500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

They could have literally built this on top of the existing Polk building.

The issue, as always, was the developer did not want to spend the money to renovate and do the extra engineering.

The building was from an era where things were ridiculously overbuilt. Go back and look at the demolition pictures. The facade was in poor shape, that is all.

Would they have to re-do the entire inside, plumbing, electrical, hvac etc? Of course. That is not an insurmountable feat, just additional financial cost which sadly few developers are willing to eat.

I hate to say it, but I think this project will look quite nice when it’s complete. This right here already looks pretty decent as far as size. Love the width and density, just wish it were about 6 floors taller. 

I agree. And I look at Stonewall street now and see Uptown 550 and think man, that’s an attractive building. Particularly next to Novel which looks incredibly VE’d and half cocked. Northwood Ravin builds nice deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

I might be biased because Davin Ravin let me go take some pictures from the Skylounge at the Vue, but I really agree, they build some of the nicest apartment towers, even if they are normally a little more expensive than the rest.

They didn't build the Vue, they bought it on foreclosure. It was built as a luxury condominium tower, but only 12 owners were able to close.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

They didn't build the Vue, they bought it on foreclosure. It was built as a luxury condominium tower, but only 12 owners were able to close.

Wish I was one of the them in 2011.  looked at a few in there at that time.  Sick 2 bedroom unit was 328K.  Those 12 or 16 that did sell are worth pretty penny and have well kept amenity packed building.  Unlike the pure condo buildings like Trademark, Avenue, 230S 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

Crap, you're totally right! I wish I had been a little older and had a little bit more money back then, I heard that the condos sold for dirt cheap.