering where this project is located, it seems like they are not utilizing the site as much as they could.

In general I think some apartments uptown take up too much valuable land area for such a small amount of units. Like these could have been another office tower or hotel on this lot and the apartments could go up higher vertically. Idk. 

In general I think some apartments uptown take up too much valuable land area for such a small amount of units. Like these could have been another office tower or hotel on this lot and the apartments could go up higher vertically. Idk. 

354 units could be 600 people maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

354 units could be 600 people maybe more.

Yeah but I’m speaking for how much land area that is going to take up compared to like The Vue that’s more so vertical than a combo of a mid rise and a low rise structure. It’s husg one high rise 

When this building completes, 2nd phase of gateway complex is about to begin and might last few years.

And after that might be silver line construction.

So might be less attractive to lease.

But after all these finished, this location is great.

The one silver lining of this building to me is the addition of quite a bit of retail on Graham and Trade and a nice, wide sidewalk on Graham. My feelings on the architecture overall probably goes without saying at this point - but I hold out hope for street level, which is more important.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...