500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This quadrant of the city has the best exterior design apartment buildings. 

I would agree with you on that. 

With all of the high rise apartments planned for the outskirts of Uptown (NWR @ Midtown, Greystar @ South end, The Line High Rise & High Rises @ West Morehead, etc.) I think that High Rise Residential will slow for a year or two within the I-277 Loop.

3 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I would agree with you on that. 

With all of the high rise apartments planned for the outskirts of Uptown (NWR @ Midtown, Greystar @ South end, The Line High Rise & High Rises @ West Morehead, etc.) I think that High Rise Residential will slow for a year or two within the I-277 Loop.

In all honesty, with the sheer number of people moving to Charlotte, and the Offices opening back up in Uptown, I would not be surprised if construction escalates in 2022.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, atlrvr said:

Unpopular opinion alert!!!

The worst part of the Polk Building was how narrow the sidewalk was there.....I never wanted to walk on that side of the street, given maybe ~5' between there and speeding traffic on Graham.

This looks like 16' or so of pedestrian nirvana :)

Lesson: Just because it's old and has a story doesn't mean it was done well or deserves to last forever.  Embrace Progress (btw, just because it's new doesn't mean it's progress).

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

In all honesty, with the sheer number of people moving to Charlotte, and the Offices opening back up in Uptown, I would not be surprised if construction escalates in 2022.

Any chance 10 Tryon could go residential with a Publix on the ground floor, or does that have to be office?

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

Lesson: Just because it's old and has a story doesn't mean it was done well or deserves to last forever.  Embrace Progress (btw, just because it's new doesn't mean it's progress).

Any chance 10 Tryon could go residential with a Publix on the ground floor, or does that have to be office?

Probably wouldn’t with the CLT twin towers next door....

I would say the parking entrance is on the side as the building faces as it faces N Graham.   W Trade side is the front I would think and it does not want or the city did not allow left turns across the streetcar tracks into their garage.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I didn't realize the tower portion has a rooftop pool...that's pretty cool.  This project has always reminded of Uptown 550's little brother.  Those are some nice wide brick sidewalks too.

The community amenities are kind of bonkers. The website says they have two pools (the rooftop one is saltwater), a sauna, a steam room, a "tranquility room," coffee bar, and a FullSwing golf suite. Besides all the normal stuff like a fitness center and a package locker. Definitely very high end and on the bleeding edge of apartment amenities.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, InSouthPark said:

Can we soon stop saying that a saltwater pool is high end anything?  It's literally an extra thousand dollars.  I converted my 17k gallon my home pool to saltwater with $650 for the chlorine generator and a bunch of 40lbs bags of salt in about 2 hours.   And yet every place advertises their saltwater pool as some high end thing, not to mention it's cheaper to maintain.   

I read it as having two pools, one being saltwater and one being not, as the high end part to the amenity.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, jednc said:

I read it as having two pools, one being saltwater and one being not, as the high end part to the amenity.

I am not talking about how MadisonParkitect worded it.  I am talking about the way all these apartments (and Charlotte Agenda) advertise the luxury amenities like "resort-inspired saltwater pool".  I am saying...if a new apartment building doesn't have a saltwater pool, they cheaped out on a couple thousand bucks and probably cut every corner they could.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I am not talking about how MadisonParkitect worded it.  I am talking about the way all these apartments (and Charlotte Agenda) advertise the luxury amenities like "resort-inspired saltwater pool".  I am saying...if a new apartment building doesn't have a saltwater pool, they cheaped out on a couple thousand bucks and probably cut every corner they could.  

Gotcha. I had no idea how easy it was too convert to be honest. Interesting info.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jednc said:

Gotcha. I had no idea how easy it was too convert to be honest. Interesting info.

Yep, for a home pool, you just insert a salt chlorine generator between the filter and the pump (typically where the old chlorine tablet holder was) and dump a bunch of salt into the pool and bam, saltwater pool.   Most "non-home" pools have a chlorine injection system so you would just replace the old chlorine injection with the salt chlorine generator.  More costly for an apartment to convert because they are taking out a more complicated chlorine system but not really any more when building new.  

It's shocking to me more homeowners don't do it.  Its DIY in a few hours if you are comfortable with cementing PVC and tapping the control box into the 220v that your pump uses.  The only time you need to pay to add chlorine manually is to shock it or if it gets too low.  Heck, I only checked it once a week after I got it dialed in.   The salt is way nicer on the skin than traditional "bleach chlorine". 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...