500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

No one should or ever get banned for having a counter thought.  I love the Bank of America Tower at Legacy most of you do not.  I would rather the Polk Building been saved and restored than this new apartment tower but some do not.  The day this site UP starts banning people for thoughts different from others I am gone I can tell you that.  

I agree, and on a different (but related) topic BoA at LU looks amazing in person.  I love it.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2021 at 2:02 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Agree, that the Trade st frontage is very nice.  I'm just waiting for the church to sell that huge trapezoid parking lot for redevelopment.  It creates a massive gap in the area and could dramatically change the vibe of the entire area if developed into something decent.  

Also the JWU apartment building parking lot. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Anyone heard any tenant news? They've taken the window graphics off the Graham frontage and it looks like the tenant(s) have poured in their concrete inside. Seems like there's been some movement.

It's only vanilla space work. Prep for tenants, not actual work done by one

5 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Do you have firsthand knowledge of that? A lot of times the interior slabs won't be poured until the tenant is signed so they can place their utiities.

Yeah that is odd, but they do not have anything signed yet...or if they do, they are not the ones operating the permit. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was outside of this complex, 500 West Trade, that the bus driver was shot and killed on Friday in a road rage incident.  I've no idea what happened, but I drive pretty meekly when driving around my neighborhood in Wesley Heights and on into Uptown.  One never knows who might be ready to waste you for what they perceive as a driving offense.  I so want to advocate for center city living and walkability, but it's hard to stomach incidents like this and to continue to advocate.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, JBS said:

I ran by the shooting scene 40 minutes prior. I get your point but this was apparently a road rage incident and could easily have occurred in South Charlotte as Uptown. 

Sure, a gun can be discharged in rage anywhere on earth.  And I'm aware there have been road rage incidents in other parts of the city, especially along the interstate.  Are you likelier to encounter or be proximal to violent incidents when in the center city, however, than in South Charlotte?

18 hours ago, RANYC said:

It was outside of this complex, 500 West Trade, that the bus driver was shot and killed on Friday in a road rage incident.  I've no idea what happened, but I drive pretty meekly when driving around my neighborhood in Wesley Heights and on into Uptown.  One never knows who might be ready to waste you for what they perceive as a driving offense.  I so want to advocate for center city living and walkability, but it's hard to stomach incidents like this and to continue to advocate.  

That's terrible.   I must have driven by not long after this happened, Graham St was blocked from 4th St to 5th St, so I had to jump over to Mint St.  I wondered what was going on because I saw the bus sorta parked halfway on the sidewalk and there were police cars everywhere.  Haven't been following the news very closely so this is the first I've heard that it was a shooting.

I commute on Graham St basically everyday, and my disdain for it grows basically everyday.  The lanes are narrow which are not well suited for the industrial corridor that it supports.  The are manhole covers and potholes everywhere (the traffic volume and recent winter freezes have certainly not helped in this regard).  Intersections are atrociously configured which bottlenecks traffic on multiple roads.  Bike/pedestrian infrastructure is basically nonexistent.  No turn lanes anywhere (except at like two intersections).  And the drivers/pedestrians....I've seen a lot of bad drivers, and a lot of oblivious pedestrians, but nothing like Graham St.  Nobody knows what turn signals are for, how to turn off their highbeams, how to turn on their lights, how to plan their turns before the last moment, that green means go and red means stop, that the double yellow lines in the middle of the road aren't sidewalks, etc.  I mean Saturday morning there was hardly anyone on the roads, I'm cruising southbound on Graham near Camp North End when I see a Honda Accord going backwards in one the northbound lanes.  Then a couple blocks later at the CVS, my light is red so I'm just sitting there waiting for it to turn green.  There's an older lady in a motorized wheelchair on the sidewalk, waiting to cross Graham.  My light turns green and then she just starts puttering across Graham St, then gets about halfway across before she realizes that cars on Graham St have the green light, so she turns around and goes back to the sidewalk.  Wtf.  First off why didn't you just cross when you had the walk sign, and second why didn't you continue across once you were in the middle of the road?  I see this sort of stuff pretty much every day, and I wish I had a dashcam because most people don't even believe most of what I see on a daily basis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1