Hybrid0NE

same as topic...  

162 members have voted

1. 1. same as topic...

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe
    • God Save Us.

...I do think they may one day reach a point where it becomes a less desirable place to live b/c of the traffic issues and poor planning and the growth will slow.  Hopefully, this will happen sooner rather than later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, this is happening right now! Atlanta will not become a megalopolis because many people already want to leave there and some are leaving now for other cities in the South. I think other mid-size cities such as Savannah, Charleston, Columbia, Augusta, and Wilmington will end up becoming havens for people that have become tired of Atlanta's quality of life. Many people here in Columbia and my hometown are recent Atlanta transplants. If you ask them why they left, they will complain about the traffic, crime (which is high in Atlanta), and also the lack of identity of their community. They feel that they just live in a generic, plain city that does not take pride in itself.

Other cities in the South will be taking in more of the people that are moving from the North to relocate businesses and their families.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo and I are former forumers who used to post frequently in the South forum at SSP on Charlotte matters.  We go so disgusted by the fights and idiot moderators and admins there that we just left. (one of the admins there is only 16!)   

Neo then started this forum, and via IM, I found out about it the next day.  We have been here ever since.  In the time since then a number of great people have come to help us with UrbanPlanet.  We just crossed 80K posts today and will probably have 2000 registered members in the next week or so.  It's our hope to have a place to discuss urban matters in a civil and adult manner.  We are glad that all of you are here. 

We have more plans to add more features to UP in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found this website just by doing a Google search on developments in my hometown, and I am very grateful that I came across this forum. You guys are doing a fantastic job. It has been a pleasure to have debates and exchange of information about different cities here. I have been looking for a place exactly like this to give my opinions, thoughts and ideas on my hometown's developments as well as other cities. Thank you for making this website happen! :thumbsup:

Actually, this is happening right now! Atlanta will not become a megalopolis because many people already want to leave there and some are leaving now for other cities in the South. I think other mid-size cities such as Savannah, Charleston, Columbia, Augusta, and Wilmington will end up becoming havens for people that have become tired of Atlanta's quality of life. Many people here in Columbia and my hometown are recent Atlanta transplants. If you ask them why they left, they will complain about the traffic, crime (which is high in Atlanta), and also the lack of identity of their community. They feel that they just live in a generic, plain city that does not take pride in itself.

Other cities in the South will be taking in more of the people that are moving from the North to relocate businesses and their families.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kind of have to disagree with you Charleston Native. I do think that more people will eventually move to Charleston, Savannah, Columbia and make these cities the new havens of the south, but I still think Atlanta is a really nice place to live. Yes the have their share of bad traffic and crime, but so does Charleston, Columbia, etc. It's just all about where you choose to live and go in these respective cities (including Atlanta).

Here is a color-enhanced map of the southeastern US at night. The colors show the intensity of the light emitted. In the Florida section we used it to highlight the state's population centers and show the relative density of the metros based on how "bright" they are on the map. If interested, here is the thread.

Of particular note to me is the large footprint the Atlanta metro takes up, yet with a significant amount of blue (low light emission, low population density). The way the development pattern appears on this map, it does seem plausible that the I-85 stretch between Atlanta and Charlotte could "megalopolize" along that stretch into a continuous low-density developed area. Economically, they would remain as separate markets.

The image below is a cropped a piece of this image, which shows the entire United States, as well as southern Canada and northern Mexico.

senight1wn.jpg

That is an interesting map. Memphis looks vastly larger than Charlotte on there and you can actually see the river running through Jacksonville. Also, Birmingham looks bigger than Jacksonville. I guess this indicates more density though. I would say that Bham is more dense than Jax b/c of the hills and smaller lot sizes.

Man you know your mapping.

I would get lost.

The city I recognize in that map is Atlanta.The big red spot.

And Jacksonville,the green circle at the bottom right of the picture.

