UrbanCharlotte

500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

The print edition of the business journal (and I suspect today's Observer) has a rendering of this plan. I must say I'm quite fond of it. At about 10-11 stories it has decent mass, and it has a good mix of brick and glass.....nothing ground breaking, but certainly attractive and more modern than anything else around there.

Moderately priced uptown would be nice. Things are going crazy in the outer areas of downtown - Wilmore, SouthEnd, NoDa..

Where does a couple go to find a nice house near urban charlotte for under $250K ?

Moderately priced uptown would be nice. Things are going crazy in the outer areas of downtown - Wilmore, SouthEnd, NoDa..

Where does a couple go to find a nice house near urban charlotte for under $250K ?

There are lots of them, they just require some elbow grease and a little courage. I would suggest going to some of the local RE agent websites and doing a search on the sub-areas (e.g., 2-1) that immediately border the inner beltway with a max dollar limit of $250K. You'd be surprised how many come up, many for much less than $250k.

Now that I've seen a larger rendering of the project (in the print Observer today, anyone got a larger version online anywhere?) I take back my comment. It looks pretty good, especially fitting in with other mid-rises in the area.

Anyone notice that Cooper Carry was the architect for this one?

The city is scheduled to sell the land this coming monday. I don't see there being a problem.

The meeting on the 17th was a zoning meeting only.

I don't know. I certainly like it better now that I've seen a larger rendering, but it still doesn't strike me as anything particularly interesting.

When's somebody going to go out on a limb?

Besides the pink glass.

The city is scheduled to sell the land this coming monday. I don't see there being a problem.

The meeting on the 17th was a zoning meeting only.

Did anything happen last night with this?

Nobody answered my question on this and i was wondering if there was any news on it. In CCCP site 500 W. Trade as it is was suppose to go to City Council in March. What happened? Does anyone know where this project stands? Did everything go through o.k.?

So... like, they've disassembled all the sidewalk scaffolding and put plywood all over the first floor windows. What for? Anybody know? Is this the first step toward the building's demolition?

T minus 10...9...8...

You had to know that building would come down. It has the year "1925" in its facade. That is like a scarlet letter of shame in this town.

Oh yeah, I fully expected it to. The elements may have taken care of that before a wrecking ball could graze it. So, is this an indication that the condo development is progressing?

It is a shame that the state let this building get into such a bad shape.

To bring this building up to code would most likely be more than to build a new one.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

So this thing is up to 27 stories now? Sweeet.

EDIT: Make that 2 27 story residential towers.

"Well, in the meantime, you've seen the pictures in the paper of the Trinity development. We are hoping to build an important civic structure here. You put that next to two 27-story residential towers, and suddenly we're looking rather small." CBJ

Edited by UrbanCharlotte