500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

11 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

Crap, you're totally right! I wish I had been a little older and had a little bit more money back then, I heard that the condos sold for dirt cheap.

The dirt cheap is what doomed it. The appraised too high and couldn't be underwritten.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I love the stage of these buildings where the exterior is creamy butter yellow or lavender insulation and wish we could have a building that color for real.

But neither of those colors are blue glass or beige. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, dubone said:

What a pathetically short project.     The city is making  big idea plans for the Gateway Station development, but then Northwood Ravin only builds some stick built suburban apartments and a midrise that looks ridiculously short next to their own 50 story Vue and all the other highrises a few blocks away. 

Knowing they believed the Stonewall & Davidson location to be more worthy of proper investment with a 22 story tower, but in the heart of the city, near Gateway, Bearden, and a few blocks from Trade and Tryon only gets this silly little thing.   After tearing down a 6 story historic concrete and steel building built with higher quality and better materials than their home depot sticks, they could have at least tacked on some height.   

Northwood Ravin should be ashamed of this low scale, low quality mess, while the city and state try to build something great with Spectrum across the street.   They undervalued the heart of the city.   At least the Spectrum development will get to have nice views over top of this forgettable project. 

I think we can all agree that the retail and ground level activation this project contributes on Trade/ Graham is the best aspect.  And that it will allow 500+ people to live in the vicinity while Gateway gets ramped up.  But yes, tower could have gone higher and losing the building was terrible...

The best thing would be for this thing to fill up quickly to show that a bigger tower is warranted in this area.  Gateway right now is a snoozefest in terms of being a place where young professionals with money want to be. We need better dining options, so like someone else said, the retail could be the best thing to come out of this project. 

The condo prices show Gateways lower housing interest at $100+ a sqft cheaper than plaza or SE and probably 50 a sqft ft cheaper than the heart of uptown. With what Tepper wants to do along Cedar and Gateway station, it could become one of the hot areas imo. 

• Like 2

The best thing would be for this thing to fill up quickly to show that a bigger tower is warranted in this area.  Gateway right now is a snoozefest in terms of being a place where young professionals with money want to be. We need better dining options, so like someone else said, the retail could be the best thing to come out of this project. 

If Gateway is a snoozefest, imagine how bad this will be, with lower construction quality but similar density.    Meanwhile the highrises a block away around Bearden are ultra hot commodities that plenty of people are flocking to.   

6 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

The condo prices show Gateways lower housing interest at $100+ a sqft cheaper than plaza or SE and probably 50 a sqft ft cheaper than the heart of uptown. With what Tepper wants to do along Cedar and Gateway station, it could become one of the hot areas imo. 

That's true, when it gets hot, at least Northwood Ravin built a disposable building so we can get something good on this block when someone tears it down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

The project is alright from a Graham/Trade perspective but I cannot get over how horrendous the 5th street side is. No street level activation between Wilkes and Graham is inexcusable.

IMG_20200711_083147.jpg

IMG_20200711_083200.jpg 

CE37745C-2B5F-4687-AE64-DC2453DCAB11.jpegI think there’s at least something on that back corner. There’s a decent two story retail space looking area there. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dylansukkert said:

Look at that surface lot..... just imagine what kind of awesomeness could be built there!

I don't want to be a pessimist but probably stick built 5 story apartments, lol. And they better not tear down that old building on the corner!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, nyxmike said:

I don't want to be a pessimist but probably stick built 5 story apartments, lol. And they better not tear down that old building on the corner!

Too high of land costs, it'll never be a 5 floor apartment building, not without a 20 floor building attached. We will not see another Midrise apartment building in the central core of uptown again. And don't tell me inlivian, because I'm NOT. LETTING. THAT. HAPPEN.

7 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Look at that surface lot..... just imagine what kind of awesomeness could be built there!

I could see a really nice wide spread museum to cover most of the lot and some type of tower on top like the Mint and the apartments, though there are truly enough apartments here so many an office tower to go along with a museum. Either on top or beside. 

• 3 weeks later...