500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

It would just take a little imagination and willingness on the part of the developer.

Here is a historic mid-rise in Boston that will be "recycyled".

The Dainty Dot hosiery factory as it exists today (photo taken by KZ1000ps at Archboston)

post-1289-1179522913_thumb.jpg

A portion of the Dainty Dot facade is preserved in this new 29-story residential tower.

post-1289-1179522978_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, Charlotte developers don't have the will-power, and the neighborhood groups don't have the power to see this type of preservation through. It is a shame, because its a great old facade, and there aren't many of those left.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty sure that they're supposed to raze it and replace it with a ~11 story building. Sorry krazeeboi. I believe the reason they aren't rehabbing it is b/c it's structurally unsound.

:( I thought the scaffolding was also a sign of the buildings rehabilitation, but I guess not. It really could have been something special.

Well thats a shame. Its an attractive building. I thought that the scaffolding was for future improvements... That block of Trade St is rather depressing though, so I guess some improvements are better than none.

Very true. Some nice infill development along Trade from Gateway to Tryon would be very nice to encourage more pedestrian activity and then the JWU students could take their parents and out-of-town visitors for a nice stroll.

True, but its not a bad walk as it is, except for the occasionally questionable people at the Greyhound Station. I just hope they don't start working on both sites at the same time. I've noticed that Charlotte has a nack for closing the entire sidewalk when working on a new building.... very inconvenient for pedestrians.

Unfortunately, Charlotte developers don't have the will-power, and the neighborhood groups don't have the power to see this type of preservation through. It is a shame, because its a great old facade, and there aren't many of those left.

In this case there might not even be a neighborhood group to help preserve it. I doubt Friends of Fourth Ward considers it part of their turf, and there aren't any other nearby neighborhood associations I'm aware of.

Even though they weren't significant, some old structures in Uptown Charlotte continue to be demolished! The 3rd Ward Novare properties, now this building on W.Trade St. And I bet Hall House probably won't exist by 2009.

I assume Latta Arcade is well protected from demolition? I guess that will be the only old structure left in a few years.

Pretty soon, the only "old" buildings left Uptown will be 129 W. Trade, 400 S. Tryon and Wachovia 2.

In this case there might not even be a neighborhood group to help preserve it. I doubt Friends of Fourth Ward considers it part of their turf, and there aren't any other nearby neighborhood associations I'm aware of.

Its technically in Fourth Ward, right? Does Third Ward not have a neighborhood association (would they care)?

There is a 3rd Ward neighborhood association, though they aren't as vocal as FoFW. I'm not sure which neighborhood this would fall in, but both could raise hell about it if they wanted.

BTW...I'd be very surprised if 129 W Trade survives in its current form. It has been under contract at least 3 times with plans for exterior renovations. It's a shame, because I love this building.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I dont really know if this belongs here or not, but I was generally bored this Memorial Day and I decided to search the Cooper-Carry Arhitects website. Under the Work in Progress section of their portfolio, there is a section for 500 W. Trade, the Trinity Partners project. Well the orignal image of the project is shown, no surprise there, but there was another image of two 20-30 story condo towers on the site. It stated that there would be 600 rental residential units, 40,000 sq ft of retail, and 980 parking spaces. Does anyone know more about this specific design of the project?

here's the link:

http://www.coopercarry.com/portfolio/loadD...2&imageID=1

Ok so I dont really know if this belongs here or not, but I was generally bored this Memorial Day and I decided to search the Cooper-Carry Arhitects website. Under the Work in Progress section of their portfolio, there is a section for 500 W. Trade, the Trinity Partners project. Well the orignal image of the project is shown, no surprise there, but there was another image of two 20-30 story condo towers on the site. It stated that there would be 600 rental residential units, 40,000 sq ft of retail, and 980 parking spaces. Does anyone know more about this specific design of the project?

here's the link:

http://www.coopercarry.com/portfolio/loadD...2&imageID=1

They stated that it will be on 1.85 acres? How will they do that and will there be any work space for such a project. Looks great though.

I've never heard of this project having TWO tall towers. It was originally either a 10 or a 20~ story tower, but two 20~ story towers will be great density near the Gateway Station, and filling in the gap east of Gateway Village. I also agree that it will be a good step just west of the Vue.

I count ~25 stories on the Trade St tower, and the Wilkes and 5th Street tower appears a bit taller.

Well earlier in this thread, specifically page 5, someone posted about the site plan changing from a 10 story midrise with apts. to two 27 story towers with apts. I guess this suits that announcement, esp with a rendering. I wonder why we haven't heard or seen anything regarding this project in a long time. How is it coming along, last time I believe there was some contamination or something.

Ha. And I even posted the article link! :) But since that was a year ago, and there has been very little going on with this project since then (and with SO much going on elsewhere), I had completely forgotten.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../22/focus2.html

Either way, it is very good that this is STILL the plan, and the rendering makes appear to be a very nice residential project that has both density and a more elevated design. I'm very intrigued by the aparatus above the parking deck.

2.jpg

Says 600 Rental Residential Units.

This truly looks like a wonderful project...but are there any rumblings that this is "real" and soon to be formally announced, or is just just a sparkle in some architects eye. The 2 renderings that Cooper Carry has for the project, while both nice, are totally different, leading me to think there's no finalized plan. Maybe that's why we haven't heard anything or seen any action at the site. BTW, apartments would be a great use for this site, IMO.

It is hard to say what is going on with Trinity and this site, because everything I have seen has contradictory information. Even on the CCP site it says 400 units, 900 parking spaces, 30,000 sq.ft. of retail, 27 floors, but then lists it as $83 million and shows the picture of the building that is in the 15 story range. There is no way that the first rendering could hold all of that, and the price for the second rendering would be more than double the price CCP is currently listing. Very strange...

Nice rendering - a huge improvement over what's there - however it would block my cube's view of downtown :cry: I'll get over it though - that block needs all the help it can get. From that rendering there only appears to be street level shops on Graham - it's interesting they'd shift the focus that way vs. Trade.

From that rendering there only appears to be street level shops on Graham - it's interesting they'd shift the focus that way vs. Trade.

Interesting point, considering how much we all focus on the development of Trade. I can, however, see why they might want to create some synergy with the Dunkin/CVS/Cans strip along Graham. If the sidewalks were a bit more comfortable in that area, it would be one of Uptown's more walkable streets.

The rendering appears to me to front BOTH Graham and Trade. I agree, though, that Graham is well worth supporting, as it is a major street downtown, and growing as a retail corridor. It would be nice if they could have street parking and wider sidewalks, but there is not much space and the state controls it, so I wouldn't expect change on those elements only as redevelopment occurs. It is good to see a wider Graham sidewalk and planting strips on this project.

As nice as this project may be, it's still a shame that the Polk building couldn't be saved and incorporated into the project. A combination of old and new buildings gives a degree of authenticity not possible with 100% new construction block developments.