1. 1. same as topic...

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe
    • God Save Us.

Metro Area.........2000............1990.........# Change.......% Change

Houston MSA 4,669,571......3,731,131.......938,440........25.2%

Atlanta MSA....4,112,198.....2,959,950.....1,152,248........38.9%

Is Houston bigger? Yes. Is it that great of a lead? No. From the US Census figures Atlanta grew much more rapidly. Not to mention that Dallas-Fort Worth is larger than both Atlanta and Houston.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston is a little more dense than Atlanta...not much though, from looking at those numbers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look at the the city figures...

Houston has more than 4 times the land area of Atlanta city and consistently more population density over that area. Atlanta doesn't have 579 sq miles anywhere that match Houston's 2 million people.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this assumes the same very bad and non-existant growth policies that exist in Atlanta would extend up I-85 and I can tell you this won't happen.  We are very in interested in NC of not having ATL style development here.  And to my knowledge none of the rest of the region is looking to reproduce the mess that exists in Atlanta.  (Although to varing degrees of success) 

I would not use the term megalopolis to describe Atlanta as that would imply there is some sort of huge city but in Atlanta's example this is not the case.  Instead you have a relatively slow growing core surrounded by no-character endless sprawl of vinyl cookie cutter house cul de sac development, big box chain store retail, and miles and miles of pavement. 

No. Megalopolis is not the word, how about Sprawlopolis?  Yeah, Sprawlopolis is a much better description.

BTW.  Welcome to the forum HybridONE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, you said "We are very in interested in NC of not having ATL style development here"!!

Why the hell are people from Norht Carolina so unjustifiably snobby??

I've got news for you monsoon - you have THE SAME KIND OF SPRAWL in your state. Charlotte is one of the biggest sprawling messes I've ever seen! It's just as bad as Atlanta only is not such a large metro area, thus does not yet sprawl quite as far.

It's a serious problem we have in the South East, here in TN it's just as bad! I believe your North Carolina Sh*t stinks just as bas as ours, so get over yourself!

Okay, you said "We are very in interested in NC of not having ATL style development here"!!

I've got news for you monsoon - you have THE SAME KIND OF SPRAWL in your state.  Charlotte is one of the biggest sprawling messes I've ever seen!  It's just as bad as Atlanta only is not such a large metro area, thus does not yet sprawl quite as far.

It's a serious problem we have in the South East, here in TN it's just as bad!  I believe your North Carolina Sh*t stinks just as bas as ours, so get over yourself!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take a chill pill timalucas. Its only a forum. :whistling:

I've got news for you monsoon - you have THE SAME KIND OF SPRAWL in your state.  Charlotte is one of the biggest sprawling messes I've ever seen!  It's just as bad as Atlanta only is not such a large metro area, thus does not yet sprawl quite as far.

It's a serious problem we have in the South East, here in TN it's just as bad!  I believe your North Carolina Sh*t stinks just as bas as ours, so get over yourself!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whoa whoa, easy there timalucas. the thing about atlanta is that it was really one of the first big cities in the south. so all of the up and coming cities (charlotte, jax, nashville, memphis, etc.....) have seen what not to do when it comes to sprawl. while these cities still have sprawl, it's still not as bad as atlanta. in fact, if you look at population, atlanta is the smallest city compared to those four cities i mentioned. then you look at it's metro number and it jumps from under 500,000 to almost 5 million people. this shows why atlanta is the kind of sprawl in the south. monsoon was right by saying that nc was not wanting to become like atlanta. it's not wrong to learn from other's mistakes. he's not being snobby about nc. just stating facts.

Okay, I agree I got a little carried away java script:emoticon(':)')

I had a long day and wanted to say something harsh - doesn't make it any less true though. People from NC are snooty. I'm from London myself, so what I'm doing in Knoxville I don't know! java script:emoticon(';)')

People from NC are snooty. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you missed that I am from SC.

In anycase, we don't appreciate comments such as that here at UrbanPlanet. Try to keep your comments to something befitting a mature adult even if you do have a bad day. The rest of us are not here to help you deal with your personal problems. It's really isn't all about you. :rolleyes:

Maybe you missed that I am from SC. 

In anycase, we don't appreciate comments such as that here at UrbanPlanet.  Try to keep your comments to something befitting a mature adult even if you do have a bad day.  The rest of us are not here to help you deal with your personal problems.  It's really isn't all about you.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I did miss that. I din't realize Charlotte was right on the border (just consulted the map) So maybe since you're from SC you're allright!

Also, for the record, I think Charlotte is a lovely place - and apparently good for astomomy due to the low light polution :blush:

Today in one of my history classes, my teacher was describing the sunbelt. he mentioned that possibly in a few years pending the enormous predicted growth, that there could be a Southeast megalopolis. He said that researchers have looked into the idea, giving the location from the Triangle ( including parts of northern VA), triad, Charlotte, Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, Atlanta, Columbus. Birmingham, and Chattanooga, and he said they called it ......

TRILANTINGHAM. Kind of awful, i know, but it is very possible. maybe not in the near future but possibly by 2030 to 2050.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why the hell are people from Knoxville so unjustifiably stupid? BTW - nice SunSphere... go back to your shanty in the TN wilderness.

Why the hell are people from Knoxville so unjustifiably stupid?  BTW - nice SunSphere... go back to your shanty in the TN wilderness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my mom's from knoxville and she's a teacher. my grandparents are from knoxville also. so please, do not group all of knoxville in your ignorant comments. then again, i'd be more than happy to let you say that at the halftime of a ut home game. ever been chased by 108,000 people?

Why the hell are people from Knoxville so unjustifiably stupid?  BTW - nice SunSphere... go back to your shanty in the TN wilderness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This type of comment is not necessary, and it reflects poorly on you. Treat other forumers with respect.

Uhh, he is from London if you read his post.  He just lives in Knoxville, probably for school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Came here for school but liked it and stayed. I am now working and raising a family in Knoxville - what a beautiful place to live!!

BTW, monsoon, I sincerely appoligize!

Oh no, I think all of you are mistaken. The NEXT Southeast megalopolis will be the combined cities of Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston. I-26 will become a huge connection to these cities and it will be 10 lanes wide from the Blue Ridge Mountains to the LowCountry coast. :lol: We will call the city: Greencharbia!! :rofl:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Drive safely, and remember to tip your waitress!

Jeez, I crack myself up!

• 2 weeks later...

Southeast florida is already a megalopolis right? So whats all this talk of the "megalopolis of the south." South florida has already run out of land due to the everglades preserves to the west. The northward and vertical growth (density) will only feed this megalopolis even more.

Archived