In the full map,of all the United States ,the Western United States,more like Mid Western, is not that dense.It looks all blue-ish.

I just figured out that those two dots are Gainesville and Ocala.  I guess I should know this b/c I lived in Gville for 4 years.  Orlando is not on the SE map.  My apologies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I could have cropped the map a little tighter, but I left part of Florida and Louisiana in there as reference points ... This link has Florida by itself. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Charlotte, unlike many cities, has zoning restrictions that reduce light pollution at night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this might not be environmentally friendly, but I think that cities should have excellent lighting at night, regardless of light "pollution". I feel safer with well-lit cities because I can see people and other things when I'm walking on a street at night. Reducing lights for the sake of "pollution", IMO, is not really promoting safety.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gosh that explains why LA is the only metro that gained more in population in the last decade. If life in Atlanta didn't suck so bad maybe it would have been #1. :whistling:

While I don't see a megalopolis occurring any time soon, I do forsee a large chunk of North Georgia, Southeast Tennessee, and Upstate South Carolina becoming more developed. Already in NW Georgia there are two new MSA's sandwiched inbetween Atlanta and Chattanooga, I'm talking about Rome and Dalton Georgia. These aren't huge towns, but they are the seats in counties of about 100K, and if they grow in influence to their surrounding counties, I wouldn't be suprised to see some sort of CSA emerging comprising initially of Chattanooga-Dalton-Rome-Atlanta, and then to the east as far as Athens, Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg, and the southern terminus being Macon. The area'd comprise of around ten million people by adding the current populations of these areas. Most likely more people will live, especially given the high rates of population growth forcasted for the next 25 years.

• 2 weeks later...

atlanta is very ghetto chic. no one else want there bad development and city design to show up around there cities. atlanta is coming to its big boom end. it is going to outgrow itself economics wise. its not going to be able to support itself in that ebdevor. dont lok for atlanta to be going to far in the next 20 - 30 years.

atlanta is very ghetto chic. no one else want there bad development and city design to show up around there cities. atlanta is coming to its big boom end. it is going to outgrow itself economics wise. its not going to be able to support itself in that ebdevor. dont lok for atlanta to be going to far in the next 20 - 30 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta is actually expected to grow by 2.4 million people by 2025. Atlanta will never outgrow itself. The city will continue to bring in major companies and provide a great place to raise a family. The traffic issue will hopefully be better in the coming years with more mass transit, new roads, and people moving into the center city.

Does houston have suburbs though? not at the scale of which Atlanta does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Houston land area & population: 579 sq mi, 1,953,631 (3,374 per square mile)

Harris county: 1,729 sq mi, 3,400,578 (1,967 per square mile)

Atlanta land area & population: 132 sq mi, 416,474 (3,155 per square mile)

Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Clayton counties: 1,713 sq mi, 2,914,587 (1,701 per square mile)

Suburbs? Harris county is as big as 4 of Atlanta's main metro counties and still has about half a million more people. The Houston area is just a lot more dense than the Atlanta region. If Houston were as small in land area as the city of Atlanta, then it would have even more large suburbs than Atlanta. As far as burbs go in the Southeast, I think Miami has everyone beat.

Houston land area & population: 579 sq mi, 1,953,631 (3,374 per square mile)

Harris county: 1,729 sq mi, 3,400,578 (1,967 per square mile)

Atlanta land area & population: 132 sq mi, 416,474 (3,155 per square mile)

Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Clayton counties:  1,713 sq mi, 2,914,587 (1,701 per square mile)

Suburbs? Harris county is as big as 4 of Atlanta's main metro counties and still has about half a million more people.  The Houston area is just a lot more dense than the Atlanta region.  If Houston were as small in land area as the city of Atlanta, then it would have even more large suburbs than Atlanta. As far as burbs go in the Southeast, I think Miami has everyone beat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Houston is a little more dense than Atlanta...not much though, from looking at those numbers.

Archived